Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
7m > 2jz > 1jz
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im in the process of fully building my motor and ive heard some pretty good things about these total seal piston rings, but then ive from 2 people so far that they are no good in the 7m motors.
my buddy christian (who's done countless 7m builds and research) and i read up on jbl web site when he wanted to go with them and didnt.
i'd like some in put on these rings and why i shouldnt go with them on the 7m (please some good helpful, knowledgable info please).

thanks
-sean

p.s
i did some searching and didnt find anything, could be searching under the wrong names though, who knows.
but please help.

·
OCC
897 Posts
I'm not sure if the 7M has oil jets like the 2jzgte, but if it has squirters, do not use the gapless rings. I've seen gte's with gapless rings and they consumed oil like crazy. Get the traditional gapped rings but in the 'severe duty' materials offered by Total Seal. So far, mine's been flawless, both in oil consumption and leakdown numbers.

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
as stated above total seal rings arent deisnged for use with oil squirters, and while on domestics i have heard good things their rep with the 7m is not good. This may be due to poor builds but I chose to use toyota rings, cant go wrong with the best.

~scott

·
Premium Member
6,130 Posts
It comes down to these rings not sealing correctly and that they require a different type of cross hatching in the bores (a different degree) for them to seal properly... aight peace :chicken:

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I got custom made ones for my 1JZ and they were the traditional style rings, and my baby purr's. It runs perfect, those guys know what they're doing.

·
7m > 2jz > 1jz
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok i forgot to mention, i have a jdm 7mgte and its a late 86 motor so i dont have oil squirters, so what now??
-sean

·
Registered
95 Posts
go for it! but get the std tension oil rings.They are availbe in std or low tension oil ring for the domestic market.I don't think the motors with squirters can handle the extra oil from the squirters on the cyl. walls. (low tension is for less cyl. wall drag ,less friction but not as good oil contol).

·
Rock'n Death with Spikes!
155 Posts
I've been running Total Seal rings(on JE's) since '97. It's in the prep work to make these work. Use a 220-280 grit finish (JHU 500 stone) and WD40, NO OIL! The oil squirters squirt on the UNDERSIDE of the piston...why would this be a problem of sealling? I have had no problems with them...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts