Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Republican
Joined
·
8,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cant... I know, I suck...
http://www.majesticturbo.com/20235.html

can you give me an estimated HP output from that turbo, at say...20 psi? 14 psi?

for reference, this is a 1jz with a .69 housing, and 272 cams...
 
E

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
looks like a nice map im trying to learn how to read these but from what i can tell this turbo prob max out at 500 hp and thats pushing it the sweet spot prob 350-400 hp range at about 16-20 psi hopefully i read int oit right im sure some 1 more educated on this will pitch in l8
 
E

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
just noticed the last post was my 100th post how many more b4 i become a post whore
 

·
Republican
Joined
·
8,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dont worry... you have a LONG way to go, before you reach my whore status

thanks for the info
 

·
This Is Why I'm Hot.....
Joined
·
1,984 Posts
evildoer357 said:
just noticed the last post was my 100th post how many more b4 i become a post whore
1st worthless post = post whore, LOL.
;)
Chris,
lbs per minute tells you HP, find the calc. Pressure Ratio [PR] must be calclualted as well, find the calc. I came up with a PR of 2.3 when I did the calcs, so using that as a rough guide, follow the x-axis to your target lbs/hr & see where the intersection lies in the efficiency 'islands.' As the lbs/hr increase, your 'intersection' falls further out of the most efficient 'island' & you approach the 'choking' point of the turbo.

After 3.5 beers, that's as good as it gets from me, LOL.
;)
 

·
I Didn't Do It!
Joined
·
1,030 Posts
flows 49 lbs from what i usually see, peak power is probably near 490ish HP, Not positive tho, I'm not an expert =\
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
945 Posts
100% efficiency perhaps it will flow 49 lbs, but not real world. I typically assume 75% volumetric efficiency and leave some room on the top end of the map to grow if I underguessed. I'd rather undershoot a hair than get a turbo so oversized I that I'm not moving it.

That said, at 75% you should flow ~35lb/min at 7000rpm. This will likely net 390-430 crank (software calculator says 413, but again, nothing's exact in these).

Putting that over the map of a T04B-H3 variation, (normally I double check my own with paper math...I didn't here, so the map could be off base, but I've only ever found one with this package...) I find you never get out of surge. At a PR of 2.6, you would have to flow your peak at 7000 to even get close. This is a turbo for an engine double your size from what I see here.

Now, in the Garrett family, I see the T04B-super 50 looks like a great match, and the Holset HX30W or HX35 (the 35 is the dodge ram pickup turbo...) match nicely as well. The HX30 is a better match overall, and the 35 is a little later in coming on, but could handle 30psi if you were ever nuts enough to...

All I have for now from quick rough numbers.

Bob
 

·
Republican
Joined
·
8,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I ordered the Corky Bell book "maximum boost" and it will be here mon or tues... Ill be able to read the map fine then... thanks for the help guys
 

·
475RWHP 449TQ and climing
Joined
·
5,905 Posts
My calculations show 490 crank hp the max for this turbo. My calculations also show that 14psi may net you 290hp, and 20psi may net you 340 hp. The max efficiency seems to be [email protected] which is about 1.95 pressure ratio on the chart. Calc for pressure ratio is required boost say like (14psi) + [1 atmosphere (14.7)] divided by [1 atmosphere 14.7] = 28.7/14.7=1.952. Now the pressure ratio of 1.952 or shalll we say 1.95 plotted on the map appears to yield of 290hp. The same can be said for 20psi the formula 20psi +14.7=34.7 divided by 1 atmosphere 14.7 34.7/14.7=2.36. When you plot 2.36 on the map it shows about 340 hp. Going higher starts moveing toward the choke point and max power of 490 hp. Max efficiency on turbos range from 65-75%. The most efficient range is 65% which is about 1.7 pressure ratio mark which is about 10psi.
 

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Joined
·
7,014 Posts
no, you will get the airflow as seen on the graph... its just a question of how HOT it will be. you can get a hot 48lb/min or you can get a "cool" 37 lb/min of air.
 

·
LEADED FUEL ONLY
Joined
·
2,068 Posts

·
Republican
Joined
·
8,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
QWIKSTRIKE said:
My calculations show 490 crank hp the max for this turbo. My calculations also show that 14psi may net you 290hp, and 20psi may net you 340 hp. The max efficiency seems to be [email protected] which is about 1.95 pressure ratio on the chart. Calc for pressure ratio is required boost say like (14psi) + [1 atmosphere (14.7)] divided by [1 atmosphere 14.7] = 28.7/14.7=1.952. Now the pressure ratio of 1.952 or shalll we say 1.95 plotted on the map appears to yield of 290hp. The same can be said for 20psi the formula 20psi +14.7=34.7 divided by 1 atmosphere 14.7 34.7/14.7=2.36. When you plot 2.36 on the map it shows about 340 hp. Going higher starts moveing toward the choke point and max power of 490 hp. Max efficiency on turbos range from 65-75%. The most efficient range is 65% which is about 1.7 pressure ratio mark which is about 10psi.
Thats a little discourgaging.... I might upgrade up to a 62-1 then...

This is a much better looking map, would you say?
http://www.majesticturbo.com/20255.html
 

·
475RWHP 449TQ and climing
Joined
·
5,905 Posts
Yes it is a better map. As you see the center circle is where it is most efficient. If you plot a point ded center of that cirle it gives about 400hp at 1.7 or so pressure ratio so you see it is more of an efficient turbo. This will yield up to 600 hp. This gives less stress on engine and turbo because at high boost it won't be blowing hot air. Don't for get to get max hp on aturbo is its least effiecient point, This said it will be out of its efficiency range and be very stressfull on turbo and engine.
 

·
Republican
Joined
·
8,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the help... once I get some money... ill probibly be buying a bigger turbo...
 
Y

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Ckanderson said:
Well I ordered the Corky Bell book "maximum boost" and it will be here mon or tues... Ill be able to read the map fine then... thanks for the help guys
Damn Amazon!, those sluts have taken over a month to get me that and an Engine Management Systems book too! [End Rant]
 

·
Republican
Joined
·
8,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well
after readinq what quickstrike wrote... I decided to forgo getting cams at this point, and to upgrade my turbo. I sent it out today. t04R here we come.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top