Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· I have auto ADD.
7,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took our 2001 Tacoma in for some rear brake work and was informed that they would be replacing the frame for free. Apparently rust has perforated the frame and they are now replacing frames on Tacomas on model years 2001-04 if they are perforated. In addition to replacing the frame, they will be replacing the springs, control arms, brake lines, and probably some other things that I'm forgetting. :rockon:

· Registered
1,065 Posts
They used to buy back Tacomas at I think KBB value over this frame rot issue,guess Toyota realized it's cheaper to just replace the frame. A friend's Taco falls in the frame rot buyback/recall/whatever but he loves the truck so much (and it's paid off) that he doesn't want to give it up LOL. This should be good news to him them.

· I have auto ADD.
7,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They used to buy back Tacomas at I think KBB value over this frame rot issue,guess Toyota realized it's cheaper to just replace the frame. A friend's Taco falls in the frame rot buyback/recall/whatever but he loves the truck so much (and it's paid off) that he doesn't want to give it up LOL. This should be good news to him them.
They were buying back 95-00s and are now replacing frames on 01-04s.

· Registered
18,343 Posts
They were buying back 95-00s and are now replacing frames on 01-04s.
They were buying those trucks at HIGHER than KBB value.

· Registered
18,343 Posts

· Registered
18,343 Posts
Damn, sounds like easy money for a dealer then...
Toyota may be wise to this though, maybe they are requiring people to show they have owned the vehicle for X period of time?!?!?

· Administrator
20,577 Posts
So in theory I could buy a 95-00 Tacoma with frame issues at 60-70% of KBB at the auction and sell it to Toyota for 1.5x KBB?
Sounds way too good to be true, but wouldn't that be nice? Maybe they only allow it to happen once per customer and keep record of that to prevent dealers from trying to do this. They are a smart company and I'm guessing there are some safeguards in place to protect them from this.

· I have auto ADD.
7,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So in theory I could buy a 95-00 Tacoma with frame issues at 60-70% of KBB at the auction and sell it to Toyota for 1.5x KBB?
On a similar note, have you heard of the new government program "cash for clunkers?" You get $3500-4500 for trading in an old car that gets bad gas mileage for a new car with better mileage. I would just go buy a POS car for a couple hundred dollars and get a nice fat discount on a new car...

· Registered
18,343 Posts
On a similar note, have you heard of the new government program "cash for clunkers?" You get $3500-4500 for trading in an old car that gets bad gas mileage for a new car with better mileage. I would just go buy a POS car for a couple hundred dollars and get a nice fat discount on a new car...
I think on that one it does state the vehicle must have been titled in your name for at least a year.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.