Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright well my car desperately needs new struts, so I don't want to spend more then $250 and i found tokico HP blue's on ebay brand new for under $200. but at the same time I have heard bad things about them. What would you do in my situation?

(I have non-TEMS)

M

·
0 Posts
steer clear. fruit flys have longer life expectancy.

for a little more, you can score some koni yellows. IMO, the best bang for the buck shocks by far. i love mine. coupled with eibachs and ST sways, car handles 100% better than stock.

·
the clever guy
782 Posts
They are good shocks but throw a washer or two on them before you put the nylon locking nuts on (top of shock towers). Do that and you're golden.

·
Livin the Supra Lifestyle
2,023 Posts
Hands down they are good shocks! dont listen to the hearsay. they are well worth the money.

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
Don't listen to anyone who hasn't run those struts. My Tokico HP's have 6 years 40-50k miles on them and they still work perfectly. It's the Illumina II's that have the problems, don't get them confused totally different strut.

M

·
0 Posts
bishop, your right. they arent the same. but ive heard stories. just wanted to let him know that there are other options.

·
yeah thats me!
2,570 Posts
My story, Bought 4 Tokico Ill II's . Wasnt the struts fault, but it broke.. Here's how it goes. Most people on here know tht Im still bringing this MKiii from the grave... from the ground up/ well I put on all four struts, and on the last one it decided to explode whe I set the weight of the car down on it.... spewing hydraulic fluid everywhere... (this was w/ 0 miles on it) but it wasnt the struts fault it was the Strut mount tht was fuct... when I put the second one in... which cost me an extra 100$$, i was having similar probs as before, but this time I didnt tighten the main bolt down... took the strut out, and found tht the strut mount had been rounded out....most likely by the previous owner not tightening up the strut... well my friend welded a piece in and we file it back to flush and WAAA LAA (sp) I just hope it doesnt prove the weakness of the tokico illumina....I mean the stru had 0 miles on it....

Ill let u guys know whats up when i start to drive ,hopefully in the next couple of weeks

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
Well I got flamed for posting bad things about an MSD coil on a thread about MSD control boxes. So now it's my right to tell you guys that Illumina II's and HP's are completely different :)

S

·
0 Posts
I have Tokico Blues. Put them on a month before I blew the headgasket and they sat for six months. After the car was back on the road I drove it another five months and blew another head gasket. I like the way they ride, and handle, but I haven't gotten to experience them very much. Stupid car. Have Tokico Illumina IIs on the girlfriends car and they seem alright, but we've only had that car two months, so that is also up in the air.

S

·
0 Posts
I have had nothing but problems with Tokico Illumina II's in my 1991 Supra. Steer clear.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts