Supra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i finally got my new toyota pads in the mail and being the person i am i didn't cheap out on anything. i also got the shim kit and the anti-squeal kit. looks top-notch. anyway where does this black grease go that came with the shim kit. i looked in the tsrm and didn't find anything

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
Yup, it goes between the back of the pad and the shim, prevents vibration.

Toyota brake kits are very good. :)

·
HKS T51R
2,732 Posts
yea, its just like that red, you just put it on the back of the pads, keeps the pads nice and quiet. sometimes i find it hard to get it on without it all scraping off when you put the pad in the caliper, never done brakes on a supra before but i notice on some cars ive had that problem

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
toyota_supra_1988 said:
yea, its just like that red, you just put it on the back of the pads, keeps the pads nice and quiet. sometimes i find it hard to get it on without it all scraping off when you put the pad in the caliper, never done brakes on a supra before but i notice on some cars ive had that problem
Well, since the stuff goes between the pad and the shim, it's not really an issue, and if you've compressed the piston far enough, it shouldn't be an issue at all, the caliper will just drop down.

·
HKS T51R
2,732 Posts
yeah, might have been because i didnt have the piston compressed far enough. lol didnt have the special tool to do it so i had to use a pair of needle noise pliars lol.

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
That won't work very well at all. C-clamp is what should be used.

·
HKS T51R
2,732 Posts
ya ive heard about using c-clamps too, never tried that next time i will. i also bought one of those brake piston compressor tools that attaches onto a 3/8 rathcet

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
Toyota says to use a hammer handle or equivalent for the Supra, for my Corolla, the TSRM says to use C-clamps. I usually use whatever the manual says to. :)

·
HKS T51R
2,732 Posts
ooo, well, ive never done the brakes on supras before, hopefully its not to much differant than a maxima. lol im just glad supras dont have drums..i hate doing drums lol

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
toyota_supra_1988 said:
ooo, well, ive never done the brakes on supras before, hopefully its not to much differant than a maxima. lol im just glad supras dont have drums..i hate doing drums lol
Agreed! LOL (Except it's not quite true, since the Supra does have drums in the back for the e-brake).

I'm getting rid of my Tercel this weekend, then all I'll have left with drums is my 94 Ranger 4x4. I wanted to convert to discs, but couldn't find a good 95+ Explorer rear end to put in back when I was changing it out so I got a 93 Explorer rear end. (Went from 8.8" 28-spline 3.27:1 open diff to 8.8" 31-spline 3.73:1 LSD. :D), still has drums though :(, they are bigger than stock though.

·
HKS T51R
2,732 Posts
lol, awesome, how hard was the conversion? Ive dont drums on my dads old 91 mazda B2600i. they have surprisingly big drums for a pretty light truck. Do you go offroading in your ranger?

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
Umm, as far as the conversion goes, I had to cut off the old spring and shock mounts and put new ones on in different places, that was about the extent of it. The Explorer has the leaf spring under axle, Ranger has it overaxle.

I do go off-roading in the Ranger, nothing very extreme yet, but quite a bit more than most normal people do. Once the truck it setup better I'll be doing more.

·
DDDDUUUUUBBBBBZZZZZZZZ
2,022 Posts
i got my pads for 17.99 at AZ

·
vvti. what
831 Posts
suprafly1986 said:
i got my pads for 17.99 at AZ
im not too sure if they are any good. my uncle had em on his supra and after i did some hard braking it didnt smell too good....but my toyota ones on my car are pretty good even after hard braking...

·
DDDDUUUUUBBBBBZZZZZZZZ
2,022 Posts
lol i'm not saying they are good. They are loud, they dust, and work bad in hard driving at high temperatures. I'm sure the 'yota ones are good, I just avoid the dealer at all costs personally.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts