Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or plan too...

What are you using / going to use, to measure your revs? The stock tach is only good to 8k, and I've heard it's inaccurate at those levels anyway. Are guys using aftermarket tachs, rev/speed meters, what?

I'm planing eventually with cams and a prepped head to rev to ~8400, just looking for some suggestions of what some of you guys are using?

·
GT40 1.5JZ
1,210 Posts
How do I get past 7250 with a stock ecu?

-joseph

Oh yeah, on for the topic, I would think that you would have to use an aftermarket gauge, or an e-manage to record your rpms. Also, your safc could take your readings for you.

·
Banned
3,588 Posts
id love to replace my tach with the new apexi tach...i know a mkiv owner did it..looks sweet

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
JonnyRedline said:
id love to replace my tach with the new apexi tach...i know a mkiv owner did it..looks sweet
:D I'd be one of them. It's not hard on the MKIV. I'm not sure how hard it would be on the MKIII but if there are other gauges right with the tach or if it's not circular I'd think it would be harder :(

·
Registered
297 Posts
as regard head work.. you need ideally 264's and stronger valve springs..

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Was planning a staggered 264/272 setup, and I had thought about the springs, how worth it is it to P&P the 1J's head.

·
DTM/JDM Enthusiast
699 Posts
I use my AFC II to read my rpm. Pretty neat because I can have it warn me a few hundred rpm before I hit where I want to bring it to. The highest i've seen it go is 7,9xx so far..

·
Banned
3,588 Posts
fstlane88 said:
how worth it is it to P&P the 1J's head.

what did u just say? :lol:

·
Banned
3,588 Posts
lol...no...did u mean how much is it or how hard is it? lol

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh ok, I gotcha, I meant how much of a gain am I going to see with a ported head? Enough so that it'll be worth my effort of pulling the head and paying to get it ported??

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,222 Posts
I have a 1G Gte tach that I'm going to try to get working.

it shows 9 K for rev limit.

·
Banned
3,588 Posts
how hard are those to find and what do they look like?

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
perf0rmance said:
So...can someone answer that?

-joseph
I have pretty much assumed you aren't able to, and was just going to try my luck getting an upgraded ECU. But, I would be VERY interested to know if there is a way to, and howabouts to do it.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Here is my concern on the subject.

I believe the stock JZA70 1JZGTE has a rev limit built into the ecu at around 7250, like Performance said. We all know that the 1JZ will rev to "heaven" if there is some work done to help protect it on its way there.

So, personally, i'm not really worried about a rev limiter b/c i can put mine where i want it. ;)

However i would like to know a "safe" Redline in which to set it for now. I was thinking about 7500 and see where that turbo goes. After that i'm going to put her on the dyno and we'll see where the power tops out.

...Thoughts, Concerns, ideas??

Oh yeah, and we All want pics of the 1G tach. :D

Bryan

1 - 20 of 36 Posts