Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
EchoDeDupra
4,122 Posts
i was reading about toluene today... do you have to put the motor oil in?

also, where did u find it?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
you have to use a lubricant with the toluene is why he used the 2 stroke oil. most commonly ive heard of people using marvel mystery oil, but i suppose the 2 stroke works just as well.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
How did you get toluene for 6.50 a gallon at SW. I can only find it for just under 10 dollars a gallon at SW.

·
Registered
372 Posts
oldracr said:
After 5 long years of throwing money at my persistent
knock at 16+ psi (seems like I am the only guy on the
planet with this problem), it seems that a ~30%
toulene mix is the hot ticket.
Hey just curious what are your compression numbers? What kind of miles do you have on your car? I ask because high compression/carbon buildup can often cause premature knock. You might want to check that out.

·
Lets go Nets
2,956 Posts
Im glad to see you got your problem solved man. thats real weird that you get knock at 16 psi?? weirdness.

-Brett

·
Kancho Battle Garage
850 Posts
Here is a link to a person that did research on it if you need more info. http://www.elektro.com/~audi/audi/toluene.html

This chart is fairly handy.

Toulene
R+M/2...114
Cost...$2.50/gal
Mixtures with 92 Octane Premium
10%...94.2 Octane
20%...96.4 Octane
30%...98.6 Octane
Notes: Common ingredient in Octane Boosters in a can. 12-16 ounces will only raise octane 2-3 *points*, I.e. from 92 to 92.3. Often costs $3-5 for 12-16 ounces, when it can be purchased for less than $3/gal at chemical supply houses or paint stores.

·
Registered
372 Posts
oldracr said:
Compression numbers are all in range. Car has 68K on it. Probably has a head anamoly in the casting OR a weak injector. Just didnt want to spend the time tearing it apart if I didnt have to.
Actually I was curious to see if the compression was too high. High compression in any cylinder (say above 180) can cause the knocking/pinging that you speak of. I noticed it in one of my Supras once the car was warm from several high speed pulls. If I ran 94 it didn't happen, if I ran 91 it did. Checked compression and the numbers were high 170s, low 180s. May not apply to your car with 68k (I suspect your numbers are closer to mid/high 160s, maybe low 170s) but I thought I'd ask anyway.

S

·
0 Posts
I would highly recommend to anyone who mixes this stuff to go to home depot and get a safety respirator. They have resiprators specifically designed to filter harmful fumes. They work great. Also, make sure and wear gloves.

For me it's simple. I fill two 5 gallon gas containers with 3.5 gallons of 93 pump. Open the 55gallon drum of toluene after putting the resipator and gloves on in a well ventilated area. Add 1.5oz of Klotz fuel lube to either fuel container (.5oz/gallon toluene) using a 1.5 oz glass turkey baster (wal-mart). Pump 1.5 gallons toluene into each container. Re-seal drum and pour the gas in the car.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
This might be a dumn question, but. Can you just pour the toluene straight into your gastank? Will it mix with the pump gas, or do you have to premix it with the pump gas before you put it into the cars gastank.

S

·
0 Posts
AustinAltezza said:
CAREFUL WHEN DEALING WITH TOLUENE ITS EXTREMELY HARMFUL TO YOUR HEALTH!!!!!!!
Good lord...no it isn't that bad. The MSDS says it's non-carcinogenic.

And you can mix it straight in, but if you spill full strength toluene on your car's paint it's going to leave a mark :)

·
2/3 HP to the Paws
1,519 Posts
oldracr said:
its the "2.50 a gallon" I cant seem to follow...
Buy in quantity. A 55 gallon drum of toluene is a whole hell of a lot cheaper than the 5 gallon pails.

since mixing this stuff is a pain in the butt and it gives me a serious headache...
Wear a respirator and a set of chemical gloves.

Toluene isn't anywhere near as dangerous as some claim, unless you bathe in the shit for a year, but like any solvent or fuel, you generally don't want to be breathing the fumes.

·
Registered
42 Posts
stoker6 said:
Good lord...no it isn't that bad. The MSDS says it's non-carcinogenic.

And you can mix it straight in, but if you spill full strength toluene on your car's paint it's going to leave a mark :)
its toxic enough to get you a 3rd eye. SCC said so too

1 - 17 of 17 Posts