Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the G-force KD s are the best on a road course. I drive my car everyday and do some racing on the side. Has anybody else used the toyo's and if so what are your opinions? I only have the rear ones and like them so far. I am trying to wear out my fronts so I can get them replaced as well. I am looking for a good combination of handling and duration.

Jeff

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have the Toyo T1-S all around. I have 285/35/18 on the back, and 245/40/18 in the front.

I am new to road courses, but I just did two recently. I am still novice so I had instructors with me for the first few laps.

I was totally amazed by these tires !! But I wasn't sure if I should be amazed because I haven't had much experience with any other tires. I strapped on the Toyo T1S pretty much right away after I bought the SupraTT. But I did know that it was like nothing I ever felt before.

Before buying the tires, I did a lot of research on different forums, etc. to see what people thought of these tires. I was thinking about getting Yoko AVS Sport tires, but these were cheaper and are supposed to last longer. I received so many good testimonials about the Toyo T1-S that I bought them right away (one of the testimonials was from a Supra owner saying that they saved his life at one point!). And I have to admit that there has been a few instances where these tires have already saved my life (ask me if you want examples).

I have had the tires on for about 6 months now and they are amazing ! I've done road courses and dragged on them. And for everyday driving they are very comfortable (but a little noisy). Anyone that I have taken for a ride has always commented on the tires. In fact, one of the instructors I had was wondering how good the Toyo T1S were because he had experience with the Toyo T1 tires. After running the laps, he said he's definetely getting Toyo T1S for himself. Another isntructor told him that he had already ordered the Toyo T1S for his M Roadster.

When I first bought my Supra, I would take other Supra owners out for rides to make sure that nothing was wrong with my car. I figured they should know how it should sound, feel, etc. Amazingly enough they said it was pulling much better than a stock Supra (I was stock at that time), but we couldn't figure out why. Our best guess was that these tires were holding so damn well that the car would launch perfectly and stop on a dime.

Also, if it matters, the tires look awesome ! The tread pattern makes the whole car look meaner. Sorry to make this so long but I just love these tires and I recommend them to everyone.

Here are some pictures of the tires on my SupraTT . . .

Ash
'93 SUPRA TT - Almost BPU

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have to admit I like mine also. I just wish I had them on front also. I have Pilot' s up front right now. As far as I can tell these are holding as well or better than the SO2 polepositions or the Pilot Sports I had in rear or the crappy OEM Bridgestones the car came with. I am glad to hear someone else likes them. My only complaint was that they did not have 275-40-17 only the 265's. with the 265's on back what size fronts should I get? I still have my stock wheels..
Andi, You seem to love your KD's but have you ever tried these? I guess it wouldnt make too much sense for you since yours is not a daily driver..:rolleyes:

Has anybody else used these and if so what did you think?
Jeff

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
I haven't tried the Toyo T1S. I've tried quite a few other tires and here are my opinions on them:

Fulda Extremos: Suck
AVS Intermediates: No squeal, but no grip. Don't last long.
AVS Sports: Some Squeal. Awesome grip when brand new. Less grip as they wear. Stiff Sideall for good handling.
S-02 Pole Position: Awesome tire. Great handling, great grip wet or dry. Best all around tire I've ever had.
Pilot Sports: A good touring tire but not good for a sports car. Soft sidewalls, smooth and quiet ride. Decent grip on the street, but they get greasy REAL quick on the road course.
g-Force TA KD's: Best dry-grip street tire, bar none. Loud, hard-riding. Suck in the rain. I love 'em.

Now, NONE of the above tires are an "ideal" road race tire. But the closest one of the above is the g-Force, because it's a great tire for mixed street driving and road cousre driving.

I'm confused by your comment of my car not being a daily driver. It's my only car, and I've put 30K miles on it since I bought it in December of 1999. I work at home, so naturally I don't drive it to "work" every day. But I do a lot of driving in it and I drive it rain or shine. In fact more often than not if it's raining I go for a drive because I love sliding the rear end and practicing my car control w/o wrrying about wearing the tires (TRAC computer is at home).

Andi

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Funny you should mention the Extremos, I have those on my stock rims. My previous tires were down to the cord and that was all Tire Kingdom had in 17" at the time. The word 'suck' doesn't begin to describe how bad they are...

With your Toyos, what RPM can you launch at? I have a clutch that makes launching difficult, as it is very hard to slip. So I just dump the clutch. With 315/35/17 BFG KDs I must dump it at 4700 rpm or I bog BAD. With all the other tires I've had, it was closer to 3000 rpm, thats a big difference. Also the KDs don't hop at all as long as you keep the tire pressure up. Their rain traction is less than optimal, but nothing dangerous (and my Trac computer has been sitting in my closet for about 1.5 year now).

As much as I love the KDs I think my next set of tires will be Khumo Supras for the street and Victoracers for the track, the KDs are just too expensive to wear out in everyday driving.

Oh, and with the KDs I have traction in 1st gear. My car dynoed 436 ft-lbs of torque with a boost leak and no IC cooling, so its probably more than that in reality.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I must have read somewhere you worked from home and somehow came up with the not a daily driver, my fault. I also have put 30 K on my car and drive it to work everyday. I had the SO2 pole positions and they wore out very fast on the inside edges of my rears. Just like the Pilot Sorts. The Pilots were very greasy on a autox. My fronts are not even the pilot sports they are just pilots and they suck bad....probably where I am getting a lot of my understeer from. For me so far the Toyo's are my favorite. I just wish I had all 4 on. I also like to drive in the rain. As far as when do I launch it I have never been to the drag strip but I will this fall. Our strip is only 1/8 mile and I havent been in a huge hurry to run there. On the street I usually launch at 3-3500 RPM's anything less than 2500 and I bog bad. I have a RPS Turbo Clutch and it has worked very well at BPU+ for 2 years now.:rolleyes: On stock rims what is the largest front tire I should go with? I have 265-40-17 on rear. can I go with 255-45-17 in front?

Jeff

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
By the way the Toyo T1S were 1/2 the cost of the So2 or the Pilot sports!!!!:eek: They look awesome and even if I only get 8k out of them I can get 2 sets for the same price of the other tires and I only got @ 8k out of each of those as well..These curvy mountain roads are hell on rubber when you like to get on it all the time:cool:
Jeff

·
Supra OG
2,392 Posts
I have the T1S too and I really like them. Good dry and wet grip. After 5000 miles they seem to be wearing pretty good. All in all, nice tires at a cost that is a step down from the top of the lines.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Exeler8,
What is your opinion compared to the "top of the line ones?" As far as I can tell I like them just as much and for the price even if they do not last any longer ,...well who cares I can get 2 sets for the price of one SO2 or Pilot Sport:p
Jeff

·
Supra OG
2,392 Posts
Actually, the only other tires I've tried so far are Nitto 555 extremes which are light years behind (obviously). The T1Ss grip on the corners like newly sharpened iced skates. I did however look at a couple different independent reviews of the T1S versus the other top of the lines and they were pretty close on overall rating. I only wish they came in 275x17s. I believe that Porsche has used T1S as the stock tire on some of their cars.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Andi I will probably tty the 245 up front with the T1s when I need new fronts.

Jeff

S

·
0 Posts
I bought my Toyo T1S to replace my pathetic Dunlop SP5000 that were on the car. I have REALLY been impressed with this tire. It sticks like mad, corners very well, and even has very good rain traction. I haven't hydroplaned since I put these tires on, and feel much more solid when driving in heavy rain.

I have also raced 2 AutoXs and a Road course with them, and they performed excellent. They aren't lasting very long though, but for this nice of a tire... it's worth it!!! I figure on getting 8K to 9K miles from them, but that will include 6-7 races. :)

I would highly recommend these tires, but I would also like to try the Kumho Supra sometime.

I also would NOT recommend the SP5000, very low grip in corners and from a 3500 rpm launch would spin wildly. I now have to launch at 4300 to get any slippage. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts