Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've twice encountered problems which I'm unsure if its coolant related.
Some time ago when i first introduced toyota red coolant (before that i ran without coolant), my water pump started to leak the very next day. Thinking nothing more of it, i got it repaired. I ran on distilled water for a month and reintroduced the red coolant. In two days, my radiator is leaking.
The foremen have asked me about the "abrasive" nature of the coolant used.
Is this purely coincidental or has anyone encountered similar problems?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Unless I am mistaken, toyota red coolant has some lubricating properties. If you were running pure distilled water without running water wetter you might have damaged your water pump. Water wetter has lubricant properties. Straight water alone is not recommended.
Barry H.

·
Super Moderator
46,550 Posts
THROUGH EXTENSIVE RESEARCH AND TESTING,TOYOTA ENGINEERS APPROVED THE DEVELOPMENT OF A NEW NON-SILICATE PRODUCT.GENUINE TOYOTA LONG LIFE ANTIFREEZE/COOLANT PROVIDES SUPERIOR HIGH PERFROMANCE PROTECTION FOR ALL METALS WITHOUT DETERIORATION OF THE WATER PUMP SEAL.TOYOTA ANTIFREEZE/COOLANT IS THE TECHNOLOGICALLY ADVANCED RED FLUID DESIGNED BY THE FACTORY SPECIFICALLY FOR TOYOTA COOLING SYSTEMS.THE AMOUNT OF SILICATE GEL FORMATION IN ANTIFREEZE/COOLANT IS RELATED TO THE AMOUNT OF DAMAGE THE WATER PUMP SEAL CAN EXPERIENCE.ANTIFREEZE/COOLANTS WITH A HIGH CONCENTRATION OF SILICATES HAVE HIGHER INCIDENCE OF SEAL DAMAGE AND RADIATOR/HEATER CORE BLOCKAGE.TEST RESULTS SHOW THAT THE RED TOYOTA ANTIFREEZE/COOLANT FORMS NO HARMFULL DEPOSITS WHILE THE COMPETIVE SILICATE BRANDS PRODUCED A CONSIDERABLE AMOUNT. IT'S A NON SILICATE,EXTREMELY DURABLE PRODUCT THAT HELPS EXTEND THE LIFE OF THE WATER PUMP SEALS.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ianong said:
I've twice encountered problems which I'm unsure if its coolant related.
Some time ago when i first introduced toyota red coolant (before that i ran without coolant), my water pump started to leak the very next day. Thinking nothing more of it, i got it repaired. I ran on distilled water for a month and reintroduced the red coolant. In two days, my radiator is leaking.
The foremen have asked me about the "abrasive" nature of the coolant used.
Is this purely coincidental or has anyone encountered similar problems?
I had the same problem as well. I took it too a old school toyota mechanic and he told me the Toyota red coolant is known to cause leaks if you go back to it (he owns several modified toyotas and doesnt run the red stuff). He recommended the green stuff and I havint had a problem since.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bwill said:
Unless I am mistaken, toyota red coolant has some lubricating properties. If you were running pure distilled water without running water wetter you might have damaged your water pump. Water wetter has lubricant properties. Straight water alone is not recommended.
Barry H.
i had water wetter in there all the time, just without toyota red. long time before that, i was using the green stuff (without any problems) but was advised by other members to switch to red. Thats when the leaks began. The red may or may not be the cause of it, but the leaks sure did arise immediately after the red introduction.
If there are other members experiencing this then there may be some truth in it.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Did you flush out all of the green crap before adding red? IF the red and green coolants mix, it can cause a chemical reaction and some very bad things to happen.

Just about every Supra out there uses Toyota red coolant, and has no problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts