Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am incredibly torn, I've got a beautiful Twin Turbo wingless 6 speed JDM, 22,000 km on it, but its an RZ so its got the crappy stereo. The car is bone stock, absolutely bone stock.

Heres my dillema, I have a need for decent tunes when I drive, so far the radio transmitter attached to the ipod as well as the casset tape adapter trick definately suck so I may have to go in and modify the car.

Will removing the 1 DIN tape tray beneath the oem radio and installing a 1 DIN head unit decrease the value of this car.

I am also considering mounting a head unit under the driver or passenger seat and bypassing the stock radio but leaving it looking stock, I'm going by the no cut rule, no wires cut, nothing that can't be put back.

Its also going into the body shop to have its one little rust spot taken care of, its about the width of a business card and about as deep as a paperclip. Yeah I know I'm being anal on the car but the damned things my baby.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
its all really up to you, but completely stock tt's are getting more rare each year. i dont think an aftermarket cd player is going to decrease the value in it too much if any at all. and it depends on the buyer if it is worth more or less with it

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I could be gentle and drop a 2 DIN nav unit in there, use a proper audio shop if I can find one in calgary. This way I can remove it later, and put it back to stock if it sells later on.

Other option, would the 2 DIN stereo out of a GZ with 6 disc cd changer look better and help it keep its value?

or would something like this work out better http://cgi.ebay.ca/97-98-99-Toyota-Landcruser-Supra-4Runner-radio-CD-96-95_W0QQitemZ310128068659QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCar_Audio_Video?hash=item310128068659&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1215|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

·
Banned
2,624 Posts
I would throw in a nice 2 din nav unit... like the kenwood... I didn't have to cut any wires and the best thing about it was it bolted right into the mount already in the supra... I also have a J-spec supra

·
going broke fast
2,401 Posts
i alway's keep my stock radio's to turn it back to stock later.i swap out all the speaker's too,but never cut up door panel's or any other plastic.

·
Registered
963 Posts
i dont think modding a JDM supra is a big deal in terms of value. they are alot of them in JDM world, and can be brought over with realitive ease.

Its not like comparing a north American stock twin Turbo, 6 speed with 22k.

Most of the JDM supra are "low k/m", so i would say mod it. USDM FTW

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Yeah. I have to say I actually laughed out loud at the 'reduced' price question. It's a JDM, dime a dozen these days in Canada.

Besides, if your main concern is re-sale then don't do anything to it, it will likely be 'worth' more. But if it's your car, and you want it to drive an have fun then who cares about re-sale. Do what you want so you will be happy with your car.

I have a USDM 21k original miles on the ODO, I thought about selling it for the simple reason to keep it stock and not modify an actual rare Supra. But it's mine, I'm not selling it so just be happy.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Only reason I'm hesitant is its the only insanely good condition JDM i've come across, it still has valid shakken stickers on it. You are right though its not like its an LHD 22k supra, its is JDM so hell with it. I'm just going to make sure everything is tastefully done and easy to reverse if in the future I want to go back to pure oem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts