Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how worth it was it to have the higher compression pistons? i have a set of na pistons that i may or may not use in my currently running 7mgte. the car makes over 400 on the stock pistons but i need new rings badly, was running almost 20 psi on pump on this engine, but failure happened due to previous overheating issues that were now taken care of 3 years ago that finally cought up to me.

im guessing running 20 psi wouldnt be adviseable with na pistons unless race gas is used, but is it even worth the hassle to put them in and run a lower boost to get a little more torque for 1/4 runs and sacrifice hp and top end power?

20 psi gets over 400, and what psi would be required in boost on 9.1:1 pistons to get the same effect as 8.4:1 pistons

·
Proud MKIII Owner
2,408 Posts
My eyes went more and more crossed as i read this!

Stick with the lower compression pistons, you'll be able to throw more boost at it, safely!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i was leaning towards it, i ahvent really found much information confirming using n/a pistons and getting any decent gains, even for track runs.

if anyone has any other info sayin otherwise, it would be good to hear it!

·
Overlooked
4,677 Posts
Sounds like you're trying to find a way to pinch pennies. Think of this, there are 350cid motors running 14:1, 2JZs with 50psi (you tube 2000hp dyno). It's possible but you better have a damn good tune or you're going to put a hole in something (and your wallet when it does).

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like you're trying to find a way to pinch pennies. Think of this, there are 350cid motors running 14:1, 2JZs with 50psi (you tube 2000hp dyno). It's possible but you better have a damn good tune or you're going to put a hole in something (and your wallet when it does).
haha pretty much, this car has always been an extreme budget build, never wanted to throw big dollars at it, and when i do itll be a complete big money build not a half big dolllar build lol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts