Supra Forums banner

121 - 140 of 218 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Wow. That website is super annoying. Took me 3x to get an email for the account verification.
Now it's saying that my VIN is invalid. It's a Canadian LHD Supra... not a JDM.
I'm stumped. I think the survey will most likely be over now too?
Gonna call the dealer and see what's up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wow. That website is super annoying. Took me 3x to get an email for the account verification.
Now it's saying that my VIN is invalid. It's a Canadian LHD Supra... not a JDM.
I'm stumped. I think the survey will most likely be over now too?
Gonna call the dealer and see what's up.
Yeah, it says "Sorry, this survey is not currently active. "
I and few SupraClubFinland members managed to fill it before this without special links.
You just had to remove the unique email string from the url and it worked fine and it allowed everyone to fill it who had the link.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Perhaps I'm mistaken but it does not seem to me that this survey was active for very long at all and nor did it have enough time or word of mouth to gather enough (as we would expect) adequate data from MKIV VIN owners.

Hope some critical survey data and additional suggestions got through...

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Perhaps I'm mistaken but it does not seem to me that this survey was active for very long at all and nor did it have enough time or word of mouth to gather enough (as we would expect) adequate data from MKIV VIN owners.

Hope some critical survey data and additional suggestions got through...
I reached out to Toyota about this and they gave me their generic response.

"Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, USA., Inc. We only survey a random selection of Toyota owners for surveys."

We'll see what comes of it, but seeing how they still continue to discontinue parts nearly every week, I doubt it'll be much good.

·
From the land down under
4,040 Posts
I completely agree that this was handled extremely poorly, and given we live in the era of the internet, which includes car forums and social media, they really have no excuses for such a piss poor attempt to canvas info from people, but maybe that is their plan....cancel the program due to a lack of response?

I know that down here on the underside of the earth, where a lot of these cars reside, there wasnt a whisper of this heritage program, so I really have little hope in it turning into anything worthwhile (but happy to be proven wrong)

·
Anime Dork
5,306 Posts
At this point i feel that any hopes of a US heritage program will probably not be happening considering Toyota USA had an opportunity to announce something at SEMA this year. I firmly believe that the Japanese market will get there heritage program going since that was the only official word from Toyota. As mentioned parts are being discontinued all the time so its not looking good for any owners right now. probably it would be best to start ordering what you can now before it's all gone.

·
Registered
13 Posts
At this point i feel that any hopes of a US heritage program will probably not be happening considering Toyota USA had an opportunity to announce something at SEMA this year. I firmly believe that the Japanese market will get there heritage program going since that was the only official word from Toyota. As mentioned parts are being discontinued all the time so its not looking good for any owners right now. probably it would be best to start ordering what you can now before it's all gone.
Although I agree it is important to buy what you need now before items are discontinued and gone for good (a self serving comment for you - lol), I find it unlikely that Toyota Corporate would reach out to the general population without authorized plans to move forward with the program. Large organizations do not turn to customers just to say “hey were thinking about doing xyz. What do you think?” Instead, executive committees meet, authorize programs and make assignments to departments or divisions to execute their vision. By the time an initiative like the Heritage Program is disclosed, it has already been through the corporate ringer. From there, its is up to that division to make it successful (hence the survey of what we want). So I believe the heritage program will go live. The question is what will we get out of it. And it won’t be everything.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Although I agree it is important to buy what you need now before items are discontinued and gone for good (a self serving comment for you - lol), I find it unlikely that Toyota Corporate would reach out to the general population without authorized plans to move forward with the program. Large organizations do not turn to customers just to say “hey were thinking about doing xyz. What do you think?” Instead, executive committees meet, authorize programs and make assignments to departments or divisions to execute their vision. By the time an initiative like the Heritage Program is disclosed, it has already been through the corporate ringer. From there, its is up to that division to make it successful (hence the survey of what we want). So I believe the heritage program will go live. The question is what will we get out of it. And it won’t be everything.
I remain skeptical though, while its likely thats the case this seems like the MKV, mailed in. The moment I heard about the survey it appeared like a going throught the motions job to say "we sent a survey but we got insufficient reponse/interest" therefore the heritage program has been killed.

-Curious how many they actually sent out to begin with.
-Not sure what database they pulled from but not many posted here about receiving it and some dont even have MKIII/MKIV anymore. That in itself makes it questionable.
-Not much time for word of mouth to go around before the surveys expired .
-Also no way for unreached owners to verify ownership and get said survey. We registered with Toyota but no dice.

Im skeptical. I hope Im wrong, but logic seems to point to the most minimum effort to say "hey we tried!", probably just like that SEMA TRD Zupra with the "functional vents" they technically didnt lie.

*Edited: For clarity.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Didn't have high hopes for this program at all. It was very suspicious how they announced their plans for a "heritage program" right after all the negative responses for launching a BMW for their halo car. Just sounds like it's part of their marketing plan for damage control.

·
iSPOOL
1,320 Posts
If the survey was sent out a month ago I think its way too early to assume the program is officially dead. Data collection to production manufacturing wouldn't be that fast no?
I know we send out surveys to guests and its for ideas in the coming year(s).

·
Registered
158 Posts
If the survey was sent out a month ago I think its way too early to assume the program is officially dead. Data collection to production manufacturing wouldn't be that fast no?
I know we send out surveys to guests and its for ideas in the coming year(s).
Not saying its dead, but I find it suspect how quickly it was closed. And where they pulled their information from, there was no way to allow dissemination of the survey and/or verification process as again we have a few that are no longer owners. I hope Im wrong. The more parts are scarce the higher the price to upkeep and even worse the cars will die off due to being unable to maintain them.

·
From the land down under
4,040 Posts
My response about this further up the page was nothing to do with expecting parts to be manufactured already, Shady, it was more a comment about how Toyota do not seem to have taken a global approach to gathering the data they need, in order to work out what parts the community want/need.
As I mentioned, there was zero about it down here in NZ, and given the majority of Supras were JDM, it seems like an awfully large chunk of the market to not try and reach out to.

In my opinion, its been handled terribly, and because of the lack of data they will have received, it would be all they would need to turn around and say its dead in the water, due to lack of interest, whereas that's far from reality... It just wasn't planned or thought out properly in the first place :(

Just my observations, nothing more, or less

·
iSPOOL
1,320 Posts
My response about this further up the page was nothing to do with expecting parts to be manufactured already, Shady, it was more a comment about how Toyota do not seem to have taken a global approach to gathering the data they need, in order to work out what parts the community want/need.
As I mentioned, there was zero about it down here in NZ, and given the majority of Supras were JDM, it seems like an awfully large chunk of the market to not try and reach out to.

In my opinion, its been handled terribly, and because of the lack of data they will have received, it would be all they would need to turn around and say its dead in the water, due to lack of interest, whereas that's far from reality... It just wasn't planned or thought out properly in the first place :(

Just my observations, nothing more, or less
So do we know if this survey was sent to Japanese owners as well? The two main markets would be Japan and the United States so the absence of it in New Zealand isn't too surprising. The data collected from Japan would be sufficient for JDM requirements wouldn't you think?
My exposure with surveys is a company wouldn't need to ask every single owner to gather the quality information and the timeframe is often quite limited since sometimes the process is outsourced to 3rd party clients. I didn't get the survey either but I'm hopeful they have the information necessary to proceed forward.

Then again we trusted them before and they failed....

·
iSPOOL
1,320 Posts
And I don't work for toyota but I wouldn't think it would have been at SEMA since the focus was on the 2020 model. I would want that to be the focus instead of peeling attention away to something else. Just like how the Corvette team avoided talks about ZO6 and ZR1 trim levels, the focus was strictly on the C8 Stingray. Disney's focus is Galaxy Edge and Rise of the Resistance and Disney Plus, not rides opening in 2020 or for the 50th Anniversary in 2021. A staged approach maybe? I could be 100% wrong. I just want new door cards, floor mats, and TRD LSD Diff lol.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Finally heard back from Toyota Canada... they had no idea what I was talking about. Talked to several people in customer service...
They said it was a "Trial Run" in Japan only and the Survey was for the US market only. Doubt Canada will see any parts... sucks.

·
From the land down under
4,040 Posts
So do we know if this survey was sent to Japanese owners as well? The two main markets would be Japan and the United States so the absence of it in New Zealand isn't too surprising. The data collected from Japan would be sufficient for JDM requirements wouldn't you think?
My exposure with surveys is a company wouldn't need to ask every single owner to gather the quality information and the timeframe is often quite limited since sometimes the process is outsourced to 3rd party clients. I didn't get the survey either but I'm hopeful they have the information necessary to proceed forward.

Then again we trusted them before and they failed....
Dont get me wrong, mate, I have no belief that NZ is the centre of the JDM universe, but the reality is that many of the JDM A80's made it to here and Australia, we even got a few NZ new ones back in 93 that were listed for $165,000, and both countries have always had a big following of the model. There have been so many of these cars written off over the years too, but to presume that nearly all JDM A80's are still in Japan, and that they can speak for everyone else would be far from the mark IMO. Although I think we can agree that most owners want/need similar parts, haha.

Given there are no shortage of Supra car forums, and FB pages etc, it just seems ludicrous that when planning this heritage program, that Toyota didnt have a well planned approach, to ensure that all of the main places people gather to discuss our beloved platform, would have a chance to have their say. I mean, how hard would it be for Toyota US to come on to this very forum and make an announcement? Not hard at all, and its that kind of shortsightedness that makes me very unsure of what the outcome of this program will end up in.

Finally heard back from Toyota Canada... they had no idea what I was talking about. Talked to several people in customer service...
They said it was a "Trial Run" in Japan only and the Survey was for the US market only. Doubt Canada will see any parts... sucks.
This is exactly what I am talking about. :(

How hard would it have been for Toyota to make a global announcement to all of its dealerships, so that they could at least given an answer to any enquiries, or to at least point us in the right direction?

·
iSPOOL
1,320 Posts
Dont get me wrong, mate, I have no belief that NZ is the centre of the JDM universe, but the reality is that many of the JDM A80's made it to here and Australia, we even got a few NZ new ones back in 93 that were listed for $165,000, and both countries have always had a big following of the model. There have been so many of these cars written off over the years too, but to presume that nearly all JDM A80's are still in Japan, and that they can speak for everyone else would be far from the mark IMO. Although I think we can agree that most owners want/need similar parts, haha.

Given there are no shortage of Supra car forums, and FB pages etc, it just seems ludicrous that when planning this heritage program, that Toyota didnt have a well planned approach, to ensure that all of the main places people gather to discuss our beloved platform, would have a chance to have their say. I mean, how hard would it be for Toyota US to come on to this very forum and make an announcement? Not hard at all, and its that kind of shortsightedness that makes me very unsure of what the outcome of this program will end up in.

This is exactly what I am talking about. :(

How hard would it have been for Toyota to make a global announcement to all of its dealerships, so that they could at least given an answer to any enquiries, or to at least point us in the right direction?
Oh I agree it wouldn't be hard for them to announce a survey but we have to acknowledge this isn't an official Toyota blog or forum so I wouldn't realistically expect Toyota or any company to take that approach.

·
From the land down under
4,040 Posts
It may not be an official Toyota blog or forum, but Im going to go out on a limb here and guess that this forum has(had)more passionate Supra owners on it, than any other site on the net.

Seems silly if they chose to overlook this

·
Registered
96 Posts
I contacted my local dealer regarding the heritage program.
I'm on very good terms with this dealership, as I've allowed them to take a photoshoot with my car next to their Zupra. They also give me free labor for basic maintenance.

They've caught wind of the program, but that's all. They haven't received any official word from corporate, and aren't aware of anything in motion as of yet.
They assured me i'll be notified if anything changes(which I don't doubt, they want my car on the premises as often as possible).

121 - 140 of 218 Posts