Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone considering purchasing a car from TopRank motorsports in Cypress, CA:

I purchased a JDM 1993 Nissan Cima in May of 2019 from TopRank Imports.

After purchase and before I took delivery of the car, Brian - the sales manager - said he was in Minnesota visiting and came by my house to talk about Japanese cars that they import, as well as other cars I was interested in purchasing from them. Among topics we spoke of was me being able to source parts for my car, and registering and titling my car as the car had never been titled in the United States. I told him this was my first JDM car, and I asked him if he would help me if I ran into any issues when I tried to register the car. He said, “Absolutely.” I also asked how I would be able to find parts for my car, and he told me he would help me. I said to him, “Do you mean to tell me that you help all your customers find parts for their cars after they purchase it from you?” He replied, “Absolutely.”

He also said my car had another issue: the heater/air conditioning control. This is a complex/unique part that controls the a/c, heater, and navigation/TV screen used to visualize the settings.He told me that it was repaired. In fact, it is permanently broken and cannot be repaired, nor can the unit be replaced as a replacement part does not exist.

I took delivery of the car in September of 2019: the heating and a/c unit was inoperable, the driver's door panel was water stained, and there were large chips on both bumpers that do not show on their website's pictures. The ac/heater will work for a few seconds, then die. The video he showed me was the few second when the unit is working.

I sent an email to the Brian describing the issues, and he called me back to discuss them. He stated he did not know how neither the water stains nor chips happened, and reiterated to me that the heating and a/c unit was fixed before the car was shipped to me. He concluded the conversation by telling that he would contact his repair person regarding how to fix the heating and air conditioning unit (again, this unit, I have since found ou, cannot be repaired nor replaced anywhere), as well as finding me a detailer in my city that could remove the water stains on the door panel. He told me he would contact me the next week. I never heard from him, and he has ignored my emails and voice messages.

Several weeks ago I tried to register the car and was told I didn’t have the proper paperwork. I called Brian – the same man that had come to my house and assured me he would help me register the car if I had issues - while I was at the department of motor vehicles and asked that he return my call to discuss the problems. After working with the dmv for 2 hours, they did take the paperwork and issued me a temporary registration, but told me the state may reject the paperwork, and regardless if they do or don’t, I should contact the dealer to discuss the issues that were found.

It's been 2 months since my last contact with the TopRank. I have sent multiple messages, all have been ignored. I currently have a car that is not yet registered, and may not be able to be registered at all, as well as a car with no heating or air conditioning that cannot be repaired.

The only thing I've asked for is information that was promised to me - how to repair my car’s heating/ac control, and how to register my car. It would cost them nothing to call me and spend 5 mins on the phone.

I've purchased 40+ used cars in my life, and this is the first time I've had to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and retain an attorney. I've also filed a complaint with the California DMV dealer investigations unit. All of this because this dealer won't return my call.

Before you purchase anything from this dealer, ask yourself: If you spent tens of thousands of dollars on a car, and they forgot to give you the paperwork to title your car, and then refused to call you back, how would you feel? As well, how would you feel purchasing a car with no a/c or heater that can never be repaired? They knew this was so, lied to me that it was repaired, and sold me the car anyhow.

·
Super Moderator
10,283 Posts
Moving to Shops and Parts Reviews.

Ken.

·
Registered
5 Posts
For anyone considering purchasing a car from TopRank motorsports in Cypress, CA:

After purchase and before I took delivery of the car, Brian - the sales manager - said he was in Minnesota visiting and came by my house to talk about Japanese cars that they import, as well as other cars I was interested in purchasing from them. Among topics we spoke of was me being able to source parts for my car, and registering and titling my car as the car had never been titled in the United States. I told him this was my first JDM car, and I asked him if he would help me if I ran into any issues when I tried to register the car. He said, “Absolutely.” I also asked how I would be able to find parts for my car, and he told me he would help me. I said to him, “Do you mean to tell me that you help all your customers find parts for their cars after they purchase it from you?” He replied, “Absolutely.”

He also said my car had another issue: the heater/air conditioning control. This is a complex/unique part that controls the a/c, heater, and navigation/TV screen used to visualize the settings.He told me that it was repaired. In fact, it is permanently broken and cannot be repaired, nor can the unit be replaced as a replacement part does not exist.

I took delivery of the car in September of 2019: the heating and a/c unit was inoperable, the driver's door panel was water stained, and there were large chips on both bumpers that do not show on their website's pictures. The ac/heater will work for a few seconds, then die. The video he showed me was the few second when the unit is working.

I sent an email to the Brian describing the issues, and he called me back to discuss them. He stated he did not know how neither the water stains nor chips happened, and reiterated to me that the heating and a/c unit was fixed before the car was shipped to me. He concluded the conversation by telling that he would contact his repair person regarding how to fix the heating and air conditioning unit (again, this unit, I have since found ou, cannot be repaired nor replaced anywhere), as well as finding me a detailer in my city that could remove the water stains on the door panel. He told me he would contact me the next week. I never heard from him, and he has ignored my emails and voice messages.

Several weeks ago I tried to register the car and was told I didn’t have the proper paperwork. I called Brian – the same man that had come to my house and assured me he would help me register the car if I had issues - while I was at the department of motor vehicles and asked that he return my call to discuss the problems. After working with the dmv for 2 hours, they did take the paperwork and issued me a temporary registration, but told me the state may reject the paperwork, and regardless if they do or don’t, I should contact the dealer to discuss the issues that were found.

It's been 2 months since my last contact with the TopRank. I have sent multiple messages, all have been ignored. I currently have a car that is not yet registered, and may not be able to be registered at all, as well as a car with no heating or air conditioning that cannot be repaired.

The only thing I've asked for is information that was promised to me - how to repair my car’s heating/ac control, and how to register my car. It would cost them nothing to call me and spend 5 mins on the phone.

I've purchased 40+ used cars in my life, and this is the first time I've had to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and retain an attorney. I've also filed a complaint with the California DMV dealer investigations unit. All of this because this dealer won't return my call.

Before you purchase anything from this dealer, ask yourself: If you spent tens of thousands of dollars on a car, and they forgot to give you the paperwork to title your car, and then refused to call you back, how would you feel? As well, how would you feel purchasing a car with no a/c or heater that can never be repaired? They knew this was so, lied to me that it was repaired, and sold me the car anyhow.

Jeff, you sent me this email 6 days ago, while I was out sick with the flu.. additionally we do have a phone other than my personal number which you also have... either way I get back to work today to a slu of you spewing garbage all over the internet. We left our last conversation at you saying you were going to have a shop up the road from your house have a look at it. So before I even begin any sort of civil conversation with you about helping you fix something we already fixed once and sent you proof of. I am dying to know what your saying about not being able to register your car. I sent you everything you needed to do so. Is this a lack of competence on your part or is something truly missing? You have not been ignored, I do not exist to serve only you. You left one voicemail on our general office line and sent one email while I was out of the office and you instantly turn to the internet to slander and degrade me because you lack the knowledge to register a vehicle despite having "purchased 40+ cars" anyone who has ever registred a car knows the temporary registration is issued before you receive your title and registration in the mail, which according to your DMV is being mailed to you. Finally, you didn't spend 10s of thousands you spend 10... and i've given you above and beyond service just as I have with all of our customers regardless of the dollar amount. Yes the car took time to deliver because 1) as per your request we replaced all the window regulators with parts that needed to be sourced and shipped from Japan and 2) you wanted us to get the car shipped enclosed for as cheap as possible, which we did.

I don't know what you're doing on a Supra Forum but I pity the person that you have your next JDM transaction with.

Brian Jannusch
Sales Manager
Toprank Importers

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"Jeff, you sent me this email 6 days ago, while I was out sick with the flu.. "

My first email was 2 weeks after you told me you would contact me after you spoke with your repair person (that was the second week in Sept), and would also tell me the name of detailer to remove the water stains that my car has, but did not show in the pictures that are still on your website. You had 2 weeks to get back to me by 9/30/19, and did not. I sent the email on 9/30/19. a week after you said you would contact me. You never contacted me, and never returned my email.

"additionally we do have a phone other than my personal number which you also have"

I have no such number. I have only the 844 number.

"... either way I get back to work today to a slu of you spewing garbage all over the internet."

If you check google reviews, you will set I am not alone in not being able to contact you after the sale. Since you don't return calls and follow up as promised, expect to have customers that are not happy. Giving a warning to others that you do not return calls and ignore customers is not slander.

