Supra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I titled this the way I did in hopes that DD (or someone who has done this) will provide some direction/recommendations and make this a sticky. I purchased the Map Light LED that is listed for the Supra application and it was not very plug and play. I did call and got assistance with one of the issues but, no recommendations on how to install/placement of the LED board. The product that was delivered to me had two bulb adapters and an LED board with two-sided tape in order to attach it somewhere. Neither of the adapters were the right ones for the dome light which is an 1157 bulb (I think) that has two small poles at the end of it vs. the spring loaded and wedge type adapters that they send. The 1157 adapter is on its way to me.

The placement of the LED board is a little bit of a mystery to me. The board itself is a pretty good size. If you stick it to the top of the housing it seems like the adapter in the bulb socket will block the light although it will be pointed in the downward direction that you want it. if you stick it to the side of the housing it seems that the light will be directed sideways and not "out" of the lens. This side area also has reflective metal on it that will now be covered up that was probably helpful when the normal bulb was in there.

It seems as though DD did an actual install on a Supra and took pictures of it in their studio so I'm very curious as to how they did it because it looks great in pics and they should be able to share. Unless they just place the LED board facing downward on the plastic lens and didn't attach it to anything for the purposes of the picture. Here's the post with the pic.

We are still getting the listings updated and getting the comparison shots added to the website. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask: (314) 205-3033

Nick C.

·
Master Shit Fixer
4,976 Posts
Westley, I don't know about your mounting question, but I just wanted to point out that in the DD interior picture you quoted, the dome light is NOT providing all of the light that you see. There is clearly another light source to the left of the camera. Look at the left side of the steering wheel. The dome light would not account for the spectral reflection seen there. Also, the left bolster of the driver's seat shows reflection that indicates a light source to the left and above the camera.

·
Registered
698 Posts
OP,

Here's a comparison between the stock incandescent bulb and our SMD12 LED board replacement:

The Supra uses a BA9S for the map light location, which is also referred to as a mini-bayonet. They are very uncommon bulbs, but we include the BA9S adapter which plugs directly into the factory socket.

The 12-SMD board itself has adhesive on the back on it which can be mounted to the inside of the housing and then you can reinstall the factory lens cover.

If you have any installation questions, please feel free to give me a call directly: (314) 205-3033 ext. 206

Thank you,
Nick C.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks Nick. I received the mini-bayonet adapters yesterday as they didn't come with my initial order.

Understand you mount the board with the adhesive. Can you indicate specifically where you mounted the board in the demo car below? Inside at the top of the housing or on the side of the housing (towards front or rear)? Due to the nature of what you're doing you really can't experiment with what location works best. Thanks.

OP,

Here's a comparison between the stock incandescent bulb and our SMD12 LED board replacement:

The Supra uses a BA9S for the map light location, which is also referred to as a mini-bayonet. They are very uncommon bulbs, but we include the BA9S adapter which plugs directly into the factory socket.

The 12-SMD board itself has adhesive on the back on it which can be mounted to the inside of the housing and then you can reinstall the factory lens cover.

If you have any installation questions, please feel free to give me a call directly: (314) 205-3033 ext. 206

Thank you,
Nick C.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Thanks Nick. I received the mini-bayonet adapters yesterday as they didn't come with my initial order.

Understand you mount the board with the adhesive. Can you indicate specifically where you mounted the board in the demo car below? Inside at the top of the housing or on the side of the housing (towards front or rear)? Due to the nature of what you're doing you really can't experiment with what location works best. Thanks.
Any location or position inside the housing with the lens cover on will work, preferably a flat surface of course, so you have a solid place to mount the board.

It's a universal product, so the installation location really comes down to personal preference

Nick C.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Was hoping to understand where you mounted yours as it seemed to work well. However, in trying to mount mine there are no flat surfaces that will accommodate the size of the LED board. Not sure if its possible that the 97-98 housing is different from the 93-96, but I am unable to achieve the results you did with the item I received. I am attaching pics. The board is too long to mount to the top as it hits the bulb holder and too wide to mount to the side as it covers the lens tabs.

Also, the mini-bayonet adapters I received are wired backwards. The red and black wires do not match up when putting the connectors together. As you know, the connectors only work/connect one way so I can't just turn it around so it matches.

Attachments

·
Registered
698 Posts
Was hoping to understand where you mounted yours as it seemed to work well. However, in trying to mount mine there are no flat surfaces that will accommodate the size of the LED board. Not sure if its possible that the 97-98 housing is different from the 93-96, but I am unable to achieve the results you did with the item I received. I am attaching pics. The board is too long to mount to the top as it hits the bulb holder and too wide to mount to the side as it covers the lens tabs.

Also, the mini-bayonet adapters I received are wired backwards. The red and black wires do not match up when putting the connectors together. As you know, the connectors only work/connect one way so I can't just turn it around so it matches.
My apologies for the connector, please send us a PM for more troubleshooting tips. I have a few suggestions that will aid in making this universal product fit your housings better

Nick C.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.