Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of MKIV wheels 17x8 and 17x9 1/2" and I need tires for them.

First of all I don't know what size to put on them. It looks like stock is 235/45-17 frt and 255/40-17 rear. They have 235/40-17s on the frt and 275/40-17s on the back.

So if I just replace the tires with the same size that it is currently mounted with I shouldn't run into any problems such as rubbing or poor performance in braking/cornering/acceleration?

I am hoping to be putting these on a car that will be driven a lot, including to vegas hopefully. The tires should be making the transfer of 350~ hp to the ground. And I am probably going to tear the first set of rear tires up in little to no time at all. So I think I am going to go with a cheap Kumho ESCTA MX tire, then Michelin PS2s for my next set, hopefully on a different rim.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
yep, those sizes would be ok. I would not cheap out on tires, get something decent, it can mean the difference between coutering the unexpected or not being able to.
Kumhos are a ok tire , i have them on my 240. not bad at all.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am also considering the ZEON 2XS, but I don't know anything about this tire :( what I do know is that it is a local business and I have friends that work there (Cooper), but how do they compare to Kumhos for about the same price?

·
Super Moderator
11,146 Posts
For the money, my two favorites are Falken and Sumitomo.

·
slowly giving up...
1,069 Posts
mine are wrapped in falken azenis rt-615's. 275/40 rear, 255/40 front.

-shaeff

·
RoastBeefCurtain Commando
6,015 Posts
the sizes on them now is fine. You will notice a nice difference in those sizes.
Also dont cheap out on tires.
Even on my power levels I dont spin my AVS-ES100's much at all. Only in 1st when hitting full boost from a low throttle roll. Other then that they hook very nicely and handle well.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Falkens are bad ass. my experience with them has been good so far.

are you looking for a sticky tire or more towards longer life, all season, or summer?

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
KLH2004a said:
I am looking for summer only, and I suppose I am leaning toward stickiness.
try to go for something in the 270 280 range [nice and sticky] for summer the azenis are nice. i dont know if i can post where i get my tires from [dont want to get banned] but they have nice prices and often put sets on ebay.

PM me for the site :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't think they would ban you for posting the site, since from what I can see on the sponsor websites, they do not sell tires. So it wouldn't be counter productive to the "business"

·
Boost Addict
622 Posts
that's the size I have on the rear of mine, 235/45 on the front, Falken 512's (I drive mine year-round). I'm thinking of putting a 245/45 on the front next time though, the 235/45 looks kinda smallish when compared with the way the 275/40 fits the wheel.

·
Always playing catch up
1,632 Posts
not sure if they have it in that size, but ill swear by kuhmo mx's on all my cars, awesome grip, some of the best you can get for the price

<l><l>

·
function > form
512 Posts
I rolled on 235/45 and 275/40, looked good in my opinion. Didn't stretch the rubber or anything. One of my buddies has 285/35 on the rear of his turbo SC300. Looks real aggressive, just difficult to find that size.

·
Dont question the good Dr
474 Posts
I used to work in a tire shop, and i have lots of experience with all sorts of tires on our cars. Ive had probably 20 different tire setup's on my supra in the three years i owned her. here were my favorites by far:

I ran Hoosiers at a drag strip (LACR), jesus christ i thought i was gonna drop the rear end. best hook up i ever had and they never let go, not once, not in 40 degree cold, not in 110 degree heat. awesome, phenomenal tire. This is however, not a street tire, although it is DOT legal i believe.

My second favorite tire-
Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Posistion's
This is an exceptional all season, high performance tire. I will make mention of the fact that with these tires i felt i had as much grip in absolute pouring rain, as i did in dry daylight. A great tire, i got almost 15k miles out of them, and it was only the last 1000 miles or so that i finally felt them loosing their performance. Their dry weather performance simply blew me away. I went to the track with these, and picked up 2 tenths immediately, having run goodyear eagle RS-A's before.

My third favorite tire-
Toyo RA-1
This tire had similar performance to the S-03's, however its wet weather perfomance wasnt quite what the S-03's was, and i only got about 11k miles worth out of them. In dry weather id say they were just a quarter notch below the S-03's performance. If i was looking for an all around best bang for your buck, and S-03's couldnt be found, i wouldnt hesitate to put these back on my car.

my 4th favorite tire was the goodyear eagle F1 runflat's. These are the same tire found on late C5 and C6 vettes. a great all season tire, wet weather performance was ok, not quite what i had expected. Dry weather was fairly good, but i didnt feel like i was 'planted' in the car with these on. I will also note that i noticed a little bit of excessive road noise on long trips with these tires, something i never really expected with most of the other tires i ran. I got rid of these after about 3k miles, i sold them to a friend and used the money to help buy my RA-1's

My 5th favorite tire i ran was the yokohama AVS sport, y rated of course. Exceptional dry weather perfomance. I ran the dog snot out of these going up and down the front way to Big Bear *socal's baby version of Mt. Akina, second only to highway 2/Little and big Tujuga road* I pushed and pushed, and they never gave me the feeling that i was going to loose control. Their rough terrain and wet weather performance left me a little disappointed to say the least, especially considering their price. I was only able to get about 5k miles out of these before the wear bars showed. Im sure i could have gotten better mileage, but i pushed these tires to the limits, everyday i had them.

other tires i ran that i should mention:

goodyear eagle RS-A *these are the tires that police cruisers and interceptors run FYI*
falken azeni's RT-615 *i think that was the # not sure*
kuhmo ecsta supra *i had to try them, for the name alone*
pirelli corsa asimetrico *buddy let me try them for a week, from what i could tell pretty good tire, not enough time on them to give a good judgement*

Thats about all the tires ive had on my supra. I hope that this helps you make a decesion. IIRC all those tires come in the size for the 17 inch MKIV wheel. PM me if you have any other questions.

·
Boost Addict
622 Posts
red88turbo said:
My second favorite tire-
Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Posistion's
This is an exceptional all season, high performance tire. I will make mention of the fact that with these tires i felt i had as much grip in absolute pouring rain, as i did in dry daylight. A great tire, i got almost 15k miles out of them, and it was only the last 1000 miles or so that i finally felt them loosing their performance. Their dry weather performance simply blew me away. I went to the track with these, and picked up 2 tenths immediately, having run goodyear eagle RS-A's before.
TireRack lists these as max perf. summer (The Potenza S-03 Pole Position provides max performance that lasts, however like all summer tires, it is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.) - I know you're in CA, but did you ever get to try these in light snow (1" or less)? If they would work in winters here (occasionally gets near freezing or just below, light snow once or twice), I'd like to try them next time I get tires.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
CassMori said:
TireRack lists these as max perf. summer (The Potenza S-03 Pole Position provides max performance that lasts, however like all summer tires, it is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.) - I know you're in CA, but did you ever get to try these in light snow (1" or less)? If they would work in winters here (occasionally gets near freezing or just below, light snow once or twice), I'd like to try them next time I get tires.
That is a big no no :1poke: just a get a high performance all season.

·
Dont question the good Dr
474 Posts
I drove my supra withe S-03's in heavy rain monsoon type rain, light drizzle rain, slush *when rain and snow mix on the asphalt*, and in snow covered roads. I live in the high desert of southern california, our summers are some of the hottest in the state, and our winters are also some of the coldest. We get rain, hail, sleet, snow, freezing temperatures, all of that good stuff. I drove my supra with the S-03's through all of that, and i can honestly say that the S-03's not once ever failed me in any weather condition. I understand what their rated as, but i gave my personal account of the tires performance in all the conditions i drove on them. I stand by my personal account, not what a website states.

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
KDW2's... for the win. If you dont want to drive in the rain, KD2's. sticky as all get out. they will last a good while as opposed to Yoko/Advan A032 or A048's.

stock MKIV tt is 235/45 and 255/40. i would say put at LEAST a 255/40 up front and a 275/40 in the rear. ive seen as wide as 305's in the rear of a stock TT rim. so you can put as much tire on there as you can afford!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts