Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone try putting Toulene/Xylene in their car instead of buying 104 octane unleaded race gas? I've heard about this from Turbo Buick guys. Any idea?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Monster,
Thanks a lot man that's pretty much asnwer all my questions...Do you know how many gallons of Toulene do I need to make a full tank of let say 100 octane on a Supra? Hmn...let's say the formula on that website said 30% of Toulene + 92 Octane will make a 98 octane gas so if I had 10 gallons of 92 octane put in 3 gallons of Toulene that will make it 13 gallons of 98 octane? Or just 10 gallons of 98 octane? I'm getting confused...

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure bro, I've never done it. That page explains it very well, i guess. I bookmarked it a while ago, there was a huge thread here about it......search for it, has all the answers. Post your findings.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
C5eater said:
BTW any down side?
The downside is that 5 gallon gas jugs usually spill a ittle bit when you begin pouring, and you do NOT want Toulene/Xylene getting on your paint. There is no other known downside except that sometimes Xylene/Toulene are not so cheap.

BTW, 5 gallons Toulene + 10 gallons 93 octane pump gas = Full tank of 100 octane.

·
BPU is so 1997
5,349 Posts
I've also done the Xylene mixture on my Supra. I only bought 4 gallons though. It was mixed with 3/4 tank if 93 octane.

I also used 1.5 quarts of Marvel's Mystery oil for lubrication.

Worked great, only thing I notice is that it's harder for the car to start due the the higher octane.

·
BPU is so 1997
5,349 Posts
AZMongoose said:
Posted by Badmuthrfkr: Its harder to start becuse your pouring crap in your tank thats not supposed to be in there...:)
No, high octane gas is harder to ignite. ;)

·
SupraForums Member
434 Posts
Higher octane is harder to light up. Need higher temps to light it off, hence the reason for it not preigniting. Maybe your gap is pretty low, thats maybe the reason for harder starting.

·
Administrator
4,970 Posts
When the F1 cars used to use Toluene back when they ran 40psi of boost, the diluted it down some 0 octane stuff because they were limited to 100 octane, but they also routed the hot air that had passed through the radiator over the gas tanks to heat up the toluene to help in atomiztion. If you put striaght toluene with a little bit of lubicant in your car, it likely wouldn't start when cold because it wouldn't atomize and burn. 30% is probably as high as you want to go.

·
BPU is so 1997
5,349 Posts
Mighty Mouse said:
Higher octane is harder to light up. Need higher temps to light it off, hence the reason for it not preigniting. Maybe your gap is pretty low, thats maybe the reason for harder starting.
I'm still on stock plugs with 50k on them. BPU prolly got them pretty black too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts