Supra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Help!!!Too low of voltage burning out OEM pumps?

Ok guys....I need some advice.
The main question I have is can having too little voltage damage the pumps similar to having too much.
I have dual stock pumps in my tank with my t04r single. I have had no problems with them up until now. Being winter and cold I dont drive the car much and the last couple of times I have had to jump it. (I know I should have replaced the battery) my fuel pumps started to wine the other day so I took it in and replaced the one that seemed to wine the most out of the tank. It resolved the problem and I drove home. The next day within 3 miles it started wining again.:mad: I took it back in and now I am being told that the battery is shot so the alternator is doing all the work, and the pumps were not getting enough power and burnt up. (I have no reason to doubt the guy, just making sure) I know they can burn up from too much voltage, is it also possible with too little.?? I just want to make sure before I buy a battery only and fry two more pumps if that isn't the problem. thanks for any advice you guys have for me.:D
I also have an amp and sub pulling power if that makes a difference.

G

·
They're just DC motors that require enough voltage to supply enough current for the starting torque. In other words, they should be able to run on any voltage that would start them pumping.

The only way I could see it damaging the pumps is if you supply current under what it takes to get it to start pumping. You would be building up heat on one internal section of the pump, and the fuel would not be circulating through the pump cooling it. But I can't see that happening.

Is the pump humming or wining? Is it pumping fuel? Only one pump is going bad? Hmmm...

A new battery may solve the problem. The bad one could be loading down the alternator.

·
Inline for the win
4,763 Posts
Leave a trickle charger on the car during the winter to save the battery. I didn't last year and smoked a new Optima red top from my capacitors. Luckily, the battery was under warranty.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts