Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a rmm dp and a tanabe exhaust on my 94 auto TT and I think it is running really rich. I installed a safc II but I haven't got it tuned yet.

I can smell the gas when driving, especially at idle. Sometimes it doesn't "fire up" when i start the car but kind of bogs. Is this because of too much fuel? Could this damage my engine? Do I need new spark plugs? Should I rush to get it tuned or is this normal? Will I need to replace anything?

I have been driving it like this for a month. Max psi 13 (boost controller problems)

Thanks

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have enough money right now for a wideband. When I get it tuned they will use one in the exhaust pipe. My question is am i damaging anything and do i need to rush to get it tuned?

·
Registered
230 Posts
I've read that its ok running rich...lean is want you don't want. Get a wideband though, that way you can tune it yourself

·
Registered
13,584 Posts
It's normal for a BPU Supra to run quite rich. If you're in the typical range of how rich they get, it's not going to cause damage ....unlike super pig rich where the gas is washing the cylinder walls/piston rings of oil but that is not typical at all. Running rich you will foul plugs faster and waste gas and smell bad and dirty up the car around your exhaust pipe but otherwise not damaging anything. I ran at BPU for over 6 years with no fuel tuning at all made well over 400whp and never had a problem.

·
Supra Owner Since 1996
2,723 Posts
What is your fuel millage like? If it's closer to 10mpg then your O2 sensor is dust, but will usually eventually throw a code. If your still up towards 15+ then your fine.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
He's got problems if he smells raw fuel both at idle and under load. It is not normal for a BPU to run THAT rich! If he has trouble firing-off, presumably because of rich A/F, this is a problem and not a characteristic of a "BPU Supra".
I have set-up over 20 Supras and none have left my hands reaking of fuel let alone running below stoich @ idle or 11.0 under full load. To the poster, did this happen before the installation of the fuel-fooler?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Smelling gas at idle can't be to good-but its realllybetter than lean and frying a piston. I have a little methanol kit and I only smell fumes after ripping on my car. VPC car though-

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
did you reset the ecu after adding the DP?
I would.
Don't you just disconnect the black part of the battery? I actually did this yesterday and I don't think it is running as rich to tell you the truth. Maybe it's in my head. I'm going to get it tuned tomorrow by Mike at Factor X so it should be all good. Thanks for the replies.

·
Very Senior Member
10,066 Posts
Don't you just disconnect the black part of the battery? I actually did this yesterday and I don't think it is running as rich to tell you the truth. Maybe it's in my head. I'm going to get it tuned tomorrow by Mike at Factor X so it should be all good. Thanks for the replies.
you can do it that way, but that may also reset any settings stored elsewhere.
try this:

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/ecu_reset/ecu_reset.jpg

Actually, pull that one and the one above it, too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts