Supra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does Toyota Sell door skins for the doors if for say you have some dings in your door?? I can't stand dings and want straight door panels.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
They sell the door skins. I don't remember the part number. It's a little pricey for a piece of thin metal.

·
SF's Cleanest
7,177 Posts
ask curt aigner. www .eye-supra.com except replace "eye" with "i", it won't let you type it correctly on this site. damn haters

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
All doors can be skinned as long as the parts are still available, but I wouldn't do it for some dings.

Block the piss outta the door until you hit bare metal at the high-spots.......wipe the dings with bondo.......prime the door a couple of different times (about 4 coats ea time).......block the shit outta the primer until the door is flat as glass........prime one last time with a couple of coats just to cover bare metal........gently sand down with some 400 grit wet........proceed with painting :)
It's less butchering than skinning if the bodyman is good with blocking.

·
Team 10+ Year Member
3,508 Posts
The door skins part number for the MKIV is
67111-14230RH,67112-14240 LH
DOOR SKINS LIST 323.00 COST 227.00 EA
Thats from Curt by the way.
I need them too b/c of a odd dent on my driver door and a jealous person trying to break in on the passenger side.

·
ELITECUSTOMBODY
6,552 Posts
blkturbo! said:
All doors can be skinned as long as the parts are still available, but I wouldn't do it for some dings.

Block the piss outta the door until you hit bare metal at the high-spots.......wipe the dings with bondo.......prime the door a couple of different times (about 4 coats ea time).......block the shit outta the primer until the door is flat as glass........prime one last time with a couple of coats just to cover bare metal........gently sand down with some 400 grit wet........proceed with painting :)
It's less butchering than skinning if the bodyman is good with blocking.
i guess that's one way to fix dings,but i usually push out the dings from inside with PDR tools(paintless dent removal) ,that way there is no bondo or paint work and you still have factory paint.but you have to know what you're doing and have patience,cause it's easy to screw up

·
Premium Member
46,548 Posts
Yes, 227.00 ea skin + shipping.

Remember the door and skin needs to be removed, reinstalled and painted. Figure 1000.00 parts and labor by the time your done.

·
Team 10+ Year Member
3,508 Posts
Thanks for the estimate Curt b/c thats what I was really wondering about. I knew the cost of the parts, but the labor I was unsure about.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Dan94TT said:
Thanks for the estimate Curt b/c thats what I was really wondering about. I knew the cost of the parts, but the labor I was unsure about.

Basically the only time it's worth skinning is if the panel is screwed up beyond reasonable repair otherwise. If the cost of messaging and bondoing is excessive, THEN the insurance will write you a skin.
I personally dont think it's worth doing open-heart surgery just for a few dings, because now it has to be re-seam sealed (without looking all nasty) and the jambs have to be reshot (without looking nasty), hmmmmmm - who's doing your work????? <---- I'd consider that.
Anybody who's decent with bondo and blocking should have no problem making dings disappear. Even if it's 10 dings.....the door still isn't "destroyed".

exvelocity - yeah, I agree totally.....before I ever use bondo, I determine if the dent is shallow or deep. I definitely believe in pushing out deep ones and using less bondo in the long-run. I just get the impression he's only got dings (shallow dings?) :)
I'm all about messaging the panel and using as little bondo as possible (bondo thickness). I'll beat the shit out of a bad dent (from behind) before I'm ready to grab the bondo :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts