Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Z06 convert
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I don't care about magazine numbers. Whether or not a car can pull .98G's on the skid pad has no bearing on street driving. To me, on the street, and even on the track with my limited abilities, it is all about feel. I suppose this is an extension of my "driver's car" thread.

I am let down by the C6 Z51 in its stock form. My C5 Z06 was much more fun to drive on country back roads. I felt more connected to the road and cornering was just magic.

There are a few issues I have with the C6. I am wondering what could be fixed with suspension upgrades and what couldn't. When I say suspension upgrades, I mean something like Bilstein Sport or Koni FSD shocks, poly bushings and stiffer sway bars.

1. Steering feedback. There is very little feedback on this car.

2. Steering response. I feel it's pretty slow/soft. Slow in that it takes a while for the car to respond to steering input, soft in that steering input tends to be "muted" by the suspension. Mushy is another good word to describe the steering feel.

3. Body roll. I feel like it could corner a bit flatter. This is less important.

I would like to hear some experiences with modified suspension and how it affected those 3 issues. Alignment is another option, I just don't want to have to replace my tires constantly.

Really, there are three options I see for myself right now: 1. modifying the C6's suspension, 2. getting another C5 Z06, 3. going for a whole other car altogether.

PS: I switched from the stock runflat Supercars to KDW2's.

·
Champagne Papi
5,697 Posts
Wow, Steve was telling me about his experiences between the C6 and his C5Z. Same response.. but he described the C5Z as being more "raw". I personally love the C5Z, it is my favorite corvette of all time.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I don't know shit about Vette suspension layout so be gentle if i'm off. Doesn't anyone make aftermarket steering racks for your car? Something with a quicker ratio and tighter internals would help tremendously. Bushings would make a nice difference, steering rack, sway bar mounts and links, strut mounts, just pretty much all the rubber bits in the suspension and steering or usually pretty soft in OEM form. Tires are the most important thing and I have driven 10/10th's on a lot of tires and the Falken Azenis are the best non r-compound tire out, but you might not be able to get them in your size.

Bigger sway bars and a nice strut/spring combo would help with the body roll.

·
Registered
268 Posts
That's odd. Do you know the steering rack ratios of your C6 vs C5 Z06? Maybe research if they are interchangable. I'm sure there is a C5 Z06 in a junkyard somewhere. It might get costly though as most racks go for $800 to $2,000.

·
Passion Driven
1,689 Posts
Is it fair to compare a C6 to a C5Z though? You'd think it'd be C5Z vs. C6Z, since the Z model is all about the added performance parts/value....

Is your C6 a Z? Maybe I missed that...

But I'm glad to read your last two threads MKIV808, sometimes I feel alone in the "feel" arguement of driving faster cars. I'm not ashamed that I'd much rather drive a slower car that felt very, very good than a big powerful car that couldn't turn or let you know what's going on.

·
Z06 convert
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is it fair to compare a C6 to a C5Z though? You'd think it'd be C5Z vs. C6Z, since the Z model is all about the added performance parts/value....

Is your C6 a Z? Maybe I missed that...

But I'm glad to read your last two threads MKIV808, sometimes I feel alone in the "feel" arguement of driving faster cars. I'm not ashamed that I'd much rather drive a slower car that felt very, very good than a big powerful car that couldn't turn or let you know what's going on.
Agreed 100%.

I honestly think "feel" comes into play more for people who have owned sports cars longer. It's been almost 8 years for me now.... my first car was a Supra TT. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts