Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Nottin' like boost...
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have searched the topic and have a pretty good understanding of it since i also considered putting one in my mustang when I had it. I would probably like to get a 3800 or 4k stall to get the most out of it. Now the question is where to get one and what company is good? I really dont understand the difference between one piece and 3 piece, etc. This tc wouldnt be for a single turbo or anything, just a bpu supra that later will have the two pluses of fmic and safc in a few months, so im not lookin for one able to take 1000rwhp, just something for my particular application. Any suggestions, any help? i would also definitely wire up a lock up switch since every couple weeks i take a 140 mile trip back home

·
Toyota MasterTech
936 Posts
i went with the precision industries 3600-3800 stall. i can actually stall it up to around 3900. it is amazing at the track and on the street. my car is only bpu+++ and this was the best mod ive ever done. im getting 1.6 60' times with this stall on bfg tires. if you are interrested in getting this kind of converter pm vntperformance (his name is Val), and he gets really good deals on them. i ordered mine from him and had it 4 days later.

·
Chillen at the Holidae In
254 Posts
How much would be a legit aftermarket tourque converter?

steve

·
Toyota MasterTech
936 Posts
if i remember correctly i paid around $945 shipped for mine. i know it wasnt over $975.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Yeah, don't bother with the $400 factory rebuilt ones. I wonder if Val is still selling PI converters since he did trash his. I'd look into the Midwest converters since I have heard they are very good. i guess for your power levels though any company would probably be fine.

I would recommend a converter that stalls at 3600rpm for the stockers. In my mind that is perfect. Enough stall to get over that 1-2 transition and build plenty of boost while still staying a little tighter than the 3800-4000 stalls. Remember, the higher you go with the stall, the more top end you lose.

·
Nottin' like boost...
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
VeilsideTT said:
Yeah, don't bother with the $400 factory rebuilt ones. I wonder if Val is still selling PI converters since he did trash his. I'd look into the Midwest converters since I have heard they are very good. i guess for your power levels though any company would probably be fine.

I would recommend a converter that stalls at 3600rpm for the stockers. In my mind that is perfect. Enough stall to get over that 1-2 transition and build plenty of boost while still staying a little tighter than the 3800-4000 stalls. Remember, the higher you go with the stall, the more top end you lose.
whatever stall would be the best for the stock twins, sequential or ttc, i have the ettc so i can choose which one i want right now, i keep hearing how people love their 3800 and 4k stalls, so i dont want to end up getting like a 3200 and not getting the most out of it

N

·
0 Posts
I have a 4200 stall on my stock twins (awaiting the single install). Its out of control, and my nitto 555Rs can catch for shit if i stall it all the way up. I have the stock cats on now too...
Check out Midwestern converters. I have a PI now, but they supposedly arent as durable. When my tc breaks, ill send it to MW to get rebuilt.

S

·
0 Posts
Yank makes some of the best torque converters out there as well, might want to look into them also.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
yea I ordered a midwest converter, but they are taking so damn long. I put my order in back in august and still havent gotten the converter yet, but i hear the converter is a good piece compared to the PI units so Im willing to wait. their site is raceconverters.com.

carlo

·
Ok, ok, maybe 500rwhp!!!
1,184 Posts
TRANNY COOLERS! Make sure you install tranny coolers!!!!

I have 2 coolers, one in each front duct, and each have built in automatic fans!

You're going to build a lot of heat with the t/c, and the factory (built into the bottom of the radiator) cooler will not cut it!

Brian

·
Nottin' like boost...
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
brianb said:
TRANNY COOLERS! Make sure you install tranny coolers!!!!

I have 2 coolers, one in each front duct, and each have built in automatic fans!

You're going to build a lot of heat with the t/c, and the factory (built into the bottom of the radiator) cooler will not cut it!

Brian
yeah im not gonna buy the tc until i have money for 2 tranny coolers and a temp gauge

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I got my tranny rebuilt by Brian at Transwerks in Huntington Beach, CA. He did not use the PI converter, but I don't remember the name of the one he did use. It has a 3800 stall, but I haven't had a chance to really launch it yet. Looking forward to some low 60 ft times (hopefully!):cool:

The car is sluggish when I am driving regular, but when I build up the boost, it's very nice.:D

·
Nottin' like boost...
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i thought it would be less sluggish since u get into your power band faster?

also is it really necessary to get a tranny cooler with a fan? they are like 200 bucks each! a normal tranny cooler is like 55 bucks, i saw a 9 inch fan for sale for 60 bucks, so u can have one with a fan and one without, or you can have one with the original fan, just wondering if u really need fans if you have 2 tranny coolers

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
midwest told me the converter would cost $690, but when I talked to val he told me it would be $945 shipped. Maybe I heard them wrong when I talked to them. Ill ask them again when I check on the status next week.

carlo

·
Ok, ok, maybe 500rwhp!!!
1,184 Posts
99YellowStang said:
nm i just found tranny coolers for 99 bucks a piece with free 180 degree thermostats, id probably end up picking those up

Make sure they aren't too big, mine were the perfect size, and fit up in the duct areas (under the headlights) quite nicely.

cooler

I also have a temp gauge, and sender, but I need to buy fittings that'll fit inline with the rubber transmission lines.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts