Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok before the search nazi's attack i did search and besides the huge bore sleeved failure thread most info is pretty dated.

I currently have a block with 1 cylinder damaged from a dropped valve. The crank has been balanced to the carillo's and cp's and the line bore has been deemed perfect as the bearing wear indicates as well as its bored 20 over and call it sentimental value or whatever i am considering sleeving it to save the block as well as all the money to redo a "new" block. Its not a huge investment in the grand scheme of things but a good chunck of change can be saved by having a sleeve done at $150 vs close to a grand for "complete" machining. But if its not going to be safe/strong for a built motor then i can see spending the extra cash. Any useful knowledge or experience greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I read somewhere (might have been the ls1tech) that metal in (somebrand) sleeves was stronger then the metal used in iron block engines.

·
Toyota Master Tech
1,449 Posts
Ok before the search nazi's attack i did search and besides the huge bore sleeved failure thread most info is pretty dated.

I currently have a block with 1 cylinder damaged from a dropped valve. The crank has been balanced to the carillo's and cp's and the line bore has been deemed perfect as the bearing wear indicates as well as its bored 20 over and call it sentimental value or whatever i am considering sleeving it to save the block as well as all the money to redo a "new" block. Its not a huge investment in the grand scheme of things but a good chunck of change can be saved by having a sleeve done at $150 vs close to a grand for "complete" machining. But if its not going to be safe/strong for a built motor then i can see spending the extra cash. Any useful knowledge or experience greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
sure you can sleeve it and save money but this is not a place to save cash, you will sleep better in the end with a proper block. You want all the cyl's to be the same as in heat transfer etc..

·
Registered
381 Posts
sure you can sleeve it and save money but this is not a place to save cash, you will sleep better in the end with a proper block. You want all the cyl's to be the same as in heat transfer etc..
1+ keep your eye out on here any ebay.. ive seen blocks for sale for 450 that jst needed a little of machine work, nothing major and if it does cost you 1k in the end youll have the satisfaction of knowing its right and there will be no worries!!!!!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would machine it. You CAN sleeve it but the 2j bare block is good for anything you throw at it powerwise from what I know.
not considering doing this for strength but to save a known good, already machined block with 1 damaged (knicked) cylinder wall. i am aware of the 2jz and its capabilities

1 - 10 of 10 Posts