Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
supra7
527 Posts
2jz and LS swap central. Hell I would put a old skool carb 350 in it just to piss people off

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Funny enough, my favorite Supras were powered by 4-cyilnders... and they had a habit of being quite dominant in their field. Granted, this was one of those "right tool for the job" situations, so take it for what it's worth. :)

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
LOL... 4 banger Zupra... 🤮 🤢 :ROFLMAO:

Polls on other forums says 90% buyers want a manual and only 10% want a gay shitty 4 banger. So what does Toyota do? Fucking lame, you're dead to me Toyota.

·
Read Only
12 Posts
Funny enough, my favorite Supras were powered by 4-cyilnders... and they had a habit of being quite dominant in their field. Granted, this was one of those "right tool for the job" situations, so take it for what it's worth. :)
Not to mention the MK4s that actually accomplished something were all L4 or V8 as well. Tho when it comes to this one no idea how the B48's been so far, I've had my eyes only on the B58/S58 when it comes to the current Supra lineup. And the four cylinder market is far more competitive than in the 80s and early 90s so I doubt BMW was slacking, especially as it's been in production for quite a while now.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
While it's a rare day for a turbo 4 to put out a sound anywhere near as good as an inline 6, the performance of them these days is nothing to sneeze at. The car that took CAM at SCCA Nationals last year? Yep, turbo 2.0L Camaro, because handling matters. Granted, there's more to the story than just the headline, of course, but the fact remains that the car that took the CAM class had the fewest cylinders. It's the same strategy Toyota employed in JGTC...

Might be interesting to see if the GT3 version of the current Supra is powered by this 4-banger in some form...

·
Super Moderator
10,482 Posts
te72, there have been only 6 cylinder Supras since the beginning (1979). Until this car, there has never a 4-banger. Talk about trashing a legacy.

Also, JGTC cars used the 3S-GTE motor because of its weight advantages over the 2JZ-GTE, the fact that the 3S could easily meet the maximum power limit and the ability to make the cars front mid-engine.

Ken.

·
Read Only
12 Posts
While it's a rare day for a turbo 4 to put out a sound anywhere near as good as an inline 6, the performance of them these days is nothing to sneeze at. The car that took CAM at SCCA Nationals last year? Yep, turbo 2.0L Camaro, because handling matters. Granted, there's more to the story than just the headline, of course, but the fact remains that the car that took the CAM class had the fewest cylinders. It's the same strategy Toyota employed in JGTC...

Might be interesting to see if the GT3 version of the current Supra is powered by this 4-banger in some form...
Gonna drop my self into this convo. I doubt they'd do a GT3 car, they have to use the same block and head as in road cars I believe so that eliminates the possibility of using a V8. And they already have a GT3 car in the form of a Lexus RC F so kind of pointless of running 2 projects for the same customer base. They didn't show any GT3 concepts, just a racing concept and a GT4 concept.

Where I see the Supra going is GT4 and GT500, and I believe they're already homologated. Which makes sense, GT500 is 2.0 Inline 4 anyway and has no shortage of power pushing well over 600 PS, and GT4 is pretty low spec that they don't need a V8.

·
Now...Whitesupra94
3,283 Posts
edit: nevermind. Where's the delete post button these days?

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
te72, there have been only 6 cylinder Supras since the beginning (1979). Until this car, there has never a 4-banger. Talk about trashing a legacy.

Also, JGTC cars used the 3S-GTE motor because of its weight advantages over the 2JZ-GTE, the fact that the 3S could easily meet the maximum power limit and the ability to make the cars front mid-engine.

Ken.
Was only referring to the JGTC cars in regard to the four banger Ken, and very familiar with their history. Those particular Supras are a big part of what imprinted the Supra on my heart. If I were building a strictly race car with an emphasis on handling or class restrictions in mind, I would consider a four banger. A street car though? Inline six all the way, at least for heavy cars like these.

This car though, ugh... I'm sure the handling is nice, but the sound? No thanks. To me the only good sounding four bangers are either slow (and often carbureted) or rev like crazy, 8k+ minimum.

Gonna drop my self into this convo. I doubt they'd do a GT3 car, they have to use the same block and head as in road cars I believe so that eliminates the possibility of using a V8. And they already have a GT3 car in the form of a Lexus RC F so kind of pointless of running 2 projects for the same customer base. They didn't show any GT3 concepts, just a racing concept and a GT4 concept.

Where I see the Supra going is GT4 and GT500, and I believe they're already homologated. Which makes sense, GT500 is 2.0 Inline 4 anyway and has no shortage of power pushing well over 600 PS, and GT4 is pretty low spec that they don't need a V8.
My mistake, I was mixing up GT3 and GT4. Not really a class I follow all that closely these days, but I can appreciate how accessible they are, relatively speaking. From the cars I've seen in GT4, I'd say this car would be well suited for it, if set up right. They definitely have their work cut out for them though!

·
Registered
361 Posts
A lot of reviewers seem to prefer the 4 cylinder over the 6 which points to the better model being an even bigger failure than originally suspected lol.

·
2,118 Posts
Another 4 banger review..

Matt didn't sound overly excited in the 2.0. He's not terribly impressed. He says the downgrades on the parts make the 2.0 much more boring. Feels like they removed parts to get to a price point he said. He said the 3.0 is not a great Toyota sports car, the 2.0 is not even a great sports car.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Matt didn't sound overly excited in the 2.0. He's not terribly impressed. He says the downgrades on the parts make the 2.0 much more boring. Feels like they removed parts to get to a price point he said. He said the 3.0 is not a great Toyota sports car, the 2.0 is not even a great sports car.
He said "The 3.0 is a fine sports car, but not feeling like a halo Toyota product..."

CUZ it's a BMW, aka Broke Motor Wagon. :p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts