Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Boost is my drug!
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if your head had too much materials removed (IE: 4 times) and is on the low side, by using the 1.5mm head gasket compression is good.

would it affect the VALVE or IGNITION TIMING because the cam gears notch marks are about half a tooth to a tooth off in either direction.

I did throughout search on adjustable cam gears and timing sections on this supraforums and came across this quote

"Gen rule of thumb after machining: Less clearance, advance the gears"

my cam gear notch has been pushed to one tooth advanced (both gears right->clockwise) while the crank is set at 0* TDC and the belt is set in tightly and good..

is this ok? any suggestion or ideas?

·
Registered
375 Posts
while setting base timing at 0 degress some cars will turn over and putter maybe but they wont all start, Make sure you dont have the timing 180 (timed on exhasut stroke) and make sure your cam and crank sensors are still good. Other wise it souldnt matter how much you machine the head it shouldnt effect the timing,

·
Boost is my drug!
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my cps is good and stabbed in correct

you did not answer my question.
I havent started the car yet. i only asked abt the notch marks being a tooth advanced.

·
Super Moderator
10,147 Posts
nose-gobblin said:
while setting base timing at 0 degress some cars will turn over and putter maybe but they wont all start, Make sure you dont have the timing 180 (timed on exhasut stroke) and make sure your cam and crank sensors are still good. Other wise it souldnt matter how much you machine the head it shouldnt effect the timing,
In the case of ignition timing for the 7M, yes. But he's talking about cam timing.

In the case of valve/cam timing NO!
Adjustable cam gears will need to be installed to advance out the difference in cam timing from the reducion in deck height. Same applies for using thicker MHG's on unmilled blocks & heads, in that you need to retard out the difference.

You could probably run the motor as it is but I doubt it would run well at all. I'd also avoid getting too crazy on that engine until you're sure the timing is closer to spec, as if its too far off you could burn a valve.

3,796 Posts
Actually the stock gears have provisions for just this sort of thing. Thats why theres 3 dowel holes on each gear. I do not know where you need to put them though. Sorry...hope that helps.

·
Super Moderator
10,147 Posts
Silver88Turbo said:
Actually the stock gears have provisions for just this sort of thing. Thats why theres 3 dowel holes on each gear. I do not know where you need to put them though. Sorry...hope that helps.
WTF are you smoking? those 3 dowel holes are like ~70* off from each other!

·
Boost is my drug!
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so again. is a tooth off in the clockwise direction ok to run as it is. as long as it will run..

·
Registered
454 Posts
Wreckless said:
WTF are you smoking? those 3 dowel holes are like ~70* off from each other!

Yes but there are also 3 holes in the cam. Each pulley and cam hole will change cam timing 3-4 crankshaft degrees.

·
This Is Why I'm Hot.....
1,984 Posts
DigitalDUST said:
so again. is a tooth off in the clockwise direction ok to run as it is. as long as it will run..
It'll likely run fine. I had the same concern with my 3mm MHG, but after inquiring with my local crew, it turns out that many stock cam gear marks do not line up exactly when the crank is @ TDC, so I wouldn't worry too much. FWIW, my engine runs fine w/o cam gears, although I do know there is power & response to had with adjustables.

Take care.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts