Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone !

I need reliable information about this topic. Interested everything: dyno charts, forum threads, websites, even Youtube. Everything !
I did search of course, but perhaps i have overlooked something. There are tons of information and proof about GE non-VVTI engines, but not much about VVTI.
I know it has weaker rods and pistons.

In the near future i will be having 2JZ-GE VVTI with 800WHP capable turbocharger on my dyno and we will try to push a little unopened 2JZ on E85.

·
Super Moderator
10,037 Posts
Hello everyone !

I need reliable information about this topic. Interested everything: dyno charts, forum threads, websites, even Youtube. Everything !
I did search of course, but perhaps i have overlooked something. There are tons of information and proof about GE non-VVTI engines, but not much about VVTI.
I know it has weaker rods and pistons.

In the near future i will be having 2JZ-GE VVTI with 800WHP capable turbocharger on my dyno and we will try to push a little unopened 2JZ on E85.
You might try searching around on US-centric Lexus IS300 forums. They've got the most experience with the limitations of the 2JZ-GE VVTi.

While I don't have any specific information, what I seem to hear time and again is they should be expected to fail around 400-450whp or ~350-400wtq, whichever threshold is crossed first.

·
Registered
983 Posts
that 800 hp turbo is not going to be necessary at all.

450whp is the normal amount "pushing it" on the vvti rods, and that is with pump gas.
on E85 you will generate much more torque, so yeah, you mat not even make it to the numbers posted above.
the torque is what breaks them so you would be better off on pump gas.

swap in a non vvti block or change the rods and pistons.

·
Registered
231 Posts
that 800 hp turbo is not going to be necessary at all.

450whp is the normal amount "pushing it" on the vvti rods, and that is with pump gas.
on E85 you will generate much more torque, so yeah, you mat not even make it to the numbers posted above.
the torque is what breaks them so you would be better off on pump gas.

swap in a non vvti block or change the rods and pistons.
AliSC3 is correct, the most any of the IS300 guys are pushing on the stock rods is 440-450 whp. This also requires at the very minimum a thicker headgasket and ARP head studs.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Like everyone else is saying, the torque will kill the rods. High compression + E85 will produce a lot of torque which is asking for some bending action.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It took somewhat longer to get the car finished and transported to my place. But..
We ended up with 546WHP and 609WNm (449ft-lb) at 1.2-1.3bar (17-19psi). Tuned on my Dynapack hub dyno (2013).
So far so good. Although for the track use we consider staying at 1.0-1.1bar.
VVTi kicks ass, gained 400rpm earlier spool and lots of torque down low. No difference above 5000rpm though.

Quick specs:
Stock unopened 2JZ-GE VVTi (2003)
Holset HX52 67mm billet comp., 70mm turbine, 16cm2 T4 twin-scroll
Custom twin-scroll exhaust manifold
Custom intake manifold
VAG TFSI active ignition coils
Tilton twin disc
Custom flywheel
BMW 5 speed transmission with adapter plate
VEMS v3.7 ECU, custom engine wiring harness
2x044
E85

Dyno sheet - http://i.imgur.com/ZcnHAmn.png

VVTi on/off - http://i.imgur.com/7xoKTIx.png

Quick vid - http://youtu.be/2yeer_g_gDk

·
Registered
983 Posts
Those are good results hopefully it will hold together for a while. I would start to worry doing back to back runs when the heat starts to get up there but it sounds like its working well.
do you have some more info on the bmw 5 speed trans and adapter plate? I have been looking into that swap and wondering if the input shaft is long enough to work with an adapter, or is something special needed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Those are good results hopefully it will hold together for a while. I would start to worry doing back to back runs when the heat starts to get up there but it sounds like its working well.
do you have some more info on the bmw 5 speed trans and adapter plate? I have been looking into that swap and wondering if the input shaft is long enough to work with an adapter, or is something special needed.
https://www.facebook.com/abcclutch/photos/a.249319288527915.57917.194763543983490/249320591861118/?type=3&theater
The flywheel has special offset for "shorter" input shaft.

·
Registered
983 Posts
nice, so you went with the abc clutch kit with the double/triple disk? how do you like it, and would you recommend it?

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Can you show the cam advance table you used? My findings with a n/a motor and BC 264s was greatest airflow at about 42° crank advance (21° cam advance) at 1500rpm and dropping linearly to zero by 5600rpm.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can you show the cam advance table you used? My findings with a n/a motor and BC 264s was greatest airflow at about 42° crank advance (21° cam advance) at 1500rpm and dropping linearly to zero by 5600rpm.
Hi, pretty much the same: 1500-2000rpm-37deg to 5000rpm-0deg.

·
Registered
983 Posts
is that a GE rod? is yours still holding together?

·
Banned
618 Posts
I'm seriously surprised your rods were still intact at those power levels. Now, had they been GE non-VVTi, GTE, or GTE VVTi rods...well, thats a diff story.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It took somewhat longer to get the car finished and transported to my place. But..
We ended up with 546WHP and 609WNm (449ft-lb) at 1.2-1.3bar (17-19psi). Tuned on my Dynapack hub dyno (2013).
So far so good. Although for the track use we consider staying at 1.0-1.1bar.
VVTi kicks ass, gained 400rpm earlier spool and lots of torque down low. No difference above 5000rpm though.

Quick specs:
Stock unopened 2JZ-GE VVTi (2003)
Holset HX52 67mm billet comp., 70mm turbine, 16cm2 T4 twin-scroll
Custom twin-scroll exhaust manifold
Custom intake manifold
VAG TFSI active ignition coils
Tilton twin disc
Custom flywheel
BMW 5 speed transmission with adapter plate
VEMS v3.7 ECU, custom engine wiring harness
2x044
E85

Dyno sheet -
VVTi on/off -
Quick vid -
Has the engine held up with this much hp and torque? I am looking to make about 400-450 whp

·
Registered
1993 Supra NA-T
40 Posts
Has the engine held up with this much hp and torque? I am looking to make about 400-450 whp
My friend, this thread is quite a few years old. I can almost guarantee you they did not. Stick with 300 wheel on your VVT-i or swap in a shortblock/rods out of a non-vvt motor.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I was also kind of hoping he would come back and tell us what happened, cause I can maybe see making those numbers a few times on a dyno (especially a hub dyno)... but I can't see it holding up to repeated real world use.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts