Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering has anyone thought about installing some titanium valves in their 7M head! Ive searched and all i see is stainless steel valves which in my opinion is pointless. Reason i ask is because i have access to make this happen, just want to see others opinions on this.

Im talking Titanium Valves,retainers,and locks.

·
Frozen Lake Driver
1,292 Posts
I've got Titanium Valves. Haven't really had much running time with them yet but certainly no problems thus far.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how much did they run you if you dont mind me asking. Brand? where did you purchase them.

thanks
-Saif

·
Frozen Lake Driver
1,292 Posts
I Bought them through my cousin at one of the parts places up here. Think I paid about $650 for them. I believe the brand was Ferrea. I'll see if I can find the receipt and see just how much I paid and which brand.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im assuming that was just valves, where they new or used.

thanks

·
Member *****Supra's
1,069 Posts
I've seen a complete set for 2k can't remember where from though..

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stainless steel kits are going 1200+

How bout 4 angle cut titanium valves, retainers, locks for $1000 !

·
Frozen Lake Driver
1,292 Posts
brand new in seperate packaging. I got them on a sale that the Store was having on a huge list of brands and Ferrea happened to be one of those brands so I got a huge deal on the valves. My Machinest made some comments on them about having to grind a lot to seat with the head, But I think that might have been because of my cam lift.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Stock Intake

Titanium Intake (still wasnt fully done)

Our donor 7M head

More custom valves

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
Was wondering has anyone thought about installing some titanium valves in their 7M head! Ive searched and all i see is stainless steel valves which in my opinion is pointless. Reason i ask is because i have access to make this happen, just want to see others opinions on this.

Im talking Titanium Valves,retainers,and locks.
I don't see why you believe stainless valves are pointless. The main reason to get new valves is to go oversize, just doing stock size valves of any kind is pretty pointless. I don't know of anybody that's revving a 7M high enough (save maybe Mibrum's crazy dragster) that they'd need titanium valves to prevent valve float. Titanium valves sure won't make you any more power than stainless, and I see no reason to spend the money unless you're having valve float issues. I don't know if you're just used to big block chevy valves the size of coasters, but valve float is an exceptionally rare problem on a toyota motor.

·
Frozen Lake Driver
1,292 Posts
Wow didn't read the other posts. I'm thinking i'm definitely gonna have to find that receipt. I Will find out exactly what kind of valves they are.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't see why you believe stainless valves are pointless. The main reason to get new valves is to go oversize, just doing stock size valves of any kind is pretty pointless. I don't know of anybody that's revving a 7M high enough (save maybe Mibrum's crazy dragster) that they'd need titanium valves to prevent valve float. Titanium valves sure won't make you any more power than stainless, and I see no reason to spend the money unless you're having valve float issues. I don't know if you're just used to big block chevy valves the size of coasters, but valve float is an exceptionally rare problem on a toyota motor.
I understand going stock size is not gaining more power, it is more efficient than stock valves. these weight half of what stainless steel valves do! puts less stress on your cams/bearings. Your freeing up alot of weight up top which will allow you to rev higher without worrying about valve float. If you actually see how the stock retainers fit in our springs, they are sloppy, the stock valves are also sloppy in the guides! So revving the 7m high enough, there is a good chance of valve float. I know not many people here rev the 7m much, but im talking about all 3 motors (1j/2j/7m)

Giving the 7m guys another option

·
Registered
747 Posts
I totally agree. I am running the BC stainless coated valves and will rev out to about 8k. But am running a 2jzgte. I see no need what so ever to use those expensive valves on a 7m especially if your not planning on reving it super high. 2j guys that run SS valves run 9k+ all day without issues. Spend the money elsewhere.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Titanium has a stronger weight ratio. Steel can be stronger overall if the weight doesn't matter.

·
1,257 Posts
Its cool, but kindof pointless.
Especially when everyone is having great success with stock or oversized steel valves.

Do you think the 'slop' could just be worn out guides?

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Its cool, but kindof pointless.
Especially when everyone is having great success with stock or oversized steel valves.

Do you think the 'slop' could just be worn out guides?
I was thinking more on the weight factor, and the ability to run different springs (lighter) which makes a big difference and less weight the cams are pushing down!

As for slop, This was a head with 90*** miles on it, so im sure being used that much would wear them down, what i should do is get new guides and stock valves then compare them.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Most any high rev high power 7m is using a dual spring with the dual spring type seat locator and dual spring type retainer. They are not sloppy. The worlds most powerful 7m revs to 10,000 rpm with ferrea stainless intake valves. No problems. Used to use the ferrea stainless exhaust valve also, but the high heat made the use of inconel to be a good choice for it later on.

If you want a lighter weight valve, ferrea already makes a hollow sodium filled valve for the 7m.

If you can keep the cost down on a set of valves like that, I am sure some 7m guys are going to want some.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Most any high rev high power 7m is using a dual spring with the dual spring type seat locator and dual spring type retainer. They are not sloppy. The worlds most powerful 7m revs to 10,000 rpm with ferrea stainless intake valves. No problems. Used to use the ferrea stainless exhaust valve also, but the high heat made the use of inconel to be a good choice for it later on.

If you want a lighter weight valve, ferrea already makes a hollow sodium filled valve for the 7m.

If you can keep the cost down on a set of valves like that, I am sure some 7m guys are going to want some.
So for 1k do you think its worth it?

·
Registered
998 Posts
so what are you gearing up to sell these?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts