Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres one for ya'll. What do you think the towing capacity is for the supra? I know that the rating numbers assigned to trucks have much more to do with the vehicles ability to brake and slow the load down, more than actualy being able to move it.

The nissan titan is rated at 9500 lbs towing, but I'm throwing down more at the wheels than it does at the crank. Plus I have the 4.3 gears out back. Is it crazy to think I can pull that much?

Kinda thinking about entering some tractor pulls if anyone was wondering. Not realy.

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
10,095 Posts
I've towed a 71 beetle with my supra.... and a log splitter too...

I don't do this everyday... but it can do it.

3,796 Posts
The supe is a god damn tank...Im sure it can handle whatever you throw at it (within reason of course):D

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
The limiting factor is the frame (attachment points for a towing receiver) and suspension sag in the rear. The MKIII brakes are probably better than what's used on my Toyota pickup with a 5,000 pound tow rating and the power is definately better, but the chassis likely won't handle more than 1500-2000 pounds.

L

·
0 Posts
I've seen guys towing paint matched ski boats with their Sups!
When I bought my 88T, the original owner(a guy in his 50's) had a tow sleeve welded in that was rated at 4000lbs. capacity. I was told he used to tow his 14ft. aluminum boat to go fishing locally.

I want to remove it but now I'm shopping for a small aluminum fishing boat as well? I'm thinking of installing a lower bumper extention and cutting the small square whole for the tow bar insert and covering it with a toyota tow bar cover. It will completely hide the towing gear and the bar cover makes it look like an added badge! LOL!

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
I used to pull a trailer all the time with my 86 MKII ;) It was a light tent trailer, so I don't know what it weighed....

(Post not relavent to topic in thread :p)

·
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SupraGuy88T said:
Nuff said :D

Actualy thats exactly the thing I wanted to see. I need to tow the MR2 cross country along with some misc crap inside of it when I get out of the military. Seein as how you have a whole MA70 on there, I don't think my Supra will even flinch at towing the AW11.

·
DFWSupras
1,627 Posts
Anyone need MA70/JZA70 trailer hitch I got one. along with the trailer light harness. It bolts up to 4 factory threaded holes on the rear bumper.

·
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Anyone need MA70/JZA70 trailer hitch I got one. along with the trailer light harness. It bolts up to 4 factory threaded holes on the rear bumper.
Any pics?

I bought like a tow kit that was supposedly for the mk3, but i couldnt figure it out and the instructions sucked.

·
DFWSupras
1,627 Posts
I'll try to get some I don't have the hitch with me. But the hitch was on a car so I know it fits and I have checked several MK3s and they all including mine have the 4 mounting bolts (bolts are included with the hitch)

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I wonder what the EGTs would look like pulling a grade with 4500 pounds of MKIII & trailer in tow.

·
LAG?? Learn to drive...
1,941 Posts
i have towed a dual jetski trailer many times. pulled it in and out of steep grades and had a few sudden braking tests. the car itself can tow just about anything. has enough power is low and wide has big brakes but the damn towing brace bolts up to the rear bumper support. this is simply a 16-18Ga steel box. i have personally bent it in slightly just from weight bumps of the two skis in tow. if you tried to tow anything too heavy it can push the car into a fishtail or not push the car into possible danger. even with tires locked. there is also a possibility of buckling the bumper support. it would take alot to do so, but it is possible. i wouldnt tow anything over 2,000lbs MAX. anything over that and you get into problems without perfect conditions.

can you imagine seeing a lowered Mk3 supra on nice rims towing 2 jetskis on a dual trailer cruising into and through Lake of the Ozarks on the 4th? I get sooo many thumbs up. its like being in a parade.lol

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,237 Posts
I although though supras where based on a frame?

No?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts