Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry for the new thread. I did alot of searchin and i came up with alot of info on helicoil, but i've found some where people say go with time inserts? which one would be better? because im having the same notorious exhuast mani problem :freak: i have every thing off the car just to remeber during my motor swap the previous owner already rethread and uses courser bolts on like 5 out of 7 of the previous screw holes the 1st on in the fornt of the motor is still a stud and its still tight and in the 7th last is also a stud but can be twisted out with bare hands and the rest are just bolts with lock washers one twist with a socket and then can wiggle out with hands so im not sure if the m10x1.25 helicoil will fit? what size drill bit do i have to drill out the head with?? and is the time insert a better alternative? or use helicoil? because this is not somthing i want to do every so offen as it is a pain to take off everything advance thanks :bigthumb:

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
It depends on how much material there is around the damaged threads. Inserts work well on areas that arent close to any other castings / and or other threading. In your case its probably best to helicoil due to the exhaust mani. bolts being close together. Id heli coil all the bad ones (in a heli coil kit u will get like 6 coils) and use studs not bolts in the future. Just make sure you drill straight, if the head is on the car you will need a 90 deg angle drill chuck.

~scott

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the bolts were on the motor i found, so the previous owner of that motor uses bolt / i went to the toyota dealer to find the studs and the studs and the blots are the same size just thread difference so im assumin he just ghetto rigged some different threads to hold it in i don't think its even been rethreaded i think they just stuffed a courser bolt in, so i think i would be fine with the helicoil kit and i cant find HELICOILS anywhere? and i've read on some threads on the forums to use timeinserts? instead of helicoils? i've found thread with a link that an owner has done the helicoil with but i can't seem to find that theard agains thanks for the reply scottie

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
I'd go to a good automovite store for a heli coil kit, or a good machine shop will know where to find one. They cost around $50, and come with a tap, coil driver, and around 6 coils. They usually can order the right size for your application. If i were you id helicoil everything on the exh. manifold due to what you said above about the previous owner being an idiot. Is your head removed, or is it still in the car?

~scott

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
still in the car but i have everything around it removed so i figure it can be done just a PITA thanks for the advice im goin helicoil huntin nows thanks lols

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
Just be careful that you drill straight with a 90 deg. chuck. Thats the only technical part. Good luck.

~scott

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
3 out of 7 helicoils inserted but after i put in the stud they seem to wiggle abit when i try to wiggle them?? but i only put them in with my fingers? mabe after i get the manifold and nut in it would be tight? i think?? is it suppose to be like that?? lol i ordered the 5543-10? m10x1.25 fine? thanks

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea i was planning on to helicoil them all but the thing is that the studs seem to be wiggly? and it doesnt feel right? so im just askin if its suppose to be like taht or im doin somthing wrong?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts