Supra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping someone may be able to help me with some tire fitment questions, Ive searched all over and cant find a definitive answer.
I am looking at purchasing some Volks in a 18x9 +40 offset and 18x10 +38 offset and want to know if Im kidding myself that I can fit a 295/35 R and 265/35 F on these wheels without wrecking my fenders or getting that 1970's Firebird tire buldge on these things ? I have adjustable Teins at al corners and can roll the fenders if needed, I just dont want to invest the $$$ and this thing look turdish.
Thanks again for any help guys and gals.
Jeff

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been searching all over and can't find pics of anyone running this tire/wheel setup just so I can put my mind at ease.

·
Your Neighborhood Pikey
3,341 Posts
wont fit in the rear without rolling/cutting the fenders. 295/35's on a 10" +38 wheel are going to rub severely. They wont stick out past the fender though.

Be careful on the 265 front; they will probably look too wide on a 9" front wheel. I run a 255/35 on a 9" wheel now, and they are just about perfect; wide will look buldge the tire a little. You may not want that on a front wheel.

·
Registered
421 Posts
yea, with fender rolling that will fit no problem. I have 315's stuffed under mine with rolled fenders, I think thats about the limit on stock bodies supras

·
Your Neighborhood Pikey
3,341 Posts
I have 275 on my 18x9 with 40 offset in front, doesn't bulge, imo it actually sits perfect. On my rears I got 275 on a 9.5 and It looks like it needs 285 or 295s.
Could just be a difference in tire I suppose. Not all tires are exactly the same dimension.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I havent decided on the exact tires I want yet but have read that these two tire sizes are almost the same height, I thought about 305's but I thought that was pushing my luck.

·
Is it turbo? Is it stick?
4,560 Posts
You dont have to really worry about them being exactly the same height honestly...
and I agree that a 265 on a 9 will look strange. I have a 245 on a 9 and it looks great IMO... I would say a 245 or a 255 max on the front, anything more is going to bulge and also be less responsive with steering.

A 295 on a 10 will bulge too but if you're going for that in the rear then its fine... and I think you should definitely be able to fit it without much trouble, but you may need to roll your fenders depending on ride height and alignment... if you're ok with that then go for it and then do what you have to to make them not rub.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats what im concerned about is the tires looking too wide for the wheel, but I dont want to cut myself short on rubber either. I dont mind dropping the fronts to a 255 but dont really want to go smaller than 295 on the rear and these volks I am looking at are only available in 9" and 10" wide.
this is sounding about like how my luck runs...

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was leaning toward bfg kdw's or some nitto NT-05 or the Invo's.

·
4,560 Posts
Gotcha... well it really depends what you're looking to get out of your car... straight line, road racing, just street driving?
I think the 255 / 295 combo would work well but I just really don't see any benefit to trying to go wider on the fronts with a 9" wheel. A 285 on the rear might fit better though honestly...

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I mainly run the car at the texas mile event and drive it some on the weekends, I need something with a good enough speed rating to pass tech and wide enough to hold the power on the car. My only other option for a wider setup are ccw classics and I was just wanting something different. The sizing on the front was primarily to keep the same height front and rear.

·
4,560 Posts
What about a 275 or 285 drag radial in the rear? That'll have much better traction than a 295 summer street tire... it'll wear out quickly but it depends how many miles you put on it. I'm looking at doing a 275 drag radial with plans to hold 550-600 whp on my 'weekend warrior' and it should have much better traction than my Yokohama AVS 295s that I have now.
But hey all of this talk is kind of nitpicking since I agree with the rest that what you're looking to do should fit, if you're ok wtih rolling your fenders.
I wouldnt worry about perfectly matching the tire height, as long as its close it'll be fine.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the info, I am hoping the guys at discount tire will be cool with letting me try these sizes before the check out...nittos site says they work well on a 9 and 10 setup so we will see.
Thanks again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts