Supra Forums banner

141 - 160 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
I wish Toyota had a similar mindset as Nissan when it came to the enthusiast market. Nissan definitely seems to be more of an enthusiast brand these days, Toyota is simply about the bottom line. Seeing Nissan actively developing and investing in ways to make reproduction parts more financially feasible like in this article is great. Wish Toyota would take note.

Nissan

·
From the land down under
3,809 Posts
I wish Toyota had a similar mindset as Nissan when it came to the enthusiast market. Nissan definitely seems to be more of an enthusiast brand these days, Toyota is simply about the bottom line. Seeing Nissan actively developing and investing in ways to make reproduction parts more financially feasible like in this article is great. Wish Toyota would take note.

Nissan
I wish I understood Japanese, but thank you for posting the clip. Very interesting :)

·
iSPOOL
1,064 Posts
"The Nissan GT-R is a true Japanese supercar that took inspiration from its homeland to help it stand out from the field. Nissan’s chief creative officer, Shiro Nakamura, explained: “The GT-R is unique because it is not simply a copy of a European-designed sports car; it had to really reflect Japanese culture”. Whilst its European counterparts have elegant flowing lines and drop-top variants, the Nissan GT-R is bristling with muscle, intent, and technology. There is the undeniable menace of a Japanese movie monster."

That excerpt perfectly states the difference in current leadership between Nissan and Toyota. "....not simply a copy of a European designed sports car."

·
Registered
76 Posts
"The Nissan GT-R is a true Japanese supercar that took inspiration from its homeland to help it stand out from the field. Nissan’s chief creative officer, Shiro Nakamura, explained: “The GT-R is unique because it is not simply a copy of a European-designed sports car; it had to really reflect Japanese culture”. Whilst its European counterparts have elegant flowing lines and drop-top variants, the Nissan GT-R is bristling with muscle, intent, and technology. There is the undeniable menace of a Japanese movie monster."

That excerpt perfectly states the difference in current leadership between Nissan and Toyota. "....not simply a copy of a European designed sports car."
I think the problem simply stems from the lack of demand. The market for Japanese sport coupes really isn't there. In this age of crossovers, EVs, and emphasis on practicality it's a wonder people are still buying GTRs, BRZ/FRSs, and Miatas at all. And the sales numbers really show it.

The 90s were a very different time in the automotive market.

Toyota doesn't need to establish a sporty/racey brand image and retain heritage racecar loyalty the way Nissan does.

·
iSPOOL
1,064 Posts
I think the problem simply stems from the lack of demand. The market for Japanese sport coupes really isn't there. In this age of crossovers, EVs, and emphasis on practicality it's a wonder people are still buying GTRs, BRZ/FRSs, and Miatas at all. And the sales numbers really show it.

The 90s were a very different time in the automotive market.

Toyota doesn't need to establish a sporty/racey brand image and retain heritage racecar loyalty the way Nissan does.
I agree the mass produced market is fixated on crossovers and pick up trucks I've made that point plenty times but they still went and made a sports car that is essentially a bmw (Yes I know the horse has been beaten). And I understand a niche style sports car isn't going to make a huge profit but it should still be designed, built, and made at home. The demand was there if the right car was built. If not in Japan then around the world.
Meanwhile the 40,000 allotment of 2020 C8 Corvettes for the US was sold out before production began. I know Corvette is a much stronger name than Supra but people are still buying sports cars.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Still hopeful. Obviously production would stay take at least a year but even if we get a modest list of reproduced parts (like discontinued dash panels, door cards, floor mats, rubber trims) Id be satisfied.

Of course we’d all want factory fresh v160s but that’s not gonna happen.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Still hopeful. Obviously production would stay take at least a year but even if we get a modest list of reproduced parts (like discontinued dash panels, door cards, floor mats, rubber trims) Id be satisfied.

Of course we’d all want factory fresh v160s but that’s not gonna happen.
I still don't really understand why Getrag completely stopped making parts for it. There's something like 15k RHD/LHD Supras that came with the v160.
Also how much could it cost to keep the assembly machines necessary for the manufacturing, or retrofit new machines with the ability to make v160 parts.

If companies like Grannas are investing the R&D to make T56 swaps, surely Getrag/Toyota could make some $$ manufacturing/printing/selling copies of a 25yr old design..
Then companies like Grannas would be making swap kits for the v160, not T56..

Seems like Toyota just really gives 0 fucks.
When considering their bottom line, we're drops in their bucket.

·
From the land down under
3,809 Posts
Somebody more knowledgeable than myself will correct me if I am wrong, but I have a strong recollection of the reason for lack of support being that Toyota fell out of favour with Getrag, and that's when the support, or any chance of future collaborations (mkv anyone?) ended

·
Registered
41 Posts
Toyota is not making parts because of the lack of profitability. Plain and simple. It's obvious the aftermarket world doesn't see the green either and talk is cheap. I believe that the serious members should unite and create a pool of funds ready to offer anyone that can accommodate the desires of the forum. It's easy to say we want certain parts to be reproduced, but how many would pull the trigger and make a purchase right now, if they started production of 97/98 dash panels tomorrow for example? I would wager that many would put off the purchase because they would no longer be scarce. We have been very fortunate for years of service from Elmhurst etc., especially because of the discounts we enjoyed. If 500 members could afford to invest 1k in the fund, that would equate to half a million dollars. That might attract the consideration of someone important, who could help get the ball rolling for legit replicas at least. The more disposable income we could gather, the better off we are. 500k is likely not enough, when you consider the price of what minty MKIV are sometimes selling for. Perhaps one of the respected OGs could lead the charge and organize this endeavor? Ken Henderson? Silver Bullet? Wreckless? I am willing to put in the first grand and I DON'T even own a MKIV yet.

·
Anime Dork
5,252 Posts
As the person who orders a lot of supra parts for most everyone here. i can see Toyota slowly phasing out parts little by little. Today i finally received an order of rear quarter glass that had been placed over a month ago and it's finally going out today. there is almost no rear quarter glass in stock in any warehouse in the US. i have a feeling this will be next to go on the ever growing discontinued list. so if toyota plans on doing this "Heritage" program they, at least to me, don't seem to be going about it in the correct way.

·
Administrator
8,398 Posts
Its cheap lip service marketing. They are not bringing back any parts. Change my mind.

·
From the land down under
3,809 Posts
Sadly, I believe this to be true ^

I still need to buy new quarter windows, as they are the last items I need so that I can do a full glass out respray at some point in the future. I would be gutted to not buy them soon, in the false belief that Toyota will make new ones in the future.

My advice to everybody is to write a list of things you need/want for your car, either now, or the future, and find a way to purchase everything ASAP. Other discretionary things like new tv's and appliances can wait, Supra parts cant.

·
Anime Dork
5,252 Posts
parts i feel that will more than likely be discontinued in 2020 are fenders and quarter panels. there are only a few available in the US currently.

·
Registered
106 Posts

·
iSPOOL
1,064 Posts
What the "etc"? Lol why not list everything or say more TBD.

·
iSPOOL
1,064 Posts
141 - 160 of 183 Posts