Supra Forums banner

241 - 260 of 280 Posts

·
Administrator
8,997 Posts
Seriously they could do a run of 10000 sets of floor mats and I'm sure everyone on here would buy 2 to 3 sets.... cant imagine they would lose money.
It doesnt work that way man. The last time floor mats were reproduced it was initiated by Carson Toyota who had a contact at the subcontract company who made them for Toyota and got special permission to reproduce. Then carson teamed up with elmhurst, and mvpmotorsports. Each company purchased 1/3rd of the production cost which was $60 per set. Then it took several months to sell those sets at 90 dollars per set. Most people did not purchase multiple sets contrary to popular belief, some bought 2 or 3, some bought 10. But it's funny many people commit to things up until the point of actually paying, then suddenly things come up and people dont purchase. The mats are so desireable because they are sort of hard to get for a good price, once they get reproduced forsure they'll sell a couple hundred sets but the interest on them will die off due to abundance. Just like it did the last time. Granted the last time was 12 years ago, but there seem to always be several sets still forsale new at any time on forums or ebay.
Now all those contacts are gone, people retired that even know or still give a fuck about the supra. It's just over for parts, toyota has had many chances and incredible resources to remake these parts, but they arent using the same tooling and processes in their parts production nor are their sub vendors who made most of these parts. Its alot of logistics and capital expenditures to do something remotely worthwhile.

I hope I'm wrong, but I dont think I am.

·
Registered
9,705 Posts
they are not going to make shit, no one hold your breath. Door handles? Seriously...
Agreed.....and WHERE are those door handles made? $309 each AND only black....lol

·
Registered
657 Posts
Now all those contacts are gone, people retired that even know or still give a fuck about the supra. It's just over for parts, toyota has had many chances and incredible resources to remake these parts, but they arent using the same tooling and processes in their parts production nor are their sub vendors who made most of these parts. Its alot of logistics and capital expenditures to do something remotely worthwhile.
This. USA distro of Mugen for Honda tried to reissue some parts recently, and the quality was shit compared to original. The only reason to recreate the parts was because demand for the originals had pumped the prices so high in the used market that a limited run of parts was financially feasible.
Prices are high for the original parts because so few of them are available and there are hardcore collectors out there. When the parts are mass produced, it's shown that a lot of the audience who claims to want these things just don't have the money to buy them, even at half the price. The people paying top dollar won't touch them either.
Agreed.....and WHERE are those door handles made? $309 each AND only black....lol
Probably found a crate of them in a corner of a warehouse.

·
Registered
140 Posts
It doesnt work that way man. The last time floor mats were reproduced it was initiated by Carson Toyota who had a contact at the subcontract company who made them for Toyota and got special permission to reproduce. Then carson teamed up with elmhurst, and mvpmotorsports. Each company purchased 1/3rd of the production cost which was $60 per set. Then it took several months to sell those sets at 90 dollars per set. Most people did not purchase multiple sets contrary to popular belief, some bought 2 or 3, some bought 10. But it's funny many people commit to things up until the point of actually paying, then suddenly things come up and people dont purchase. The mats are so desireable because they are sort of hard to get for a good price, once they get reproduced forsure they'll sell a couple hundred sets but the interest on them will die off due to abundance. Just like it did the last time. Granted the last time was 12 years ago, but there seem to always be several sets still forsale new at any time on forums or ebay.

I hope I'm wrong, but I dont think I am.
yup I agree, although I think demand would be higher today than it was 12yrs ago. That might translate to a few hundred more units.
If people really want these, local tailors should be able to make custom identical sets. Sourcing the Supra logo on the mat would be the hardest part.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Out of everything people can ask for to be remade they ask for something like floor mats, instead of something that actually keeps the cars on the road like body panels if someone gets in accident or a mechanical part that gets worn down over time..

·
...pop the hood!
978 Posts
were glass headlights or 3 spoke steering wheels for mkiv ever available in north america?

·
iSPOOL
1,418 Posts
were glass headlights or 3 spoke steering wheels for mkiv ever available in north america?
I know all 1998 US Supras had the 3 spoke steering wheel. Glass headlights I'm unsure of.

Reactions: jdm-rhd

·
Registered
374 Posts
As the months go by I'm getting less optimistic about Toyota actually making anything beyond the headlights and handles. Not sure why they even bothered hyping us at this point, it did nothing for MKV pr.

Reactions: Dumeinao

·
Registered
22 Posts
Why was anyone even remotely optimistic about them actually making anything worth while in regards to heritage parts.

All they care about is money. This was strictly a ploy just to hype up the "supra" name because of the attention theyre trying to bring to the MKV. It has nothing to do with them caring about keeping the heritage of previous supras.

If they cared about heritage and legacy the MKV wouldn't be an abomination to the name.

I really wish the mk4 supra wasn't such a great car because at this point I wish I had an R33 GTR... atleast Nissan cares about their heritage.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Suspension components!!! I just filled out the form for all the control arms and ball joints.

·
...pop the hood!
978 Posts
Suspension components!!! I just filled out the form for all the control arms and ball joints.
i thought i read back a few pages that the polling was closed?

·
I Can Has EBT?
3,371 Posts
I do not think Toyota actually cares what we submit to them. If they did, pre face lift headlights and door handles would not have been the first things to come out. I bet they either had them in some warehouse, or had a deal to make super cheap. I am sure more people asked for dash components, door cards than pre 97 headlights.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #257
If there is another round of parts released, it will be very interesting to see what is selected.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I’m waiting for the re-release of the TRD body kit, though seems like it won’t happen and if it does it’ll probably limited or only for Japan as some speculate. May just gamble on the guy in Russia who makes the replicas

·
Administrator
8,997 Posts
I’m waiting for the re-release of the TRD body kit, though seems like it won’t happen and if it does it’ll probably limited or only for Japan as some speculate. May just gamble on the guy in Russia who makes the replicas
Don't wait. It will never happen.

·
Administrator
8,997 Posts
If there is another round of parts released, it will be very interesting to see what is selected.
Maybe they will release a hood ornament, or a radio knob, at this rate we may develop time travel before toyota spends a couple bucks pretending to care about motorsports enthusiasts.

241 - 260 of 280 Posts