Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Including machine and tuning work, turbo supra owners feel free to chime in but hopefully i could get a good estimate of the boat loads of cash everyone says it takes to build a decent na 7mge or 2jzge

·
Exiled Supra Owner
3,703 Posts
For a 2JZ-GE (NOT A TURBO BUILD): About $3,500 worth of parts, engine accessories (i.e. alternator, starter, spark plugs, distributor cap, belts, timing belt , new oli pump, motor mounts, balancer, new head bolts, and things you know is going to wear out and you don't want to evar touch again), engine gasket rebuild kit. About $1,500 to machine the block and valve job for the head. This price was at 2006, you figure that inflation has hit by then.............. Don't foget the Toyota Service Manual, that's another $500 at least.

If you want to throw in an AEM v2 and the necessary sensors (MAP and fuel sensor) and fuel pump, expect another $2,000, tunning will add another $500 to $750. Those numbers were back in 2013.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sound about right as for this 7mge motor i estimated 3000 just to replace clutch, hose kit, radiator, flywheel surfaced, arp studs, air filter as someone stole my [email protected] one , spark plugs etc. And some things you mentioned as well.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Flz_Boy how much cash have you invested into your motor and what motor in specific thus far and what is hp estimate

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im more interested in personal builds and cash spent into your own car we all know prices can reach 6 figures but what im interested in , are the common guys build and to what extent did they say enough money was used properly

·
Exiled Supra Owner
3,703 Posts
Flz_Boy how much cash have you invested into your motor and what motor in specific thus far and what is hp estimate
My build was primarily for sanctioned racing. However, my engine and drivetrain was 99.9% stock (ARP Headstuds).

Stock GE Motor rebuild: $5,000 (The head, valves, and block were outsourced to be cleaned and machined)
AEM V2 with Sensors and Fuel Pump: $2,000 (it was FSR Motorsorts first NA's to run on E85, so there is a discount on the tuning). The computer system amd fuel pump was defintely not stock, but the wiring harness was modified to allow me to connect back to the stock ECU.

On 95 octane (race gas mixed), it would put down about 196 RWHP. I'm sure if I did a 100 octane tune, it would see somewhere in the low 200's. I left it not too agressive, since I mixed 91 and 100 octane gas driving to and from the track (and Sunday driving).

On the stock ECU I only can recall about 181 to 185 RWHP. My memory is getting bad, I sold my Supra a few years ago. The biggest diference was the change in the RPM band, when a stock ECU NA is bellow 4,000 RPMs it's a real dog. With the AEM V2 the NA was much more lively (it translated about a good 2 seconds on a 1:00 lap time).

I'm sure with inflation, the costs are a bit higher. The E85 signature Youtube link gives you an inside look of how my Supra was laid out (briefly).

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Ive got $50,000 into mine .....

·
Registered
122 Posts
I built my car from the ground up and I did all the labor (free)... My '94 MK4 TT 6-Speed was bone stock when I got it in 1999. I have invested roughly $25K. Mostly because I buy the best parts I can and not use Chinese Knock-offs or homemade parts (unless they are professionally well made parts)... The short list, Built motor(stock crank), Single turbo(PTE6870), Standalone(ProEFI 128), Hypertune Intake, HKS Exhaust and Header, ETS IC, PHR's Oil Cooler and Relocation, Tein Coilovers, TRD swaybars, and etc.(Nickel and Dime stuff)...

·
Pumps 1 and 2, hit 'em!
971 Posts
5600 over 6 years. 4900 was in the first 6mo right after purchase getting it setup the way I wanted it with fresh clutch, new wg, recirc, hard pipes, all fluids and tuned.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
476 Posts
0 for the past 2 years... lol but prior since 02 ive spent close to 60k lost that motivation to work on it when i went to total up how much i spent in 1 year (22k )and so as family is priority for me now.

·
Registered
146 Posts
i dont keep track, but its probably a 6 figure number including the price of the car now

·
Registered
164 Posts
My build was primarily for sanctioned racing. However, my engine and drivetrain was 99.9% stock (ARP Headstuds).

Stock GE Motor rebuild: $5,000 (The head, valves, and block were outsourced to be cleaned and machined)
AEM V2 with Sensors and Fuel Pump: $2,000 (it was FSR Motorsorts first NA's to run on E85, so there is a discount on the tuning). The computer system amd fuel pump was defintely not stock, but the wiring harness was modified to allow me to connect back to the stock ECU.

On 95 octane (race gas mixed), it would put down about 196 RWHP. I'm sure if I did a 100 octane tune, it would see somewhere in the low 200's. I left it not too agressive, since I mixed 91 and 100 octane gas driving to and from the track (and Sunday driving).

On the stock ECU I only can recall about 181 to 185 RWHP. My memory is getting bad, I sold my Supra a few years ago. The biggest diference was the change in the RPM band, when a stock ECU NA is bellow 4,000 RPMs it's a real dog. With the AEM V2 the NA was much more lively (it translated about a good 2 seconds on a 1:00 lap time).

I'm sure with inflation, the costs are a bit higher. The E85 signature Youtube link gives you an inside look of how my Supra was laid out (briefly).
Great input on the AEM V2.
I was thinking of getting one as well for my Supra back in the day.
However I decided on a Mine's VX Rom ECU (jspec cars only I think)

As for the topic of this thread... there comes a point within a project where you stop counting.... :)
Here's a few specs and pics of my Supra (NA build): http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1030153-Herb-s-Supra-JCR-X&highlight=

Regards, Herb

1 - 20 of 37 Posts