Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup. I'm planning on upgrading my torque converter to a higher stall one and I have a couple of questions.

1)Has anyone had any experience with a 4000 stall on the stock twins? Stores say that they are perfectly drivable, but they are also trying to sell it.

2) I have a tranny cooler installed already, do I have to upgrade the rest of my tranny for a performance torque converter?

Thanks.

·
Sudafed can't kill me.
980 Posts
RSP TRD Single-T said:
I bought the 4000 RPM stall from Precision Industries (through Sound Performance). Haven't installed it yet, but can't wait! With stock twins I'd recommend a 3200 RPM stall though. PM or email RYan Hawkins (RSP Supra) for his feedback. He's very knowledgeable about this stuff.

John
www.utahracing.com/supras/john.html
Ryan is RSA Supra.;)

·
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I am planning on upgrading twins next year, and I don't want to end up upgrading again to a 4000 stall if I get the 3200 stall this year. How would doing the true twin conversion and a 4000 stall sound? Thanks for replying.

·
Administrator
4,970 Posts
I have what was called a 2800 stall, but its somewhere around 2800-3200. I personally would not go with anything higher than that on stock twins. I think you would give up drivability and not really get any more benefit because you can smoke the tires plenty on the launch w/ a 3200 stall.

I've been able to pull pretty consistant 1.8 60' times on street tire with a moderate launch. I could launch harder, but with street tires they just go up in smoke. If you put slicks on, you might benefit from the 4000stall a little, but if you're planning on driving around town rather than having a full time drag car. Go with the lower stall.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts