Supra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Hawtness
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im in the market for buying a supra and i have found quite a few actully. What im looking for or from what i've found is a few supras that need some work. I found a couple with high miles and i figure if im going to do this, im doing it right. So i want to completely pull the engine (94 TT) and have someone completely hone,blue print, ect the block. After that im a little unclear about my next steps. If my engine builder agrees that the stock internals look good should i just reuse with the exception of the obvious stuff (I.e Rings, gaskets) I only plan on running a 61or67mm turbo so im not looking for super high #'s. Also would you reccomend waiting on reinstalling the engine and put a single turbo kit then or later? Im currently looking at the Horsepower freaks stage 2 kit and their intercooler. From what i see their price isnt that bad? But would i be better off trying to buy part by part of would shipping in the end be about the same prices? If i turn down the boost to a low number would i be able to get away usuing stock injectors untill i have enough money to order them too? Sorry for all the questions but i want to do this right and only one time!

·
Hawtness
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SupraDupaFlyBoy said:
do a compression test first to be sure
I understand that but wouldnt it be smart to just rebuild a engine knowing that its 10+ years old, high miles, and who knows who has driven it before me? I guess im just going for peace of mind, and the knowing that nothing is going to go wrong with my setup and it will start everday? Or am i wrong with this concept?

·
Hawtness
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nsx03 said:
do a compression test First Dont wanna rebuild it ifs Still good.
True, but what if it passes the compression test and then dies on me after i get a Turbo Kit on it for awhile. Then i have to pull everything back apart and pull it out. If im getting a good deal on the car (real cheap) im thinking it would be best just to pull it all out and do it right the first time.

I have read some of the stickies and some faqs but how hard is it really to pull everything out and pull the engine? I would have use to a lift, engine puller, all tools i need and probably 2-3 guys? Also is there places to get "new" stock rings,bolts, gaskets? Or do i have to order them aftermarket?

·
Hawtness
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok so i spent that last few hours just reading up on other rebuild stories on the internet and if i was to go with new pistons,rods,rings ect plus someone to put everything back together for me its going to cost a lot. What else are my options? I mean if i were to find a car that hasnt run in awhile i would want to somehow make sure that in a year down the road it wont fall apart on me? Or is that just a risk everyone takes and deals with it?

·
'93 Supra TT
480 Posts
if you are going to pull the motor out and replace the rings and gaskets, you are better off in the long upgrading the pistons and rods as well. the parts are expensive but its worth it down the road. later on after u put ur turbo kit on and you want more HP, you are going to want better internals that will hold the HP without any problems. you save yourself the money of pulling the engine out a second time. just my two cents

·
always watching
362 Posts
JSE SupraTT said:
if you are going to pull the motor out and replace the rings and gaskets, you are better off in the long upgrading the pistons and rods as well. the parts are expensive but its worth it down the road. later on after u put ur turbo kit on and you want more HP, you are going to want better internals that will hold the HP without any problems. you save yourself the money of pulling the engine out a second time. just my two cents
+1 if your gonna rebuild, just spend the extra and do it right.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts