Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I went to the local turbo shop and he wrote me down some proces. He said for about $200 more I could get a T04E hybrid which would make more power and be more efficient. I was curious on what kind of numbers I could make with lexus/550's AFC, ect supporting mods. Also what is the spool rpm on these. What do they sell for? Anyone have setup like this. Here is what he wrote down
T04E w/ ct-26 T-HSG.
Stage 3
$752.00
From what I understand that is the T04E compressor housing with a 60 trim wheel and the factory style exhaust housing that will bolt to the manifold with no clearance problems. He said I will have to custom fab the water and oil lines but he has some of the stuff there that he could help me out. So please tell me what he is talking about and if it is a good deal. THanks

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
This is basically the same turbo that Suprasport sells. They have the lines and kits made up for them. On some of the bigger housings you made need a spacer so the compressor housing doesn't hit the exhaust manifold. Eric V. put down between 430 to 450 rwhp with a turbo like this.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks

Thanks for the info... is that all I can get out of you guys? I was just surious some of the characteristics.. the man said it would bolt right up. Oh and it does come with a polished housing. Anyhow I rode in my buddy's s13 240 tonight. He is putting down 315 rwhp and weighs about 2500-2600 so what do I need to compete with that? Would about 3300 and 420 rwhp do it? Dang those cars are light it almost makes me want to get one but then I think about how rare and diffrent our cars are. Thanks for the info guys! later

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
There have been some issues with bearings and finicky wastegates with these hybrid units. If you search you'll find the posts (there probably is still a sticky in technical about the "wategate issue resolved"

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
They do bolt right up and I'm sure you can get the housing polished. The reason I said something about the spacer is it is a possibility on the bigger compressor housing to hit. Suprasport has some feedback on this turbo on their website about it. John Lundsfords site also has a picture and small write up on the spacer. No doubt that the Supra is a heavy car especially when compared to the S13(240SX). I've had to do alot to get mine down to 3410 without me in it.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
We fix the Turbonetics-sourced turbine housing so the WG issues is not an issue any longer. If you don't fix it, you'll be going back in there.

We also use the HiFi turbine/compressor so it fits the manifold.

What did this guy say about your actuator/bracket setup? $100-$130.

Your fitting/hose kit? $50-$150 pending materials.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
he said it is the stock actuator setup and the colant lines are cheap and the oil line fittings he has he will give me, I just need to buy a line and an npt fitting or two. THanks

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
If it's the stock actuator for a T3 be careful as some of them weren't stout enough to hold the wastegate shut at higher boost levels. I've run into this on several hybrids I've built for Nissan's. They wouldn't hold past fifteen psi without some heavy tweaking on the smaller canister.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am not sure what it is but if you read the original post you we see all of the info that I have. He said the only thing I will have to custom make is the oil and coolant lines. Does this sound like a better setup than the 60-1 ct-26 upgrade? Thanks

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Depends on what your looking to do with it. Ct upgrades are direct bolt in's and can get you 390 to 400 to the ground at high boost levels. Garrett based turbo's offer greater flexibilty as far as being able to upgrade compressor's for different power levels. I personally think you can put more power down with turbo's like the SS turbo, but you have guy's like MKIIISupraguy about to break into the high 11's in the 1/4 mile with a ct upgrade. It's all in what you want.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Cool. He made my 60-1 upgrade. It looks nice. Pity I haven't gotten a chance to run the car with it yet to see how good it is :( Any reason for going with the T04E rather than the T04B?

·
ma70-7m=1JZ
2,517 Posts
The TO4E is more efficiant compressor than the TO4B 60-1. It doesnt flow quite as much, but it is enough for most stockish Supras, unless you want to run more than 20psi... I would say go for it, it sounds like a good turbo. I am having a full T04E built as we speak, it should be done early next week.

·
25psi = 14" brakes :)
2,306 Posts
I have a SS Stage V with the BB option.
Spools fully at 4k. (Much higher than I'd expected.)
I've adjusted the wastegate so it was about 3/4 of an inch short, and I had to pull the rod tight to hold the W/G door closed. (In a very limited attempt to get more boost out of this trubo.) It will boost to 25psi. BUT I don't reccomend it without fuel mods.
At 18psi, puts down just under 420rwhp on pump gas. Tourqe is down from the CT upgrade. (The CT really kicks ass on the street IMHO, but I love the upper end power of the T3/T4 bolt on.)
My plans this winter are to devide the exhuast side in an attempt to get better spool at lower RPM. (Don't get me wrong, it goes from 18hg of vac to about 4psi right off the bat, but really does not start to pull hard till 4k.)
I think the stage 3 might be a better street turbo. (As Jeff notes in his site.)
Other options I've been looking at are selling my CT based housing, and manifold, and putting a small AR exhaust side, and T4 based manifold on the car. The external WG's do a better job of control when your pushing 25psi at times, and I belive the smaller AR housing will increase tourqe, and move the power peak down the RPM chart into more useful territory. (I really want power from 2500 to 6200rpm.) The stage V is more like 4k to redline it seems.

·
ma70-7m=1JZ
2,517 Posts
I agree with adjuster, I wanted quick spool up too, so I went with a 60 trim, .60 a/r cold side and a O trim .63 hot side. I am going with a Tial wastegate, and probably build my own manifold. The garret based turbo is a more reliable turbo, than an upgraded ct unit.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
[email protected] is a good guy. I had talked to him several times about a turbo. He said that he could put a hybrid t3/t4 together to flow 650 at the crank. I haven't seen any of them supporting this much but who know's. I was going to buy a T66 from him but Sound Performance offered a better design turbo with new technology for several hundred less than he wanted.

·
Its Me...Its Me
631 Posts
I got my T04E for $650 and it is well worth it and can produce and support a good amount of HP, boost and quick spool. With AFM and 550s you should be runnin real nice...I'm gettin my AFM and 680s or 660s instead of 550s (price & avail) and I'm told my baby will be quick fast in a hurry!

K

·
0 Posts
For a little bit more you could just get a really nice direct bolt on turbo kit from Sound Performance. It is the sp61 mkiii turbo and has been proven to make around 500 rwhp.

Quote taken from here by Ven
-Latest production GT-40 Compressor/GT35 Turbine. Sorry I got no specs.

-Same direct bolt on hot side that's cast for T'netics.

- SP has the hotside remachined for the turbine, it's bigger than the other available stage 5. Machince work done for fitting the internals too. Hot side is ported.

- The internal wastegate is completely redone. I believe he mentioned foresure the size and possibly shape are changed. It should eliminate creep and spike as in the other units.

- The SP should spool faster than the other known Stage 5 due to the much more modern wheels, changes in the hot side, and bearing design.

- Power should be around 500rwhp with tuning and proper supporting mods. He hinted that 550 may be doable. (race gas, lots of boost)

-$999usd for the turbo, including the fitted actuator.

-$130-$140 for the lines/fittings.

-Available immediately.
**edit this site is lame and wont let me post where I got the quote from... it came from a post in the i-$upra forums in the sound performance one**

1 - 20 of 21 Posts