Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I took like a HUGE hiatus and disappeared to the Land of the Rising Sun aka Japan. For some who have met me or know me they'll know that I'm half Japanese half vietnamese or at least a portion Japanese.

I just wanted to make a small post to say hi, and also just to marvel about how amazing/different this country is compared to any other country. I could go all day and perhaps write a book about what Japan is like to the average US lifestyle. I just wanted to state a few things though, everything I love about my Supra is actually almost reality here in Japan. Examples: Well everything in japan has purpose, there is almost nothing that is purposeless. Efficiency is taken to the highest order, and in some ways this is a nice thing and in some ways this is a bad thing.

Specifically, using a restroom walking around, using almost anything is so directed and contrived (Like an Apple Device) that it's done in a efficient manner and in a specific manner. Trash Cans are almost non-existent here and paper is as well, reduction on trash. Take out Dinners or Doggy bags/Leftovers? They don't exist here no such thing!!! It's hard to find napkins, tissues or even a trash can, even in a damn bathroom as it's all propulsion both air and water. Space is utilized efficiently and nearly everyone uses Public Transportation. I've been here for nearly a month up and down the country of Japan and sadly I've never seen a Supra :( I've seen one of every type of Nissan Skyline but only 1 of each generation across 3 weeks!!! Actually 2 R-34s on the roads..

But because everyone uses public transportation the roads are mostly empty or very easy to drive/accessible, which is shocking. Imagine driving through San Francisco at 3PM and being able to drive around the highways and express routes with no traffic at normal cruising speeds. That's Japan or at least Tokyo...

Anyways I'll be coming home with an R-34, to go along with my Supra Collection. The R-34 really wasn't my idea entirely and more just a dream car for my brother. I'll have to post or talk later about the R-34 and that whole experience but I just can't get over what life is like out here. Everyone is dedicated towards the group/family and everyone is incredibly selfless. This is a wonderful for a tourist such as myself but an awful situation for the common employee/worker. Incredibly high level of discipline and selflessness occurs almost each day and I hope the younger generations keep it up because a lot of sacrifice has been made to keep the code and ideology of the rising sun alive for all of these years.

You can follow me at Bryantsupra on instagram and check out a handfull of my adventures through Japan but I hope to see you guys around when I get back...

Take Care, and enjoy your Supras. I miss mine and I miss driving it is truly fascinating to visit the land in which this car was born in.

Signora

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Nice story Bryan. I would love to travel but sadly, I will never see Japan, London, Italy or any other country outside the US. I'm too busy putting two daughter through college and funding a MKIII that I'm trying to make one of the sickest of all times. I could probably afford a trip out of the states if I hadn't chose to be an MKIII owner years ago, but I did. I love the R34's also. They are one of my favorite cars and I sometimes think about buying one of the early 90 models, but I don't think two money pits are a good idea. I'll be checking you out on Instagram to see the pictures. Thanks again for sharing your story., Jay

·
From the land down under
3,742 Posts
Visiting Japan is definitely on my bucket list. Their culture and way of life intrigues me, and the respect that they show each other and their families is something a lot of western cultures could really learn something from.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
i know exactly how you feel.
i was there earlier this year and could not believe how different that country is compared to here and the many other countries ive been to.
i wasnt big on traveling before i got married, i was happy with just using my free time to relax or work on my car. my wife on the other hand wants nothing but to travel so i get to go along. we went to Dubai last year and i thought that was the most amazing country i would go to but after being to japan and just experiencing the culture there, i honestly dont care to travel to any other country anymore. i can go to japan again and again and never get tired of it.
i was so amazed at how friendly the people there are, even to someone who doesn't speak a lick of Japanese. how clean it was, and like you said, how efficient.
i just wish supra parts were easier to find haha.
cant wait to go back.

·
...pop the hood!
819 Posts
would love to go one day myself.

been to 7-8 other countries numerous times, but japan makes the best of my 2 favorite hobbies...cars and guitars.

also, how do you get by the 25 year rule on the r34? another car id love to own.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can get by on the show and tell rule with heavily restricted miles, but in short I haven't moved the car out of Japan yet. I'm still debating on spending the additional cash to totally chop the car up and switch it from RHD to LHD or to leave it as is. We'd do this operation in Japan but in either case I'm just holding out a little and planning on next steps. It's much easier to do this once you own the car/found the car/have the car. Me and my brother wanted to be proactive about this instead of waiting for 2024-25 to come and have the prices increase even further from what they already have done.

If anything else as I am in fact a Supra Loyalist and my brother wants to pull out I can just sell the car evenly or maybe for a profit by the time 2025 comes. So in other words I feel as if, as long as have the funds (Which I do) then it's no harm no foul to pick-up an R34 and this point in time. And it's somewhat crazy because I did also impulsively purchased a MKV LE as well last month lol... (To Daily)

·
...pop the hood!
819 Posts
show & tell rule?

would it be street legal?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Show_or_Display

But the miles you can drive are EXTREMELY LIMITED... But this is more of a just waiting and waiting game and I have more cars then I know what to do with at this point (Not To Brag) but just saying it doesn't really bother me to have cars sit because well I already have cars sitting regardless.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
darkloki, do you know if there is a good way to get parts over? when i was there i was able to purchase a few things that would fit in my bags but i'm looking online now and there are a few parts that i would like to get but shipping is killer. just wondering if there is a better way.
i've also thought about getting a shipping container and filling it up with a couple buddies but that may require much more work and a place in japan to store it and someone on that side to actually get it done.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What kind of car parts? Personally I'd try to work with a JDM engine shipping company to move parts of the larger type. (This is just want my logic tells me) Engines are sent everyday across the pond and I'd personally try to work with them to get some parts over from Japan to the Ports of LA.

I realize a lot could go wrong but I figure if they can get engines over they should be able to get the larger parts over as well. I'll try to do more research on it for you. Then again perhaps getting an entire car over/engine over is totally different from car parts here and there.

580 Posts
sell the 34 and get a rarer one and actually be able to bring it in. your run of the mill 34 will not be allowed in the country.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
What kind of car parts? Personally I'd try to work with a JDM engine shipping company to move parts of the larger type. (This is just want my logic tells me) Engines are sent everyday across the pond and I'd personally try to work with them to get some parts over from Japan to the Ports of LA.

I realize a lot could go wrong but I figure if they can get engines over they should be able to get the larger parts over as well. I'll try to do more research on it for you. Then again perhaps getting an entire car over/engine over is totally different from car parts here and there.
thanks for the reply. not looking for anything that big like engines. just interior parts and other small aftermarket stuff i find on Japanese auction sites and croober. a seat or exhaust might be the biggest thing id ship.
on my last trip i found an exhaust i likded but the piping was rusted out so we went to a store and cut out all the stuff we didnt need and the rest was just big enough to fit in a large bag. if i wernt able to do that then id have to pay about $250 to ship a $50 exhaust.

·
Blue Thunder
3,418 Posts
Just came across this post. EVERYTHING you say is true !!! I was in Tokyo for a few weeks during this past Halloween.
I only saw 2 Supras while I was there. A MKIV in Yokota, and a MKIII in Shibuya, followed by numerous GTRs !!!

Great place, no trash or trash cans, and highly purposeful ! That Gundam in Obadai was SWEET ! Planning to go back again in July for the Olympics !

And I could have spent ALL day inside of UPGarage !!!

B

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Just came across this post. EVERYTHING you say is true !!! I was in Tokyo for a few weeks during this past Halloween.
I only saw 2 Supras while I was there. A MKIV in Yokota, and a MKIII in Shibuya, followed by numerous GTRs !!!

Great place, no trash or trash cans, and highly purposeful ! That Gundam in Obadai was SWEET ! Planning to go back again in July for the Olympics !

And I could have spent ALL day inside of UPGarage !!!

B
we went to about 10 upgarages haha, i could spend my whole trip doing that.
i was also surprised to only see 2 mkivs and 2-3 mkiiis but saw every type of muscle car you could imagine and a veilside rx7 lol.
impossible to find supra parts too but if you have an RB or S-chasis the upgarage has parts for days.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts