Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings All!!
This is my very first post on supraforums and I apologize for asking such a repetitive question. My car is currently in the shop and had the leaking water pump replaced. I decided that this was a good time to do some extra mods. I can't make up my mind on the pulley set. I have read the "archives" on this topic. There are good arguments for and against the pulley set but it's a 50/50 split. I donated my OEM crank pulley to another MKIV owner when his broke because I was certain at the time that I would purchase the Unorthodox set. So either way I'm going to have to purchase a new crank pulley. I've heard that the OEM is prone to breaking under high horsepower loads (my future goal is 500-550rwhp). I've also heard that Unorthodox one is bad for the motor and causes alot more underhood and cabin noise but is stronger. Sorry for the long post but I must make a decision on this by Monday. Good, sound advise is well taken so help me decide. Thank you in advance.

·
Supra OG
2,392 Posts
The stock pulley is not prone to breaking. I don't know where you heard that. And, yes, the consensus is not to replace the stock one with an Unorthodox pulley because the UO pulley does not have the harmonic dampening.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

I have been told by more than a few MKIV owners who are in the 500 - 700 rwhp and a couple of different mechanics experienced with modifying MKIVs that the OEM crank pulley sometimes cracks or breaks under extreme load from the motor. Something to do with rotational mass of the pulley. I'm confused as well.........:)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Opinions from anyone else??????

Has anyone had problems with the stock crank pulley?

I just don't want to make decisions on which mods to do based on the flip of a coin.

For the record, reliability and quality performance are of utmost importance to me, as I'm sure it is to many others in this forum.
My supra is not a daily driver nor is it a future track winner. I enjoy driving it aggressively on occassional weekends and I've had it to the track a couple of times. I also attend as many supra meets as I possibly can. I'm just building a powerful and beautiful car to take pride in. :)
Thank you for additional replies to this post!

·
Registered
458 Posts
I have actually used the UR pulley and have first hand experienced the well documented bad points, i.e. extra vibration in the motor, and then discovering the dreaded crank creep when I did a timing belt change... I'm now and will continue to use the stock pulley, even when going to my single turbo setup later...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice. I have decided to stick with OEM. Now, what to do with the money I save...:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts