Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went in to the dealership to pick up my replacement ashtray and when I came out a "mechanic" was looking at the car. He asks if he can see the engine and so on. After looking at it he wants to know if I did the "twin turbo conversion"? He was actually under the impression that supra's only came stock with a single turbo:hahano: . I doubt I am ever going to let the dealership work on my car:nono: .

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
Last time I pulled into the local Toyota dealership lot a couple guys who work there came over ...they said to admire my car... and then they asked "is it a Celica?" In spite of dumb sales guys, fortunately their top mechanic knows Supras well and was wrenching on the dealership owner's Toyota 2000GT in the corner of the service area.

·
aKa Blk96SupraTT
3,866 Posts
I was at the stealership a while back and pulled in to just pick up some little shit and get an extra key made, so all the sales guys were just looking. So since they were remodeling so parking was pretty bad. So i was just waiting for a better spot and finally parked. One sales guy came up to me and ask all the usual questions. But the funniest thing was he was tring to buy the car from me infront of other customers. All he kept saying was how much you wanna sell it for.

·
Registered
872 Posts
the mechanic at the local Toyota asked if my car have twin or single turbo the week after I put the pt 67 on . I said single. man , let me tell you his face so disappionted,he said something like oh...I like those 3.0 ,inline 6 ,320 hp ,twin turbo.... then ,I said something like" man , you sure know the Supra very well ..."and went on my way to the part dept.
I wonder what he will say if I tell him I have twins last week, I think he may say "yes, right!"

·
wasting my life on SF
1,808 Posts
that sbecause most people are retarded. they think "if one is good, two is better"

·
Banned
5,941 Posts
My car came stock single... but it's not really a Supra just an MK3. Anyways, I have some speedhut gauge faces in my car, and on the tach it has the TRD emblem. When I pulled in the parts department some guys were looking at my car and the MK4. Some guys asked me if it's turbo and I said yes. Then he looks at my dash and says, "oh you have the TRD dash." I just reply, "yes I do."

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
I think you guys forget to realize that an ugraded twin turbp setup would be more ideal on a supra - power acrosss the board. However maintenance, space and cost issues have made it prohibitive for most. Nevertheless an upgraded single turbo is in most cases better than the oem twins. most current single setups aregreat for dragging; some are geared for road racing. Compared to larger displacement cars, a single turbo will have difficulty dominating both a road course and drag strip - a good driver can minimize the single turbo difficiences. Given current turbo technology we would need two upgraded twins to generate power across the board like a stout v8+. for example, porsche 997tt utilizes (vanos) twin turbos so that power can me from like 2800 till redline.

·
Registered
231 Posts
that sbecause most people are retarded. they think "if one is good, two is better"
LOL couldnt have said it better myself, good choice of wording :p

i keep getting the "is that a 2007?" question... heh i got the "Twin turbo is better" a couple times too, or the "oh... ITS AN AUTOMATIC!?" and then followed by the disgusted look... i laugh at that one all the time! im tired of explaining the true potentials of a supra TT auto tranny, heh.

all this to say that people arent informed, they talk out of their arse and thing they know better about your car than you do when its the first time they ever saw one... lol

·
Registered
635 Posts
the only reason why you would go to the toyota dealership is to get some touch up paint...cant think of anything else.. !!!

·
Registered
872 Posts
how about something like this (ford saleman at least not toyota's)
saleman:celica?
me: supra.
saleman:celica-supra!
me:...
saleman:automatic???:hsugh: I like the turbo one.
me: it's turbo.
saleman::scratch: one or two?
me: one!
saleman:....I can get you a 08 mustang GT....

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
In people's defence, you do realize these things haven't been around since 1998 - of course. I bet most of the mechanics these days have never worked on them - just think about the turnover at these dealerships and constantly getting new and unexperienced mechanics. I could bet you more than half the mechanics at Toyota these days have never even seen under the hood of one of these - and at the very least never turned a wrench on them. These things are rare and old now.

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
In people's defence, you do realize these things haven't been around since 1998 - of course. I bet most of the mechanics these days have never worked on them - just think about the turnover at these dealerships and constantly getting new and unexperienced mechanics. I could bet you more than half the mechanics at Toyota these days have never even seen under the hood of one of these - and at the very least never turned a wrench on them. These things are rare and old now.
While true, most of these people's responses are responses that would only come from people that think they know about the car. If you don't know just ask. Don't make a total jackass of yourself in front of the owner, who is prob the only one there that knows how stupid the statements most of these guys say are.

Alex

·
Fast Enough, Never Is.
920 Posts
If most of the people saw under the hood of a Supra and tried to work on the twins they would know why we go single, it just makes since. Plus fewer lines and less headache, they ask why I say why not.

·
Registered
231 Posts
While true, most of these people's responses are responses that would only come from people that think they know about the car. If you don't know just ask. Don't make a total jackass of yourself in front of the owner, who is prob the only one there that knows how stupid the statements most of these guys say are.

Alex
my sentiments exactly... i may own a supra but i dont know everything about cars lol, but im also not afraid to ask! if i c something on a car that i dont 100% know what it is, i ask so i can make sure!!

·
Fast Enough, Never Is.
920 Posts
I learned way back when I had my 3000GT dealerships don't know a lot and really aren't all they are cracked up to be. If you work on your car most of the times you will know more about that car than the dealership.

·
Wingless By Choice
63 Posts
I had to go to Toyota a few days ago to pick up a new license plate fastener (still don't know how it broke). I've got a 95 with a Veilside C1 body kit, had it for a long time (flame away, I don't care, it was the coolest thing when it was new!). I get out of the car, head to the door, and one of the two salesmen outside smoking stops me and asks "What kind of car is that?" I figured the bodykit may have thrown him off a bit, so I say "Supra". The other guy takes a drag from his smoke and says "So you interested in buying a TOYOTA instead?" I was still laughing at him when I walked out. Never been there for service, now I remember why. Most of the people who sell cars or service them these days are totally out of the loop when it comes to cars like ours.

Regards,

Raven

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I get out of the car, head to the door, and one of the two salesmen outside smoking stops me and asks "What kind of car is that?" I figured the bodykit may have thrown him off a bit, so I say "Supra". The other guy takes a drag from his smoke and says "So you interested in buying a TOYOTA instead?" I was still laughing at him when I walked out.

Priceless!

I can see the photo now. You walking towards your Riced Out Supra (just kidding) with your head down in disgust - while a slick looking, handle bar moustache sales person smoking a cig leaning against the wall is saying "You interested in Buying a Toyota instead?"

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
lol this thread is funny, Sounds like we have some educated people working at Toyota...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts