Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I did a search and I got different information from different threads.

So just a couple of questions?

I can get my hands on a JZA70 Diff, I emailed the guy and confirmed that it is a Torsen diff.
I'm currently running an N/A 4.3 LSD.

What exactly would be involved in changing the diffs?
I've read that you can just change the centre and reuse the casing.
Bishop92T said:
Yup, and it's just the internals, you have to reuse your stock housing.
but elsewhere
drjonez said:
use the clutch pack diff and send me the torsen! ;)

what about swapping ring gears? i was under the impression that you couldn't use the torsen w/o the whole subframe as it mounted differently. either way, if you want to sell the torsen, LMK.
As much info on swapping the diffs as possible would be appreciated.

Oh and one more thing. I've found (with expirience) that people will say anything to sell a product, So how would I be able to tell if the diff is a torsen or not? here is thread that has a pic of torsen and non torsen, but which is which, and why?
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71495&highlight=torsen+diff

Thank.....Sam

·
Boost Dealer
981 Posts
The two diffs are directly interchangeable. I have both and have
swapped them out. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know
what they are talking about.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay I did some more searching, and I found answers to alot of my questions.
Just some clarification needed please.

Were all JZA70's torsen diff? or just particular models(R)?

Thanks...Sam

S

·
0 Posts
This is the torsen differential.

You see the gears inside that open area? That's why the torsen doesn't wear out.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jtamulis said:
The two diffs are directly interchangeable. I have both and have
swapped them out. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know
what they are talking about.
How were the 2 diffs different? I mean in the way they effect handling and takeoff etc.

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
my earlier quote was wrong. the whole pumpkin is identical, the diff units themselves are the same form factor.

www.torsen.com should help ya.....the torsen is a great road racing diff, not a drag racing diff. if you want to drag race or drift, get a spool or tight shimmed clutch pack. they'll provide more even power distribution.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
How 'bout this. What are the real-world observed benefits of swapping the original diff for this JZ torsen-type diff? With this torsen diff, it applies the most torque to the wheel with the best grip. Can you "even more basicly" inform the audience how this benefits RRace and not DRace?

·
SF in my veins... sigh
1,586 Posts
All the research I have come across says that the only downside to a Torsen when dragging is strength. The worm gears aren't big on being shock loaded if they aren't built for it, and as such there have been reports of guys blowing up the JZA70 Torsen diffs under extreme drag use. (I have no direct info on this... only second hand)

There are Torsen diffs built strong enough to handle this type of application, but from what I gather the stock JZA70 one isn't one of them (when you get into the upper power ranges). I put mine in for road racing... where the Torsen shines over anything else. I am sure the stock Torsen will handle what most people here will throw at it... but if you're going to drag all the time with slicks and big torque... you might melt one down.

This is only what I have gathered in a lot of discussing / researching this topic.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info guys.

So does anyone have any first hand expirience with both Diffs?

·