Supra Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
I registered, but have yet to receive anything. I'm hoping for body parts (trim, moldings, interior bits) more than anything. That's the stuff you just flat out can't get or replicate and what makes owning a mk3 and keeping it "nice" so difficult.

I'd also love to see the V160/161 parts come back.
This, so much this post right here. Personally I don't care about what stock parts keep a Supra running as a car, but rather the parts that make it a SUPRA. I understand and acknowledge there is a market for people who want to keep their car stock, that is well and good, yes. However, I need stuff that keeps my car looking nice, feeling nice, like Toyota built in the first place.

I hadn't even considered the gas tank until it was mentioned above. That would have been VERY nice to have about 4 years ago. Did my best to clean it out, and didn't feel like I could trust a coating to seal very well in that environment. Didn't want to use that nasty old tank to fuel a brand new engine that I had put so much into... so, I went the fuel cell route. Not easy, not fun, and it kinda took away a bit of what made the car nice in the process. Also, my car tends to smell of fuel now too, yay. Only positive to going this route is I can delete the gas door when I put the widebody fenders on, so it'll look a little bit cleaner.

Registered myself, let's hope they send me a survey.

·
Super Moderator
10,210 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts

that link is dead :

"You have either already completed the survey or your session has expired. "

if toyota actually had an interest in this, why are they not doing a press release / posting in the websites like this one ? yes I see they had an initial release earlier this year, but why no "were in phase 2 and need feedback" announcement etc

**edit

thought I should verify the above so I went on the google and facebook and searched toyota heritage parts program

with an exhaustive 30 second search, I can confirm, toyota is apparently spending $0 to promote / interface with actual owners on this "heritage parts program"

looking like fake news (Im still not convinced this is going to result in toyota parts coming off the line for our cars). maybe bmw picked up a contract to build the mk3 and mk4 heritage parts no ?

·
YotaMD.com author
702 Posts
that link is dead :

"You have either already completed the survey or your session has expired. "

if toyota actually had an interest in this, why are they not doing a press release / posting in the websites like this one ? yes I see they had an initial release earlier this year, but why no "were in phase 2 and need feedback" announcement etc

**edit

thought I should verify the above so I went on the google and facebook and searched toyota heritage parts program

with an exhaustive 30 second search, I can confirm, toyota is apparently spending $0 to promote / interface with actual owners on this "heritage parts program"

looking like fake news (Im still not convinced this is going to result in toyota parts coming off the line for our cars). maybe bmw picked up a contract to build the mk3 and mk4 heritage parts no ?
I completely understand their approach. They do NOT want mass input from random facebook and forum members. They want SELECT input from people they have high confidence actually own these cars and might actually purchase items. It's very easy for a few folks to tweak public polls or recruit members to overpower forms to get what they want. That's NOT what Toyota wants and is NOT valuable. Their apparent method of collecting this info makes me think they're taking it MORE seriously than if they were to promote it and do a public poll.

I'm excited to see it moving along.

They may have also chosen a few select items as examples based on their own internal financial analysis. Do they have the tooling? Do they have suppliers in their vertical chain that can handle production of said items? If they charge a profitable amount for the item will anyone actually buy it? How many need to be sold to overcome the setup and retooling costs?

I'm feeling good about it.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I see your point yotaMD.... but honestly I have had a supra registered and insured for the last 10 years. I owned one in the 90's as well. like I said earlier, they (toyota) have no problem finding me for govt. mandated recall notices. if they wanted my input it would not be hard to find me

the problem with select input is its just that. its (typically) not a cross section of the entire market (aka all owners with insured / registered cars).

it honestly should not be this hard for toyota. its fairly obvious what parts are going to fail due to age / deterioration and then cross reference that against what the aftermarket offers (virtually nothing in terms of rubber seals, oem trim and plastic)

or they could look at other popular 80's cars, like mustangs and camaro's and emulate what is going on there.

maybe I am being too pessimistic, but I don't understand why its difficult for the manufacture to assess demand in this situation.

well that and MK5 has left a very bitter taste in my mouth about toyota and its iconic sports car. its too much to watch the commercials "we brought the legend back baby" or whatever bs they are tag lining it (their bmw re-badged supra) with. I am not putting a lot of faith in their hpp plan for the actual toyota built supra's.

·
YotaMD.com author
702 Posts
I see your point yotaMD.... but honestly I have had a supra registered and insured for the last 10 years. I owned one in the 90's as well. like I said earlier, they (toyota) have no problem finding me for govt. mandated recall notices. if they wanted my input it would not be hard to find me

the problem with select input is its just that. its (typically) not a cross section of the entire market (aka all owners with insured / registered cars).

it honestly should not be this hard for toyota. its fairly obvious what parts are going to fail due to age / deterioration and then cross reference that against what the aftermarket offers (virtually nothing in terms of rubber seals, oem trim and plastic)

or they could look at other popular 80's cars, like mustangs and camaro's and emulate what is going on there.

maybe I am being too pessimistic, but I don't understand why its difficult for the manufacture to assess demand in this situation.

well that and MK5 has left a very bitter taste in my mouth about toyota and its iconic sports car. its too much to watch the commercials "we brought the legend back baby" or whatever bs they are tag lining it (their bmw re-badged supra) with. I am not putting a lot of faith in their hpp plan for the actual toyota built supra's.
Here's my perspective. I'm a small business owner that makes boutique parts for vehicles. I have first hand experience how horribly inaccurate generic public polls are when getting a feel for product demand. I can get wild variance on predicted demand and it rarely correlates to sales any better than a blind guess. People vote willy nillly on what looks cool FAR MORE than they vote as if they were actually placing cash on the table. That's the difference. Toyota doesn't want any Joe Schmoe's input just because they have a MK3 registered to their name. They want to know who's actually going to buy dealer-priced parts from Toyota. They don't want to hear from the crowd that always proclaims "Stealerships!" nor do they want to hear from the average owner of a 25-30 year old Toyota. They want to hear from people that buy Toyota parts from Toyota dealers or use Toyota service. That will correlate much better with actual future Toyota parts purchases. It's not perfect, but I'm sure it's a much better predictor than any other method they have available.

These parts will be relatively expensive, I'm sure. It's not about identifying what parts fail. It's about identifying what parts the right people care about.

This has to be a monumentally risky thing for a major automaker to undertake. Mercedes and Ferrari have heritage programs and make parts nearly forever.... they're also priced astronomically. For Toyota to bring back parts anywhere near normal prices must take a huge amount of consideration and some inevitable risk. They don't want that risk in the hands of Joe Schmoe's with a $1500 Supra that's been parked in the backyard for a decade.

·
Anime Dork
5,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
For those who didn't get the email, the bottom of the email says this:

If you have additional questions or comments, please call the Toyota Customer Experience Center at 1-800-331-4331 between 7:00 am and 7:00 pm CT, Monday through Friday or 7:00 am to 4:30 pm CT, Saturday.

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,384 Posts
Head gasket- 11115-42021 Still available
Head- 11101-42030
Crankshaft- 13411-42040
Fuel level sender- 83320-80051
Fuel tank- 77001-19426
Cup holder- 55604-14010 Cup holder hinge- 58907-14030 Cup holder hinge bolt(it's special)- 58969-14010 Console hinge stopper- 58967-14030
Console leather- Never seen just the leather cover, only a complete replacement. Several aftermarket options out there though.
New heads and crank would be great, as they both have been discontinued.

I haven't looked for availability, but I'm surprised people aren't talking about interior parts and weatherstripping. Are those readily available? Coming from someone who has dealt with a lot of classic cars, interior parts and weatherstripping are hardest to find. Mechanical realted things? Not so much, unless it's carb or engine rebuild kits.

·
Registered
715 Posts
New heads and crank would be great, as they both have been discontinued.

I haven't looked for availability, but I'm surprised people aren't talking about interior parts and weatherstripping. Are those readily available? Coming from someone who has dealt with a lot of classic cars, interior parts and weatherstripping are hardest to find. Mechanical realted things? Not so much, unless it's carb or engine rebuild kits.
I have a new head just sitting in storage, too afraid to use it because eventually the supply of non-annealed heads will dry up completely. I'd be totally SOL then. Fully counterbalanced 7M cranks? It took me almost a year to track a semi usable one down. Both would be highly desired by those of us that don't fit the stereotypical cheap MK3 owner.

Interior parts are almost completely gone with a few random tidbits here and there but nothing really useful. Interior panels are hard to compile a part number list for though, simply because there is a different part number for all 7(ish) colors and different part numbers for several different trim options like targa vs hardtop, 3 point seat belts vs 2 point seat belts, 6 speaker vs 4 speaker, etc.

Weather stripping is hit or miss and starting to go unavailable. Also another good item for the lists.

·
THE LAST NA
1,289 Posts
Don’t expect interior car parts....too many colors to deal with.

There are over 15000 Supra made in the USA in just the year 1989? This is a car people tend to hang on too and they break easil, should be tons of parts cars to choose from.

But even then its hard to find the right color.....

BTW i need a need 1 of everything in the interior, in maroon. Dash, glove box, seat trim, roof trim, trunk trim, running board plastic, .....lets just say if its maroon, i need it...cause it’s probable cracked....

·
Registered
481 Posts
Don’t expect interior car parts....too many colors to deal with.

There are over 15000 Supra made in the USA in just the year 1989? This is a car people tend to hang on too and they break easil, should be tons of parts cars to choose from.

But even then its hard to find the right color.....

BTW i need a need 1 of everything in the interior, in maroon. Dash, glove box, seat trim, roof trim, trunk trim, running board plastic, .....lets just say if its maroon, i need it...cause it’s probable cracked....
Generally what's done, and Toyota even does this with new cars occasionally it seems, is they mold the parts in the most common color and then the parts are painted with the correct color and the upholstery is applied in the correct color. Some of the original interior panels on my 87 are blue, but really are maroon plastic underneath. You can't tell the difference from the visible side. The interior paint they use looks exactly the same as the color molded plastic or vinyl.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts