Supra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Heavy Metal Momentum
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm nearing the end life of my old street tires and will need something with some grip soon. I have set of 17x 8.5 and 9 wheels and am looking for opinions on good sizes for these wheels.

Currently I've got 235/45 and 265/40 on 17x8 and 9s and was wondering if I should go with the next width up or do folks tend to like more narrow tread compared to wheel width for transition/agility?

I'm thinking I'll use the new Azenis although I've found some Hoosiers (A305?) in 275/255 for a good price. I figured maybe I should learn a little more on good traction before going to great traction.
Thanks for any opinions,
Brian

·
AKA Muddy
737 Posts
Haven't you been autoxing for a quite a while now? I like the Azenis, but I would probably go with 245 F and 275 R Kumho v710s, only because you have staggered wheels. The v710s should last longer than hoosiers.

·
Registered
90 Posts
As a rule-of-thumb for autox, you want the widest tire with the shortest sidewall you can fit on a given rim. The short sidewall will help transitional response if on the front of the car, and will typically provide better gearing if on the rear of the car.

If you're running Hoosiers or Kumhos, the stiff sidewall allows for a slightly oversized tire compared to a street tire. Hoosier makes a 245x40x17, which would be a good fit for an 8.5" or 9" rim. A 275x40x17 would give you a wider contact patch, but the extra sidewall would probably offset that benefit for autox. I'd stick with the 245x40x17, or 255x40x17 if you could find it.

Kent Rafferty
93-gt35r

·
Registered
934 Posts
just dont go nuts w/ the super wide rears then skimp on the fronts. the fronts are wats going to help u with the turn in.... dont think power oversteer will help u going INTO the corner....

·
AKA Muddy
737 Posts
Well, Kent knows a heck of a lot more about autox than I do. :D

Another suggestion would be to try a more durable race tire, like the Avon Tech RA, kumho victoracer (shaved), toyo ra1, or even a hoosier R3s05 (06). These would be a nice compromise between a falken azenis and a full-on autox tire and they will last longer and won't be so easy to flat spot. ;)

·
Registered
934 Posts
personally im all about the ra1's... those other ones are almost racing slicks, cant really drive um on the street

1 - 6 of 6 Posts