Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a set of 295/30R19 ContiSport 2 on the rear of my supra. But kind of notice that the life of them was not as long as I expected them to be.

A friend recomend me to go with the Michelin Pilot Sport, but the only diff. is that they come on 295/35 instead of the 295/30.

How much diff do you guys think there would be between the two.?

I have a set of Eibach spring and have the fender lip rolled, and have never had any problems with rubbing or anything like that.

And this is for city driving...do you guys think the Michelin would give me a bit better life than the Continentals

Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
4,972 Posts
The 295/35's are 27.1" in diameter, vs. the 295/30's at 26.1 and the stock tires at 25.1" I think a 295/35 is going to work very well for you on a stock body.

The Conti's have a treadware rating of 280 vs. the Michelins at 220, which would lead one to say that the Conti's will last longer. (though diff. manufac. tread ware ratings don't really line up)

Basically, any tire in that size range isn't going to last very long. It's the price you're going to have to pay for good looks. :p

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks RSA Supra.... Is funny that you meniton the treadware, This guys have the michelins and drive like maniacs and still get a longer life than me, and I drive very calm....

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you guys seen the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S they come in the 285/30R19 with a 400 Treadware!!!!.... in comparision to the regular Pilot sports ware of 220.
And the height of this A/S is 25.8

·
Vendor
4,400 Posts
i dont think the a/s's grip near what the pilot sports (or conti's do) i think they are the king of the all season tires, but they obviously dont stand up to our summer tires. if you do get them, let us know how they grip. fyi conti's also make a 315/25R19 (good luck gripping though)

from what i hear the michelins have a slight issue with wheelhop, you may want to look at your other options in the 295-315 sizes. at that level, there wont me many lol :) but definitely check it out.

·
Vendor
4,400 Posts
i went and checked it out for you...

315: 315/25R19 continentals (i dont know how wide your wheel is and you wanted to get away from these anyways)

305: 305/30R19 pirelli p zeros...might want to check these out.

295: 295/35R19 pilot sports and 295/35R19 yokohama avs sports
295/30R19 conti's...the ones you had, and 295/30R19 pirelli p zeros.

you should also look at 285/30R19 Bridgestone Pole Position S03's. these are EXCELLENT tires, i love them. they keep your aspect ratio pretty low, and as you said closer to stock (perfect would be 295/25R19) and i can almost garuntee perform better than the Continentals. FYI they fit on 10-11 inch wide wheels. and are 275 each...pilot sports in that size are 378 :eek:

the ironic thing is out of all of these tires, the conti's are 'supposed' to have the best treadwear. i really think you should look into the S03's, i dont think you will be dissapointed (and youll save 200 bucks)

Mark

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn''t think about the SO3.... how long have you had them?(miles). How do you feel is the tread ware on them...?

I would rather get something else beside the Michelins..they are too expensive.... at 378 each...

and my wheels are 19x10 on the rear...

·
Vendor
4,400 Posts
i havent had the s03's for a long time so i cant give you difinitive info on the treadwear. i have heard a lot of people talk about them, how they love the performance and i cant really remember the treadwear being brought up that much. those yokohama avs sports i had mentioned up there are also known for bad treadwear.

the s03's in my opinion are in the top 3 of street tires on the market (1. bfg ta kd's 2./3. bs PP s03 and gy eagle f1 gs-d3)

you may want to check out that tire as well... the goodyear eagle f1 gs-d3...every single word i have heard about these tires has been praise. they also are rated at a 280 treadwear...which is better than any of the other tires we have been talking about. they come in either 275/35R19 or 275/30R19 that would fit your wheel (biggest they have in 19's)

the s03 is also offered in 275/35R19 at $262 each, the gs-d3's in the same size are 264 each. personally i would go with one of these two in this size (275/35) they will fit on your wheels and they will give you some much needed traction in the 19 inch wheel category.

the reason id go with the 275/35's over the 285/30's in regards to the s03 is because that sidewall will benefit your traction more than those 10mm of width will. and like i said any of these tires will fit on your 19x10's.

if you want any speedometer calculations from stock to whatever tire size let me know, i made a calculator on my computer and can do it for you in a couple seconds.

regards,

Mark

EDIT - any other questions and feel free to IM me at 'AXAdiablo'

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks man... if I think of anything else I'll let you know...

·
MadPhotoCat
618 Posts
It's funny how many have stated that 19's are not the ideal size tires to have but then again, so many have them. Just a bit confusing! ????

·
Vendor
4,400 Posts
many have them because many feel that they are the best looking size for a supra (and i admit lots of them do look good) but for performance, be it handling or traction (oh lord traction goes to crap), or for your dollar, 19's are not a good choice, IMO.

·
MadPhotoCat
618 Posts
I see, 19's do look very nice! I have stocks and will be switching soon....I take it 17 or 18 would be best then. :) The new porsche carerra gt I think has 19 and 20s....go figure?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you want something to look good while you are in the city.. you can't beat 19" but if you want performance on the street then don't ... In my opinion you should drive carefully on the street and don't put others in danger... and put the crazy driving on a track and then you can get some smaller performance driving wheels and tires....

My 19" grip very nice... but then I really don't push my car too much on the street ..I just really enjoy driving it...
Is what ever you want ...after all is your car...look at all your options...

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If I could I would go back and get 18" but only b/c I would love to make it wider than a 10 on the back... something like 11 or 11.5 .and that is the only reason...

·
MadPhotoCat
618 Posts
If the consensus is that 19's would jeopardize performance and traction, then 18's it is. I find myself rolling at high speed on a normal basis or I just happen to bump into a turbo Porsche owner on the frwy ;) But 19's, they look so nice! Oh well.

11.5 on the rear?? I have seen some cars with rims that stick out, don't like. I would like to find a nice set that hits the edge perfectly....I've seen a few, when it's time I write them and see what they have on theirs.

·
Vendor
4,400 Posts
check out Marcus Frost's car on T04R.com, perfect offset IMO. they are 11.5 rears.

·
MadPhotoCat
618 Posts
Hmmmm if you blow up the shot of the rear wheel, you can see where his lip is rubbing on his rear tire...not a good thing. :(

·
Vendor
4,400 Posts
Hmm I didn't notice that, I suppose that if you raised the car a bit, it wouldn't be an issue. The offset though, looks awesome, IMO.

·
MadPhotoCat
618 Posts
Yes, I agree with the look but not the functionality :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts