Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here drives with different tires in the front to the rear. (2 of the front are the same and 2 in the rear are the same) the front and rear are different brand names. Any suggestions? bad experiences? Cuz my fronts are fine, but the rear are burnt to hell.

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
mkivcl94 said:
Anyone here drives with different tires in the front to the rear. (2 of the front are the same and 2 in the rear are the same) the front and rear are different brand names. Any suggestions? bad experiences? Cuz my fronts are fine, but the rear are burnt to hell.
I wouldn't recommend it. I ran that way for a while.... handling changed w/ temperature. Not predictable.

Andi

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Andi. I don't think I'll do that then. BTW you got a nice car. I learned alot from your web page. I find it from time to time searching for Supra stuff, can't help but read it. Also, do you know how to drift around corners really good, considering you do alot of tracks, not just drag racing? Thanks.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I have this on my supra right now because the rears wore out faster. I do not recommend do this if you can avoid it. As Andi says, if you set it up wrong you get some unpredictable handling. Take for example my daily driver/autoxer, snap oversteer on a fwd car is very bad and could result in an unfortunate close encounter with a guard rail at 40mph.:eek:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, if you have to run different tires front/rear I would run a high traction tire in the rear and lower traction in the front so that you would always push.

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
mkivcl94 said:
thanks Andi. I don't think I'll do that then. BTW you got a nice car. I learned alot from your web page. I find it from time to time searching for Supra stuff, can't help but read it. Also, do you know how to drift around corners really good, considering you do alot of tracks, not just drag racing? Thanks.
Thanks for the kind words.

Yes I can drift aight but I try not to do it too much on the track, it's slow and real expensive on the tires.......

Andi

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
greensoup said:
I have this on my supra right now because the rears wore out faster. I do not recommend do this if you can avoid it. As Andi says, if you set it up wrong you get some unpredictable handling. Take for example my daily driver/autoxer, snap oversteer on a fwd car is very bad and could result in an unfortunate close encounter with a guard rail at 40mph.:eek:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, if you have to run different tires front/rear I would run a high traction tire in the rear and lower traction in the front so that you would always push.
It's not about setting it up right or wrong, having different tires front to back is just plain bad because.... remember, a tire isn't simply a "high grip" tire or a "low grip" tire. Tires have complex multi-dimensional grip curves depending on a lot of factors including temperature, moisture, amount of standing water if any, etc.. Tire A may have more grip than Tire B in the dry at 70 degrees, but Tire B may have more grip than Tire A at 150 degrees.

What does this mean? It means as you're driving the car, the handling of the car will change, i.e. the handling is not predictable. Anybody who was at the Tx2k1 blimp base remembers how sideways I was at every single corner. Why was this? I had S-02PPs up front and Pilot Sports in back. At normal temperatures the car was pretty neutral and predictable. But the Pilot Sports get greasier / lose grip with temperature more drastically than the S-02PP's.... which meant that as I raced on the road course, each lap would cause the rear end to become more and more slippery. It made for quite a show but like I said....... don't do it.

Get the same tire all around.

Andi

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK then.....

If thats the case, what brand and type tire would you recommend for all 4 that will have the right balance of grip in the corners and in accelerating into the straights. I have been having problems with traction as i come out of the turn, the car tends to want to go sideways because of less grip in the rear, I have Nitto 555's in rear and stock in front, could that be why? or is it my driving?

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
Re: OK then.....

powersoundsupra said:
If thats the case, what brand and type tire would you recommend for all 4 that will have the right balance of grip in the corners and in accelerating into the straights. I have been having problems with traction as i come out of the turn, the car tends to want to go sideways because of less grip in the rear, I have Nitto 555's in rear and stock in front, could that be why? or is it my driving?
That's just all about how you drive the car. If the car is setup nicely with a neutral suspension, then that's how it will be. I can be taking a sweeping turn at 100mph in my car or Jeff Watson's car, and in 4th gear if I give it too much gas, the rear end will come around. That's just the way powerful rear wheel drive cars are.

Now if you want good street tires that have great dry grip, look no further than BFGoodrich G-Force TA KD's. I run these and I love them. Read the newest issue of Sport Compact Car in the G-Games article and they talk a lot about these tires as well.

Note that the KD's aren't that great in the wet. The best tire for compromise dry and wet that I've tried is the S-02 Pole Position.

Andi

1 - 8 of 8 Posts