Not a single thing I have posited is untrue. I have my verizon records and emails to prove what I say. Again, google reviews is your friend here. Others have had the exact same experience as I have; you do not return calls or emails for some of your customers. I am one of them. More so, I cc'd Sean, and also never heard back from him. That was a week ago.

"We left our last conversation at you saying you were going to have a shop up the road from your house have a look at it. So before I even begin any sort of civil conversation with you about helping you fix something we already fixed once and sent you proof of. "

I did take my car to the shop, and am still waiting for you to call me so we can discuss what was found. I have no contacts in the JDM world: you do, and told me that you help your customers get parts post-sale. It's been more than 2 months, and I have heard nothing from you. As well, the proof that the ac/heater unit was working was a 10 second video of it working. It works like that right now, only it only works once an hours or so while driving.

Also, we left our last conversation with you saying you would get back to me the following Monday (which would have been in the middle of September) with information on how to repair the multi/av unit and the name of the detailer to remove water stains that are not on the car in your website pictures. That was 8 weeks ago.

"I am dying to know what your saying about not being able to register your car."

If only there was some sort of invention like a phone where you could have called me and asked me about it 4 weeks ago.

"I sent you everything you needed to do so. Is this a lack of competence on your part or is something truly missing? "

Something is truly missing: you purposely not calling me or emailing for 2 months. I have never titled a car from Japan. You said you would help me with any issues I had titling the car. I left a message for you on the only phone number I have for you, and was at the DMV when I called you. I didnt expect you to call me right back, but did expect a call from you so that I could tell you what the DMV said. THEY said the car did not have the proper title. THEY told me to contact you so that the car could get titled, not just get a temp registration.

"You have not been ignored, I do not exist to serve only you. "

I have been ignored, and I am not alone. See the google reviews on your company.

"You left one voicemail on our general office line and sent one email'

I have left multiple voice mails and sent multiple emails to you and records to support my contention.

"and you instantly turn to the internet to slander and degrade me "

Instantly? Its been 8 weeks since you said you would call me back.

Slander: the action or crime of making a false spoken statement damaging to a person's reputation.

Not a single thing I have said is false. I have emails and phone records to prove what I say. Do you have any proof of any communication from you to me over the past 8 weeks? I'll wait.

No slander, only the facts and the promises you made to me. "I will can help you get parts for you car", "I will straighten out the shipping fees", and "I will contact our repair person about your ac/nav unit." Your words, and that was 8 weeks ago. I still do not have the $100 I am owed for giving you a deposit for shipping.

"you lack the knowledge to register a vehicle despite having purchased 40+ cars"

I've never titled car from Japan. I asked you specifically, "If I have any issues registering the car, will you help me?" you replied, "Absolutely." The DMV is the one that has the issue, not me. They told me that that the state may reject the final titling, and that I should contact the dealer. I did just that, and never heard back from you.

"Finally, you didn't spend 10s of thousands you spend 10"

Correct, but others have spent that amount, and their google reviews are online for anyone to read.

"and i've given you above and beyond service just as I have with all of our customers regardless of the dollar amount.

We can agree to disagree. What you call "Service" I call being ignored. You've had 8 weeks to get back to me after telling you would. If that is service for you, I rest my case.

"Yes the car took time to deliver because 1) as per your request we replaced all the window regulators with parts that needed to be sourced and shipped from Japan

I have no complaints that the car took so long to get shipped. You fixed the regulators, and that took time.

" you wanted us to get the car shipped enclosed for as cheap as possible, which we did."

Fine. 2 months later, you have not returned the $100 I am owed, which is something you said you would take care of with the shipper. That was 2 months ago.

"I don't know what you're doing on a Supra Forum but I pity the person that you have your next JDM transaction "with."

I'm on a supra forum because the internet is open to the public. Feel free to warn others about my obscure belief that 2 months with no return emails or voice mails is crazy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
9/24/18

Hi Brian,

I need to you contact me this week. I cannot wait as I did before for weeks or months to go by.

I have a car with a water stained door panel that was not that way in the pictures, and a car with no heating or air conditioning that Top Rank said was fixed. The car also has multiple dings and scrapes that are not in the photographs on your website.

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
You want your $100 extra that your yourself paid the transport back from
The transporter because you helped them unload the the car? The guy said he’d send it back to you ... he thought it was a tip. You can take that up with the transport company.

I sent you everything you needed prior to you even receiving the car. I’m under no legal obligation to provide or assisting you with anything further and because you refuse to be cordial i’m going to leave this at best of luck to you. The internet as you put it is open to the public so feel free to google the information you need.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is the shipping issue you say is up to me to fix. In fact, you said you would take car of it as i had nothing to do with it.

Rereading my emails, I appear to be very cordial

From you on 9/17/19

Jeff, im sorry to hear about that part, ill see what i can do to get you something to replace that. I have a video of the display working so not sure what happened there. Ill ask our tech in the morning.

Finally, they did charge the deposit the total for shipping was $1600 and the remaining balance should have been $1400 due at delivery.. I will call them in the morning to sort this out for you

Brian Jannusch
Sales Manager

On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 2:02 PM XXX wrote:

Hi Brian

A couple of things with the car.

The first time I got out of it, when I released my seat belt, the housing and headliner for it on the b pillar (see attachment) fell apart on my shoulder. Looking at the broken pieces and the headliner that fell on me, this defect appears to have been in place before I took delivery of the car and appears that someone tried to fix it by stuffing the headliner into the broken plastic piece.

The center display and all of the buttons are dead.

I realize that I did not do a PPI (my fault), and that this is a 27 year old car. But the problems I listed leave me disappointed.

Finally, I had sent you a deposit for the shipping company, but they said they never received it. I paid the full $1500 to the shipper. Please refund my deposit when you have a minute.

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
67 Posts
I think this looks like a high expectation mixed with a low result. Top Rank has some high profile clients and friends in the Supra world. What your expectations were are not USUALLY delivered in a 27 year old imported used car from around the world. If top rank made those comments to everyone that every detail was in the pictures, everyone would be dissatisfied and disappointed. Your entitlement seems excessive. Perhaps you are the guy that siphons out the gas prior to a sale because that was your gas that you paid for. You sound very frustrated, but nothing you mentioned would actually turn me away from a purchase. It all seems kinda catty, except trying to fix the A/C heater. Brian, can the A/C system be sourced? Or is fixing it the only option?

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
143 Posts
I think this looks like a high expectation mixed with a low result. Top Rank has some high profile clients and friends in the Supra world. What your expectations were are not USUALLY delivered in a 27 year old imported used car from around the world. If top rank made those comments to everyone that every detail was in the pictures, everyone would be dissatisfied and disappointed. Your entitlement seems excessive. Perhaps you are the guy that siphons out the gas prior to a sale because that was your gas that you paid for. You sound very frustrated, but nothing you mentioned would actually turn me away from a purchase. It all seems kinda catty, except trying to fix the A/C heater. Brian, can the A/C system be sourced? Or is fixing it the only option?

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk
We reading the same thing?From what I read it seems like some major oversight with poor communication coming Top Ranks end with OP, if the emails are indeed real which would be some real dedication to fake and havent been disputed. Just because Top Rank has high profile clients, it wouldnt mean they treat all clients fairly across the board. They promised OP things and failed to keep their word, seems cut and dry to me.

·
Registered
634 Posts
my vote is to delete this entire thread. worthless. not supra related, just a bitch fest --nobody looks good imho and it reflects poorly on the site. why is this nonsense allowed

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's supra-related if someone plans to purchase one from them. I posted this as a warning. I wish someone would have warned me.

The car I purchased was in excellent condition for a 27yr old, 1 owner car. I needs normal things like shocks, but the paint, body and drivetrain are amazingly nice. My issue was beyond simple: a 5 min call. that's it. A 5 min call, which I had already been promised.

When I went to the DMV, they would not accept the paperwork and wanted me to start from scratch as though the car had never been titled anywhere. After being there 2 hours, and calling toprank while I was standing there telling them what i type here in a message, the DMV finally accepted the paperwork, but said there was a 50-50 chance the state would reject it, and it could take 2 months for me to find out. THEY said, contact your dealer and have them confirm that they sent the title to you in the event the state denies titling your car. It appears I must be crazy for calling toprank, on the only number I know, and leaving yet another message in a long line of other messages they will not return.

I could not, and cannot get then to call me. And this after already not getting return calls about another simple thing i was promised: tell me how to fix the ac/heater, because you (top rank) just had it repaired, no one else would have a clue how to fix this thing, so who better to know how to fix i.

That's it: it appears I went crazy by wanting a single 5 min phone call to confirm - per the dmv telling me to - that i was sent the tile, and second, how can I get my ac fixed.

That's it. Nothing more.

And there are other reviews of people that had the same experience.

And please, faking emails? For what gain? I needed top rank for the 2 reasons above. Why would I make ANYTHING up?

It doesn't matter how high-end toprank is, or how well they are respected by others. For reasons I cannot understand, after 9/24/19, they never contacted me as they said they would with info about my ac, and they would not return any of my emails or phone calls. And I am not the only one this has happened to.

Feel free to kill this thread, as I understand why.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I need to mention one more thing. When I got the car, the door panel was waterstained. The car in their pictures has pristine door panels. The stains are deep and hardened. I sent an email to brian and asked that this panel be replaced. When he and I next talked on the phone about that email, and this was our last conversation, he said he would find a good detailer to fix it, and said that's fine when me. It was assumed I would pay for it which I could care less about.

And know, Brian had initially described the car to me as unusually nice, and it is.

·
Super Moderator
9,943 Posts
You bought a JDM car sight unseen.
Before, it seems, you adequately researched the particulars of registering a JDM car in your state, and before allowing a reasonable and confidential correspondence between you and TopRank to address your problems. So instead you joined this forum and doubtless many more on a wild haterade spree of TopRank.

Here's the thing. You bought a 27 year old Japanese car. It sucks that it was not as described and it sucks that you have those problems. Those issues should have been addressed to the company and you should have been calling the office, etc, and giving them time to work; not blowing up one employee's cell phone the entire time.
Your posts here do not strike me as someone that has been reasonable or otherwise easy to work with.

Frankly, I understand Jan's frustration with you and at this point, from his perspective I do not think it's possible to 'save you' as a happy customer. Whether he tells you to push your Cima off a cliff and get fucked, or he provides a full refund, you'll be shit talking TopRank to the ends of the earth.

Since you've already shit-talked TopRank all over, that ship has sailed; ergo, TopRank has nothing to gain by making you happy except perhaps the passing approval of third parties on this forum that perhaps see Jan making it right, despite you acting like an asshole about it.

Look over your paperwork, bill of sale, etc whatever you have; I am almost certain somewhere it says 'no warranty expressed or implied' or 'as-is condition' etc. If this is not true and a warranty was indeed included, I would first be astonished at Top Rank for offering a warranty at all, and second, I would be astonished that you didn't ask for the proper contact regarding warranty issues, instead of beating up a sales manager about it.

Bottom line, I can appreciate how much it sucks to spend a lot of your hard earned money and not receive what you thought you paid for. I have been there to the tune of 5 digits and it sucks.
But JDM cars can be complicated and present different registration issues from state to state, so while Jan may have earnestly meant what he said on helping with registration issues,he may not have been familiar with all of the requirements of your state or even county; your locale is largely up to you as the buyer, not the seller, in my mind.

Furthermore, seeing things like water stained door panels and bad HVAC components are common on 27+ year old cars. This is why a JDM car with specific and hard to source parts should be treated differently than a normal car, and perhaps you should have adjusted your expectations accordingly. While Japanese market cars are frequently well maintained and lower mileage, they are still 25+ years old. That said, the HVAC being operated for a few seconds before failing, and your assertion that the video was shot in such a way as to mask the failure, is troubling. Same with the water damaged door panel, but on that I would be concerned about the weather stripping on the door and whether or not the car was shipped in an enclosed trailer. Plenty of opportunity for a bad window seal to damage a door panel if it got caught in the rain between SoCal and Minnesota.
But at that point, who's at fault? TopRank didn't put it in the rain, the shipping company can't be expected to check windows for water-tight condition before loading it on an open trailer. If you can prove the door panel was not damaged before shipping, that is a shipping insurance issue/damage claims issue, not a problem with TopRank. If you can prove it was damaged and the photos altered to mitigate the look of the damage before you bought it, well, that would obviously be an issue with TopRank.

Regardless, I will leave this thread open so Jan can address your issues publicly. It's a holiday weekend so like any regular person I'd expect him to address this sometime next week. I hope he can make it right and I hope you'll be understanding and reasonably accommodating of Jan through the rest of this process.

If this goes off the rails any other way I'll happily just delete this thread and ban the OP, since this really doesn't have anything to do with Supras.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts