Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Installing a street torque kit, 6266. Having problems with the fitment of the dump tube.

As I rotate the waste gate (precision 46mm) counterclockwise to make the dump tube clear the down pipe, the dump tube ends up against the side of the car and pointing at the under frame instead of the hole where it should.

Even when rotated all of the way over to the side of the car the down pipe flange still hits the dump tube. In the one pic I'm hold the down pipe at the turbo outlet and it's not flush to be able to put the v-band on because the down pipe flange is up against the dump tube.

In a few pics of the kit I've seen it looks like the dump tube has a tighter bend in it.

What am I'm missing here? Hate to have to cut and modify it after spending money on the high temp coating.

Down Pipe.jpg IMG_20160306_174504.jpg

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Here is a pic I was comparing to. In this pic it looks like the bend in the dump tube is tighter than mine. It passes between two mounting holes of down pipe flange. Mine passes where the outside bolt hole is on the flange.

1tseao.jpg

·
Boost Junkie
12,455 Posts
Can you rotate the wastegate at the header at make up the difference? Maybe 45-90 degrees or so? They WG has several vacuum ports that can be used.

Steve

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hey Steve. I've got the wastegate rotated in the direction it can go as far as I can. It can't go back the other way because the dump tube is already hitting the down pipe. I think the dump tube wasn't bent enough in a tight enough radius. If I don't figure it out by the weekend I guess I'll end up cutting it and having it rewelded. Trying to get things finished up by the end of the month since I've been at this since December rebuilding everything from the clutch back and getting this turbo kit on. Was hoping PHR had some input before I destroy the coating on it.

Another pic from another thread. Dump tube looks like it comes off the waste gate and takes a hard turn down to the hole in the subframe. Mine doesn't line up with that hole.

Attachments

·
Boost Junkie
12,455 Posts
The dumptube they sent looks like one for their PHR tubular manifolds if you ask me. It looks identical to my rear dumptube for my HKS manifold.

Steve K.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Hey Steve. I've got the wastegate rotated in the direction it can go as far as I can. It can't go back the other way because the dump tube is already hitting the down pipe. I think the dump tube wasn't bent enough in a tight enough radius. If I don't figure it out by the weekend I guess I'll end up cutting it and having it rewelded. Trying to get things finished up by the end of the month since I've been at this since December rebuilding everything from the clutch back and getting this turbo kit on. Was hoping PHR had some input before I destroy the coating on it.

Another pic from another thread. Dump tube looks like it comes off the waste gate and takes a hard turn down to the hole in the subframe. Mine doesn't line up with that hole.

I installed the PHR Torque Kit I bought from the BFS, recently I have the wg dump oriented like that and it rubs the subframe no matter how I clock it. I'm going to have to cut and reweld it to solve the rubbing issue. The bend is not tight enough.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:mad: So I thought I was onto something. After taking the dump tube off it's at a 90 degree angle. Got looking at the flange for the waste gate and as in the pic, it has an angle to it. That's seems to be a factor. So I flipped it thinking problem solved, but flipped, the waste gate hits the engine mount bracket. No go, back to the other way. Here is a second pic holding the dump tube so it points down through the under carriage. Needs to come off the waste gate more angled.

Other things:

Dump tube passes across the O2 flange on the down pipe (can't see with my hand blocking it), not like the assembled pic above where it passes below the O2 flange. Not sure if that's going to cause a problem.

I think those other pics are Tial waste gates, not Precision like mine. Not sure what difference it makes or if the kit was originally fabbed up with a Tial.

Close to admitting defeat and start cutting like rg422284 said.

Attachments

·
Registered
676 Posts
I ended up cutting the dumptube to put more angle earlier today; now there's plenty of clearance around. I, too, opted for the Precision wastegate; the dumptube was probably designed for the Tial?

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry you had the same problem, but at least I'm not alone and know it's not me. Would be nice to see how you cut it, but if you can't get an easy pic don't worry about. Sucks I paid for the coating. Cutting is easy enough, my local welder is just slow as hell. I'll wrap it when done like the guy did in the install thread I guess.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Sorry you had the same problem, but at least I'm not alone and know it's not me. Would be nice to see how you cut it, but if you can't get an easy pic don't worry about. Sucks I paid for the coating. Cutting is easy enough, my local welder is just slow as hell. I'll wrap it when done like the guy did in the install thread I guess.
I wrapped the dumptube and didn't take a picture prior to wrapping it. Wrapping works a lot better than the coating in regards to keeping underhood temps down. If you plan to wrap, use the titanium/lava version as they are a lot more durable and easier to work with than the 'regular' version.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
All of our street torque kits are fabricated and test fit on a car. It appears that you may have gotten a dump tube for one of our tubular manifolds. It's hard to tell from the picture to be 100%. To the best of my knowledge the Tial and Precision require the same positioning and fitment. We will test fit to confirm. Let's get a replacement sent out to you both. Shoot me a PM

Sam @ PHR

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Received new dump tube which does have a tighter angle and fits to hole in under carriage. However, as I feared in the beginning, dump tube crosses over lower part of O2 flange which prevents mounting the O2 in that spot. Visually comparing my down pipe to a photo from the street torque install thread, it looks my O2 flange was welded to the down pipe significantly lower resulting in the problem (reference the weld line in middle of down pipe). I think I need a down pipe where the flange is welded higher. Maybe a mistake in production?

Photo of another kit in the install thread:

Photo of my kit showing dump tube O2 flange interference:

My down pipe showing low mounting of flange:

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Couple more photos.

Side shot showing no way to mount O2 with flange mounted that low on down pipe:

Another shot of new dump tube with it mounted instead of holding. Further looking at it, it still needs more angle. No wiggle room to rotate waste gate. Rotating right, dump tube hits down pipe. Rotate left, dump tube hits body of car. I'd move on and make a dump tube, but need to resolve O2 flange first.

One other question. Are the O2 flange threads M8? M8 bolts will not thread into either of the holes. Are they a US thread pitch?

·
Boost Junkie
12,455 Posts
They use SAE bolts Ron.

Steve

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
PHR,

New down pipe received. I appreciate the efforts to correct the problem, but the new down pipe is not significantly different from the first. O2 flange is rotated in, but it's the height that is the problem with it sitting behind the dump tube. I recommend the flange be put to the outside to be completely away from the dump tube. At this point I don't mind getting a flange and having it welded in a better position, but that's going to mess up the coating. I wanted the coating more for rust protection since the down pipe is steel and if I grind it off to weld a new flange, that area and new flange will rust over time. Any last suggestions? The 2nd down pipe is also against the dump tube and still needs another 1/4" or so rotation after mocking up everything. 1st down pipe was ok in relation to the dump tube.

1st and 2nd:

O2 Still Partially Blocked on 2nd DP.

DP and Dump Tube Contact:

·
Boost Junkie
12,455 Posts
Oh Geez.

Steve

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I had to take a look at our most recent run of down pipes and you are correct with the 02 sensor flange being positioned poorly. Instead of sending singular parts to try and fix the issue, I have put together a whole set here to confirm 100% that there will be no issues with future street torque kits and will get this coated as quickly as possible for you. Here is a picture for reference.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts