Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked this question in a thread about these hoods but only received one or two responses and am hoping to get more....

I'm looking into this style of hood, and debating between the Seibon model or the original imported model. They obviously look identical, but there's a price difference of about $1000 so the Seibon (the cheaper) looks to be the choice.

What I want to know is if anyone who has the Seibon or has seen it/had it can tell me if the quality is as good or nearly as good as the more expensive original? I've heard there are fitment issues from some people, is that true?

Basically I'm trying to decide if it is worth it to just drop the extra $1000 and get the original, or if it would be a huge waste of $1000.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I have teh Seibon, I have no real complaints, the fit is very good, but it did take some adjusting the first time I installed it, but I think that is true with all after market hoods.

I highly recommend you keep your stock hood in the garage.. you will regret selling it....

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I planned on holding onto it (didn't really think there was a big market for the OEM hoods anyways...). Any suggestions on storage?

Anyone else have an experience with the Seibon hood?

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have the authentic TS hood and i had to adjust it as well. Thats just how it is. I do have to say however that the workmanship on the hood is amazing.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I have the Seibon TS hood as well. Fit on mine was perfect. Gaps bang on all around. All I had to do was grind and raise the hood latch on the pass side to get it to lock properly. It was a bit of a pain to do but got it to work.

Danny.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I've been looking into the Seibon ts hood as well. I really like the aggressive appearance, but have concerns about fitment with turbo/fan shroud/rain. I've read that these do not come with rain guards. My car sits outside, so would obviously be concerned over water flooding into the engine bay when it sits. I've also read that a big turbo touches the hood, not that I have that problem right now with my small single. The same thread also indicated that some people have to cut the fan shroud. Is this all true?

I figured if I end up getting the hood, I would definitely look into retro fitting some sort of rain guard myself since it doesn't come with one. Does anyone have info on this?

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I need a black oem hood if your car is black, maybe you wanna sell it.
I assume you're talking to me? I have a black one, yes, but I might end up keeping mine if I order one of these hoods and it doesn't work out. I read that whomever gets one should keep the stock one just in case.

·
Banned
176 Posts
Even if you take off your stock hood, and and put it back on, it needs to be adjusted to fit perfect.

Ive got access to a genuine TS Hood for a good price that i realllly want, but having recently lost my job cant get it :(

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
So where is this genuine top secret hood? LOL If it's in the states, I'll pick it up in your stead and let you know how it is ;)

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I have the original TS hood as well. Pretty light and stiff. Zero crash protection of course (no sort of bracing underneath). Really moves out a lot of hot air. But not a perfect fit. After all the adjusting, one side is still slightly higher.

Not sure of the Seibon one is dry carbon as well?

Eitherway, I think the Seibon stuff is good enough in terms of functionality. I like the design (straight out of the JGTC / Super GT Supras) and I'm glad the car came with the TS hood but I'd never pay for that price (U$2200 to U$2600 right?) for a hood.

I plan to have a copy made and butcher it up with more NACA ducts like the last ones used by the JGTC / SUper GT teams in 2005-2006.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Yeah, the price is a bit steep for a hood. The look is what sells it, though. I'm probably going to stick to looking for a Seibon, unless I come across a deal I can't refuse with a genuine TS.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts