Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the stock converter reworked to bring the stall from 2200 to 2900. Here are some pics of the inside after the fins have been modified.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/dms03/Convert3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/dms03/convert1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/dms03/Convert2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/dms03/Convert4.jpg

I am getting a new one (higher stall yet) so the shop had to cut the old one in half. The place is called Performance Torque Converters.(PTC) In Tigerton Wi. Charlie is a great guy who owns the business, mainly does stock converters for dealerships, but can do just about anything to a converter. To rework the stock only cost 100 bucks!! My new one will cost a little more (Like 650-700)

I could not see paying the ridiculously high prices for a torque converter from some of the online stores. I have seen prices from 2300 to 3200 dollars!!!

With the stock converter I ran a 13.7 in the 1/4. With the reworked converter it dropped to 13.3 The car drives almost like it did before the stall was raised.

Basically they cut in apart and then changed the angle of the inside fins and changed the angle of the bend on the outside fins. If you look closely the original slot for the inside fins are still there.

Dennis

·
when this baby hits 88mph
2,198 Posts
good deal man. that will really help out. my car launches so much better w/ the bigger stall.
yeah some of those converters are big money. those are the custom made 4000 stall +
modified stock and less than 4000 stall are quite a bit cheaper.
i cant imagine driving 4000 on the street tho. my 3400 is enough.

hope it all works out well for you!

dave

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How is a 3400 stall? I couldn't tell with a 2900(the one in the pics) unless I was at a stop sign on a larger sized hill or if I turned the wheels sharply at a stop. I'm a little worried about my new one. It will still have a lockup, which should help out the gas milage on the highway.

·
Token Black Fry
364 Posts
it's cool seeing the insides of a converter, i chopped open one i found at work, pretty cool stuff. it's fun rippin open an auto tranny too.

·
when this baby hits 88mph
2,198 Posts
crafty said:
How is a 3400 stall? I couldn't tell with a 2900(the one in the pics) unless I was at a stop sign on a larger sized hill or if I turned the wheels sharply at a stop. I'm a little worried about my new one. It will still have a lockup, which should help out the gas milage on the highway.
its like driving a slipping clutch at low rpm and have to give it quite a bit of throttle going up hills. it shifts way too low if you have in norm mode so that doesnt exist anymore.
on the good side, it launches like mad and i still get 22mpg.
i havent ran it on the new turbo yet, should help out even more.

dave

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Supra Junky: The converter is for a A340. If you have a A340 I don't see why it wouldn't work. Unless the bolt pattern is different for the flex plate?

Dbsupra: That's good to know. I hope it is the same(or better) for me.

XFFE: Near Green Bay

·
I Didn't Do It!
1,030 Posts
not far from me, maybe after i fix my friggin clutch that just decided to blow up on me we could hang out sometime.

·
CT12 Destroyer
2,993 Posts
crafty said:
Supra Junky: The converter is for a A340. If you have a A340 I don't see why it wouldn't work. Unless the bolt pattern is different for the flex plate?

Dbsupra: That's good to know. I hope it is the same(or better) for me.

XFFE: Near Green Bay

1jz Auto tranny = A342

·
Registered
249 Posts
what are ur mods crafty?

·
2,279 Posts
100 bucks is retarded cheap. Man, and I thought I was getting a deal when I had mine done for 300 bucks...

Can you post up some more contact info for this shop?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Charlie's Place

The place that did my converter is called

Performance Torque Converters
131 Cedar Street
P.O. Box 404
Tigerton, WI 54486

Phone 1-715-535-3194 or 1-888-663-8675

They reworked my stocker for around $100.00 in about 4 days. Course, I can just drive there and pick it up, so there will be a longer turnaround with shipping. If you call, mention my name and maybe I'll get a better deal next time I need something from them!!!! The guy that owns the place, is a great guy named Charlie. If Charlie's not there I usually talk to Justin. I highly recommend them. They do great work at a great price!! My new converter took about three weeks, but Charlie took a plate of steel and machined it down to Space Shuttle tolerances. It was so close that when he test fit it, and was bragging about what a good job he did, it expanded from the heat of turning it on the lathe, and it got stuck in the converter!!! They had to pack it with snow to shrink it down to get it apart again!! He went back and machined it a little more so it fit a little looser!! I also got a great deal on the new converter.

Bzdaname: The mods that mattered when I ran 13.3 were

3" exhaust turbo back
SAFC II
Muffler shop hard pipes
Profec B
Lex AFM(440 inectors)

I think. (it's been awhile)

XFFE: Send me a PM when you get her running!!

Dennis

·
JZA70 or go home!!
2,495 Posts
nice!, the pictures send chills down my spin for some reason, looks like a metalic alien sea creature..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts