Supra Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
You bought a JDM car sight unseen.

--Correct

Before, it seems, you adequately researched the particulars of registering a JDM car in your state, and before allowing a reasonable and confidential correspondence between you and TopRank to address your problems.

--I asked toprank specifically: Have you ever sold cars to people in MN, and have there been any problems?"
Answer: "We have sold cars in MN, and never had any problems."

--I asked specifically: "if I do have problems, will you help?

--Answer: "Absolutely"

So instead you joined this forum and doubtless many more on a wild haterade spree of TopRank.

--Hatred? I explained that this company stopped returning calls and emails after 9/24/19. And others have had this exact same problem. If you read that as hate, OK.

Here's the thing. You bought a 27 year old Japanese car. It sucks that it was not as described and it sucks that you have those problems.

--the car is in excellent overall condition, exactly as described before I purchased it. The door panel and ac are the issues with the car, and both were promised to be addressed, the first with the name of a good detailer in my area, and the second with how to get the ac control repaired. Again, that's it.

Those issues should have been addressed to the company and you should have been calling the office, etc, and giving them time to work; not blowing up one employee's cell phone the entire time.

--When I took delivery of the car, the AC/heater was broken, but I was told it was previously fixed. Brian got back to me the next day, and said, he would contact the repair people the next day, and get back to me the next week. That was 2 months ago. After 2 weeks of not hearing back from him, I called and emailed 4 times over a 2 months period. That isn't blowing up anything. I believe this is reasonable.

Your posts here do not strike me as someone that has been reasonable or otherwise easy to work with.

--OK

Frankly, I understand Jan's frustration with you and at this point, from his perspective I do not think it's possible to 'save you' as a happy customer. Whether he tells you to push your Cima off a cliff and get fucked, or he provides a full refund, you'll be shit talking TopRank to the ends of the earth.

--I have asked for nothing but a return call that I promised telling me how to get my ac repaired and the name of a good detailer.

Since you've already shit-talked TopRank all over, that ship has sailed; ergo, TopRank has nothing to gain by making you happy except perhaps the passing approval of third parties on this forum that perhaps see Jan making it right, despite you acting like an asshole about it.

--I have been nothing but reasonable. When the DMV told me to call the dealer because they did not see the title, I left 1 voicemail and sent 1 email. That was 5 weeks. I have heard nothing back. How this is shit-talking a company I don't know.

Look over your paperwork, bill of sale, etc whatever you have; I am almost certain somewhere it says 'no warranty expressed or implied' or 'as-is condition' etc. If this is not true and a warranty was indeed included, I would first be astonished at Top Rank for offering a warranty at all, and second, I would be astonished that you didn't ask for the proper contact regarding warranty issues, instead of beating up a sales manager about it.

--I have never beaten up anybody about the car's condition. I have asked to find how/where to send the ac unit for repair. The car in the pictures show a pristine door panel. The door panel when I received the car is water stained. Brian said he would get back to me "the next week" with the name of a good car detailer. That was 2 months ago.

Bottom line, I can appreciate how much it sucks to spend a lot of your hard earned money and not receive what you thought you paid for. I have been there to the tune of 5 digits and it sucks.

--The car is in excellent condition. I have asked for nothing except a return phone call to tell me if the title was sent to me, and if so, which document is it, and the person I can send the ac control to get it repaired. Again, one phone call.
You are others seem to be reading into this meaning that is not present. Before I got he car, I was told the ac control was repaired. I got the car. The ac control was broken. And the door panel was stained. I spoke with Brian and he said: "I will get you the info on the ac repair, and I will get you the name of a detailer, and I will contact you next week when I am you town." That was 2 months ago. I have heard nothing. This includes leaving them a message that he DMV may not title my car, and I needed to know which of the documents I was sent is the title. I do not read japanee, I have never had a JDM car before, the DMV had the issue, and I did what any normal person would do if they have trouble titling a car, whether it be JDM or from bobs used cars: I called the dealer and asked the call me back.

But JDM cars can be complicated and present different registration issues from state to state, so while Jan may have earnestly meant what he said on helping with registration issues,he may not have been familiar with all of the requirements of your state or even county; your locale is largely up to you as the buyer, not the seller, in my mind.

--Brian specifically told me my state has no issues with titling JDM cars, and if they did, he would help me. He will not return my call.

Furthermore, seeing things like water stained door panels and bad HVAC components are common on 27+ year old cars.

--It is not in the pictures of the car. These pictures are online right now. The door panel is pristine. Mine looks like the car was left out in the rain.

This is why a JDM car with specific and hard to source parts should be treated differently than a normal car, and perhaps you should have adjusted your expectations accordingly.

--I asked Brian: "Do you help people source their parts? This is my first JDM car." Answer : "Absolutely". My expectations were this: If I cannot find the part for my car, I will call Brian for help. Again, I cannot see how that is not reasonable. He told me to.

While Japanese market cars are frequently well maintained and lower mileage, they are still 25+ years old. That said, the HVAC being operated for a few seconds before failing, and your assertion that the video was shot in such a way as to mask the failure, is troubling.

--Without a return phone call to find out how it was repaired the first time, I assume it was never repaired in the first place.

Same with the water damaged door panel, but on that I would be concerned about the weather stripping on the door and whether or not the car was shipped in an enclosed trailer. Plenty of opportunity for a bad window seal to damage a door panel if it got caught in the rain between SoCal and Minnesota.
But at that point, who's at fault? TopRank didn't put it in the rain, the shipping company can't be expected to check windows for water-tight condition before loading it on an open trailer.

--The car was transported on a covered carrier, and the door panel on the pictures that are online show the door panel is pristine. Both window regulators failed and the windows would not roll up. This is what I was told, and toprank fixed both regulators before shipping me the car.

If you can prove the door panel was not damaged before shipping, that is a shipping insurance issue/damage claims issue, not a problem with TopRank. If you can prove it was damaged and the photos altered to mitigate the look of the damage before you bought it, well, that would obviously be an issue with TopRank.

--Yes, it is, and I say this because they refuse to return my calls and emails (a total of 4 of them over a 2 months period).

Regardless, I will leave this thread open so Jan can address your issues publicly. It's a holiday weekend so like any regular person I'd expect him to address this sometime next week. I hope he can make it right and I hope you'll be understanding and reasonably accommodating of Jan through the rest of this process.

- I have asked for, and expected, a 5 min phone call. Nothing else. Brian told me he would call me back the next week - which was 2 months ago - with the details on what was done to the ac, and hopefully where I can send it to be fixed. He also said he would give me the name of the detailer to clean the door panel.

If this goes off the rails any other way I'll happily just delete this thread and ban the OP, since this really doesn't have anything to do with Supras.

-I put this here to tell my experience. That a dealer will not return a promise call , and more so, won't return emails and voice messages (left an average of 1 time every week for 2 months), is absurd. Google reviews shows I am not allow with this happening. Brian took 5 minutes to tell me on this forum how unreasonable I am and that he pities the next seller I get a car from. In less time than it took to write that post, he could have called me (and had 2 months to do so), and say :"here is how you can get your ac fixed, here is the name of the detailer, and tell the dmv your title has XYZ at the top of the page."

What would I gain by making any of this up? I like the car. It's condition is what was described to me. The issue is that they refuse to return a simple phone call. And google reviews show they have done this to others.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
"not blowing up one employee's cell phone the entire time. "

I have no one's cell number. I have only one number, their 844 number. And I left exactly 3 messages on it over a 2 month period, each asking to please call me back.

·
iSPOOL
1,066 Posts
Not taking either side but after reading it seems to be a failure to communicate from both parties. Calling 4x in 2 months isn't adequate to me, if I had a problem with a product I would call weekly or on my off days. And if no one answered I would leave messages explaining when I'm free for a call back.

Simultaneously a business should be able to contact you if they made a prior commitment to assist with the import & titling process. The level of service should be consistent, pre and post any monetary transaction.

I don't know the OP or Top Rank plus I'm sure I do not have all the details but from the outside looking in it appears that neither communicated properly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
" And if no one answered I would leave messages explaining when I'm free for a call back. "

I did leave messages. And I sent emails. 8 total over a 2 month period. This is not excessive. If you Google reviews for top rank show I am not the only person this has happened to.

And the only assistance in registering the car I needed was having a question answered. It's the DMV that had the question. I was simply passing it on. The issue could have been resolved in 10 seconds with one phone call.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Not taking either side but after reading it seems to be a failure to communicate from both parties. Calling 4x in 2 months isn't adequate to me, if I had a problem with a product I would call weekly or on my off days. And if no one answered I would leave messages explaining when I'm free for a call back.

Simultaneously a business should be able to contact you if they made a prior commitment to assist with the import & titling process. The level of service should be consistent, pre and post any monetary transaction.

I don't know the OP or Top Rank plus I'm sure I do not have all the details but from the outside looking in it appears that neither communicated properly.
View attachment 246295
Its seems to me OP is in the right, had he said done more it would've been considered "bombarding" I think multiple attempts over this stretch of time and the company not even returning the call. The onus is on the company, they promised OP said service or at least rendered services with reassurances that they would help him through the process to facilitate the sale and seemingly blew him off once the process was finished.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Correct, I didn't bombard anyone with anything, and I have all my call records (that I even had to collect my call records is insane, but my attorney told me to do so). Brian stated I have 2 phone numbers to call them on, and that I had blown up his cell phone. I have no such number other than the 844 number. And in no way did I blow up that number, in the least. 4 times over 8 weeks is reasonable, and more so, how many messages must be left to get a return call?

"seemingly blew him off once the process was finished. " Not seemingly; they did, and have. And I don't even know what I said or did to warrant it.

I have a car with no ac or heater, that was worked on just before I took delivery, and I was told that I would be given the details what was worked on and how to fix it/be given some details as this part is very unique and so far it cannot be replaced nor repaired. The dmv also had a problem with the paperwork I was given, so I left another message with them asking them to please call me. That call was a month ago. I never heard back from them.

Just after Brian responded to this posting stating he pities the next person I purchase a car from, someone at top rank called me. They didn't leave a message, but I saw their 844-xxx-xxxx number on my caller ID. I called them back the same day, and left a message and told them who I was, said that I saw they had called me per my caller ID, and left my number asking that they call me back. This is the first call I've received from them in 2 months. They haven't returned my call.

The following is a google online review from someone else that purchased a car from them. Anyone can find this and other reviews of top rank online. Most reviews are positive, some are not. Notice in top rank's response that they refer the person to go to the top rank website for help with getting the car registered. Why not simply call the person - who wrote they'd already spent 6 hours at the dmv to no avail - and say:

"Hi, what is the DMV saying and how can we help you get your car registered"?

Like me, the DMV clearly had issues with his/her paperwork. The DMV problem is not with the purchaser - the problem is with the DMV, and cannot be solved with out top rank.

After a month of not hearing from top rank, my attorney had someone go to their physical address as I thought perhaps top rank had gone out of business. I was told that, when the investigator arrived, top rank were apparently still in business, but as the person below stated, their doors were locked during business hours.

Finally, top rank states in their response to this purchaser who states he could not contact them for 3 months: "We have email forms, emails, and a phone number to contact us." Yes, we know, and top rank ignores all of them (at least for me and a few others).

Here is that online google review from a year ago - it mirrors my experience:

" When I first started contacting Toprank it was very difficult to get them on the phone or to respond to emails and this should have been a red flag for me. I wanted a certain car they had and I persisted with calling and emails, finally got them to sell me the car. When I purchased the car they assured me they would assist with the registration process for a additional fee, I agreed and paid in full. Since I took the car home I have not been able to get them to respond to me in any way. I waited 3 weeks of patiently then started emailing/calling every other day for almost 3 months with no response in any way. I even went to the Cypress office a few times and it is always locked with nobody around. I'm so upset because I don't know where to really start with getting the car registered and the DMV is really no help, I spent about 6 hours total there hoping to get some answers but they just say it can't be registered. I purchased this car to be a Sunday driver but now it just sits in my garage collecting dust. I love the car and want to get out to drive it not just look at it in the garage, plus I want to do a bunch of things to repair it and bring it up to my liking but feel its pointless if I can't drive the car. I spent a lot of money on this car and it would take all my spare change to get it the way I want it so its really not fare to drain myself if I can't get any pleasure of driving.

"I specifically purchased a car that was already in CA from a importer so I didn't have to go threw the headaches of importing myself but at this point I could have save almost 15k just buying directly from Japan myself. "

BUYERS BEWARE!!

WOW, you see their response to my review? This is typical... Now they don't know who I am yet I spent over 40k with them... Funny that they respond to this review but don't answer the phone or return emails... Anyone thinking of buying from them should take that as a sign, go ahead and call them and I will bet they don't answer the phone then email them and I bet they don't respond to the email. This is not a fake account by any means, I have had this email for years and purchased from them in January. These guys are messed up

{TOP RANK RESPONSE TO REVIEWER}
We have no one named Jay Fansworth as a customer. Are you sure you bought a car from us, and not from someone else? What is the chassis number of the car you purchased? Who did you deal with? We didn't sell this person a car. We have extensive information about California and California policy on our website. https://www.importavehicle.com/california-buyer The shop is open from 10 am to 7 pm Monday to Friday as mentioned on our website(and often later and earlier). We have email forms, emails, and a phone number to contact us. Please remove this fake review, or we will have it removed.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts