Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At this point in time I'm becoming more and more conflicted about what car to purchase. I have the option of getting a mint RX-7, 1993 original rotary with 48,xxx km confirmed on the clock with nothing at all wrong with it. But, I know little to nothing about rotary engines. So if something blows up, I have to pay someone to fix it or find a buddy who knows what to do.

My second option that I could get would be a 1993 MK4 Supra with a 2JZ GE with 114,xxx km confirmed, a slightly cracked bumper which I would need to take to my auto body guy to get fixed. It's not the color I'd like but I can live with that. I'd also do a 2JZ GTE swap anyways so the 2JZ GE and KM count doesn't matter too too much.

The purpose of both these cars would be to drive as my daily through out the summer months (May - September roughly) but also have fun with it while I'm on a straight away. I want to build/upgrade something with roughly 450~500 HP with the ability to grow. I've heard a lot of good things and bad things about the MK4 Supra and RX-7 so the choice for me is hard right now. Both cars are the exact same price so the money to purchase the car doesn't matter.

I've read up on various forums and asked a plethora of questions to people about the cars. The answer is always the RX-7. The RX-7 is honestly beautiful, has good stock power, it's visually appealing and drives well. On the other hand, I'm so much more in love with the Supra, just the whole aspect of the car is amazing. Strong engine(2JZ GTE), nice curves, parts are aren't hard to source and you have room to grow. I know the answer seems obvious with that said but I am still conflicted between the two. As well, this is a Supra forum so I will take that into consideration. Let me know your opinions on both and what you think I should do.

·
Registered
147 Posts
It would depend on how patent you are with up-keeping a car. If you jump into the car and start driving without warmup then the 2jz is better for that. With the rotorys there is a lot more attention needed to keep them running. Add oil to your gas, let it warm up before driving, but there are little improvements you can do to make it more reliable like adding a water/meth injection and upgrading the exhaust system. The supra is more forgiving and has a solid engine to begin with, while the RX-7 would be great on the twisty roads with it's light body and 50/50 weight ratio.

It's a tough answer since both cars are beautiful. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My up keep on the cars I have now is perfect. I change fluids when required and always warm up my cars. Starting to side with the Supra more now lol.

·
Bull Market
1,375 Posts
MKIV hands down and this is coming from a former FD owner. 500WHP and the ability for more will be a challenge in the FD while easily accessible from the 2JZ. I would argue that the FD is more aesthetically pleasing though.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MKIV hands down and this is coming from a former FD owner. 500WHP and the ability for more will be a challenge in the FD while easily accessible from the 2JZ. I would argue that the FD is more aesthetically pleasing though.
Thanks for the info!

·
Administrator
17,247 Posts
Did you say the Supra you were looking at has the 2JZ-GE currently? That is a significant cost factor for you to take into mind, meaning if it's an all stock car and you want to turbocharge it to a significant level of power.

The RX-7 is a timeless classic, but so is the Supra. Assuming there is no long-term penalty to being left with a stranded car (RX-7 likely here), then I'd say to consider your main focus for the car. The Supra can do practically everything well whereas the RX-7 will make you suffer more for what you love, but is far more hardcore (and a bit less useful) in stock form. They are both cult classics, but the easy choice with all things being held equal is the Supra. Just consider your goals and your overall budget and it should help to guide you to the right solution!

Best wishes! :)

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
What is the overall budget you're working with for immediate and long term spending? An Na-t Supra is going to be pretttty damn boring until you swap it whereas the RX7 should be a lot fun right out of the bag and a blast with some basic mods. The 700 or 800lbs in weight savings goes a long way. Once the Supra is to the 500hp range, youre going to need a transmission upgrade in a short matter of time, so make sure you factor that into your budget.

The way I would look at it:

Rx7: Lots of fun with stock and basic power upgrades. Focus on suspension, wheel, tires first. Motor will go. Consider an Lsx swap and you'll have a dead reliable and powerful car. If its down for the winter, regardless, it could make for a fun project to keep you busy during those months.
Supra: 2jzGe + 3,500lbs is not going to be much fun so you'll probably want to swap right away. Moving to the 6 speed is NOT cheap so you should look into the R154 conversion. Once the GTE and built transmission are in there you can finally drive the car hard and enjoy it.

Personally, and with going in prices being equal, I'd go Rx7... you get the short term gratification of a light weight and perfectly balanced car with more than enough power to move 2,700lbs around. Once we lose the rotary, which will happen, you can convert to a v8 for nearly limitless, reliable power. The Supra will get you there as well, but I don't think you'll be having much fun with it until you reach the goal where as the Rx7 could be fun the whole way along.

·
Dreamer
1,628 Posts
I advise against RX-7 simply due to reliability and quality issues. 13B is really sensitive and you really should set aside at least a couple grand for a rebuild in case something goes wrong. Also, the quality of interior leaves so much to be desired. The plastics will break if you stare at them for too long. If it's a second car and you are determined to deal with these problems, then why not. But as a daily driver, hell no.

It really is fun to drive and handles amazingly, but it certainly isn't a car for everyone.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Im not sure what your budget is, but I'd suggest picking something else for daily driving.
RX7 sucks to daily....its hot in the summer, cramped and pita to get in and out of, and sucks gas like crazy (worse than an SUV). The handling and "feel" are amazing, but best left as a weekend vehicle. Also, FYI 40-50k miles and at this age of vehicle you are still likely to have problems (ie. blown motor). Rubber is now 22 years old, if coolant/oil have not been diligently changed, expect issues.

Supra MKIV NA....not worth it imo, especially if you want to ultimately swap. I am not a big fan of motor swaps period....the money is tough to get back out and there always seems to be some compromise in drivability/finish.

Assuming your budget is 15-20k, summertime fun daily.....I'd get a terminator or a C5 vette. Both will be easy to find in EXCELLENT condition, and are very moderate maintenance relative to what you're discussing. And since you are talking about 'daily use'...I dont think you realize how much headache you're potentially getting yourself into with either the RX7 or Supra.

·
iSketch Master!
9,045 Posts
I'd say find another Supra. :lol: I'd not prefer to buy a project car that is going to be my DD. Wait out and buy a TT car, or just get the RX-7 and keep the mods very basic. 500hp daily driver and RX-7 aren't things that go together IMO. Lower you power goal, or skip the car altogether for a DD.

Alex

·
Registered
110 Posts
I would put money on both of these being Rhd imports with the sketchiest of backgrounds. Thus I would suggest neither...

·
Registered
581 Posts
This, x 1000

I'd say find another Supra. :lol: I'd not prefer to buy a project car that is going to be my DD. Wait out and buy a TT car, or just get the RX-7 and keep the mods very basic. 500hp daily driver and RX-7 aren't things that go together IMO. Lower you power goal, or skip the car altogether for a DD.

Alex

·
Registered
164 Posts
I daily drove a 1993 FD built and tuned by Steve Kan, well known rotary builder in Texas, for over a year as an undergraduate. Awesome awesome car and I'll definitely be buying another one at some point and taking it to him for sure! Never had a problem with it except for the shitty gas mileage and constant oil changes. Get the n/a supra if you just want a cruiser that looks great and isn't to crazy on the wallet for gas, oil changes etc. . . Get the fd if its been properly built by a reputable place and you have funds to drop into it if something goes wrong. Otherwise, avoid it!

·
Dreamer
1,628 Posts
It surely is almost a perfect toy :p

However, since C5 Z06's have come down a lot in the prices, it might be a better choice for most people. Swapped cars are always a work in progress. If you like constantly working on your car in order to have everything functioning like it came from factory and having one of a kind car, then I say go for it. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts