Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are the tokico, non-tems struts really that bad? im just considering htem because they are so cheap and im poor.

Y

·
0 Posts
I've heard nothing but bad things when I do a good search about suspension, but then I see in everyone's sigs that they have them with eibachs. Not sure if they have the tems adjustable style. I'm sure they are better than stock though. people just say the blow easy.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
the earloier models do blow easier,

how ever i have not heard any blow outs on the newer models.

by newer models i mean later production years.

im running Tem adj. Tokikos for 2 years with no problems

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
i'd have to say the tok blues are probably better than the illum 2s. i've nuked 2 sets of the illum 2s, so i'm not impressed. i put the blues on my wife's talon, great ride, work well....been about 3 yrs too.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
I have heard about numerous product failures on the Ill's but not a sinlge one on the blues. (9 years)

·
yeah thats me!
2,570 Posts
I have the eibach /ill 2 setup. Havent driven the car yet....installed about a month ago. ALREADY blew a strut! the rear strut broke when we lowered the car, installed correctly and still blew!!! the piston started spinning in the cylinder...so i have to buy a replacement for a 0 mile shock! so i guess im screwed.

we'll see what happens when i satrt to drive w/ them on at the end of this month

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
I've had Ill 2's and Eibach's on my car for going on about 2 years now and haven't had any problems to speak of. I have the fronts set on full firm and the rears are on the softest setting possible. No issues to speak of whatsoever.

·
Blackzilla
1,579 Posts
87SilverSupraTurbo said:
How can you tell if they are blown by not taking em off the car. What do I looke for.
get out of your car and push down on your front bumper hard and same with the rear. If it takes a while for your car to stop bouncing your shit is probably bad

·
helps you jump higher
945 Posts
I have been using them for a while now with no probs, I am actually running the same thing Trent is, and they have been nothing but good for me.

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
I ran the Tokico HP's (blue, non-adjustable) for 6 years and those struts are still working perfect to this day on someone else's Supra. Two friends of mine has been running the Tokico Illumina II's (white, TEMS) for 3-4 years now with no problems, the struts still work on their cars. All of us use Tokico or ST springs.

·
Registered
311 Posts
You ahve to be careful with your spring rate selections and also teh spring height, alot of shocks were not designed to be pushed to very low setting like the some springs would lower your car for close to 2'', I used Eibach ProKit with Tokico blue, has no problems.
I realized no matter what shocks you use if you go too low, any shock's life cycle will be shortened.

S

·
0 Posts
It's a luck-of-the-draw, you may get bad units or you may get ones that last a long time.

First complete set of Illumina 2's lasted less than a year, before being completely blown. You can tell because your car will handle like complete crap. Once you take them off, you'll feel the rod just flopping around, without dampening.

My second complete set has been holding up as good as new for couple of years now. I think they revised them, because the dampening rates are nothing like the first set I had.

Keep your receipts, mail in the "lifetime warranty cards" and be prepared to use them, if you need to.

3,796 Posts
Ive had Ill II's for about a year w/ stock springs and no problems yet {knock on wood}.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Tokico Ill2's, first set lasted 15K before one rear blew out. Rears now have another 15K, but the fronts are rocking like a boat.

Even with the lifetime warranty, who wants to pull shocks that frequently? My labor is worth more than the price of the poorly built shock. No more Tokico's for me.

·
(GRAVEDIGGER) 3.3L Supra
614 Posts
PM me with this answer please! i dont have tems on my car, but want the tokico adjustables, will they work for me without the tems??

1 - 20 of 23 Posts