Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going with Total seal gapelss piston rings on JE pistons overbore 0.020. Has anyone had any experience or thoughts on these on the 2JZGTE? I'm not currently happy with the rings gap on my current rings. I've searched and all topics on gapless rings come up on 7M engines and MKIII section of the forums searching "gapless rings"

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

·
feeding your habit
4,015 Posts
what don't you like about your current ring gap, and what is the gap?

Also, I'm not familiar with the total seal rings, can you give us all a little idea of what they are?

-M

·
Registered
558 Posts
I've run them...keep in mind, they aren't really a gapless ring per se...the oil control and one set of the upper compression rings are standard and the other compression ring simply overlaps on the ends...I guess you could call them gapless...

Dave

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
turbodg said:
I've run them...keep in mind, they aren't really a gapless ring per se...the oil control and one set of the upper rings are standard and the third ring simply overlaps...I guess you could call them gapless, but it's a bit misleading....

Dave
They, I have seen them in person. The ends clip to each other. I am only getting the set where the top ring is gapless. The rest of the set is not. Any issues with them on your car?

·
Registered
558 Posts
No, I had no problems with them what so ever...

I've run standard type rings though too and have had equally good performance...though the manufacture claims better leak down numbers...Though keep in mind, at speed, leak down can be misleading as the engine cycles faster...

Dave

·
Super Moderator
10,496 Posts
I used them in my old built shortblock (JE .040 overbore) which I sold when I went stroker. Never had any problems whatsoever. The shortblock is in the Clash of the Titans II car and is still going strong. Again, no issues whatsoever for me or for the new owner.

Ken.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
KenHenderson said:
I used them in my old built shortblock (JE .040 overbore) which I sold when I went stroker. Never had any problems whatsoever. The shortblock is in the Clash of the Titans II car and is still going strong. Again, no issues whatsoever for me or for the new owner.

Ken.
Sweet! A blessing from Mr. Henderson.

·
Super Moderator
10,496 Posts
^^^Just make sure your engine builder knows you plan on using these rings and hones the bores accordingly. If the honing is not matched up properly to type and material, you increase the chances of your rings not seating properly, something you most definitely want to avoid.

Ken.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
KenHenderson said:
^^^Just make sure your engine builder knows you plan on using these rings and hones the bores accordingly. If the honing is not matched up properly to type and material, you increase the chances of your rings not seating properly, something you most definitely want to avoid.

Ken.
Very good advise. You will want to get exact spec's to your machinist. These rings will not seal if not honed properly. I know from experience :rant2:

Lawrence

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
93 twintrbo said:
Very good advise. You will want to get exact spec's to your machinist. These rings will not seal if not honed properly. I know from experience :rant2:

Lawrence

Yes! My machinist is very expereinced with TopSeal gapless rings using them on plenty of other engines beisdes the 2JZ. His honing machine and technique doesn't consist of a cordless dril. :) He understands that the honign grit and process is a lot finer than the standard.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts